Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Fasting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Spending your time in prayer, Bible reading, and Christian fellowship (when not alone) make a big difference. When I fasted with a spiritual end in mind it was not all that hard, and had a positive outcome. Times when I just abstained from food was not pleasant, and had no spiritual benefits.
    I'm glad you find that beneficial. That was exactly the context that was NOT beneficial to me.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

FTR, my objection is not to fasting, or even to people saying they found it to be good and uplifting. My objection is to them claiming it is something we (Xians in general) "ought" to do. That implies a "religious works" mindset; even when that is not the case, it implies non-fasting Xians are somehow defective in their practice or experience, since they are not doing something that they "ought" to do. There is no Scriptural warrant for placing such bonds on them.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
        FTR, my objection is not to fasting, or even to people saying they found it to be good and uplifting. My objection is to them claiming it is something we (Xians in general) "ought" to do. That implies a "religious works" mindset; even when that is not the case, it implies non-fasting Xians are somehow defective in their practice or experience, since they are not doing something that they "ought" to do. There is no Scriptural warrant for placing such bonds on them.
        If you were approaching fasting back then the way you are here, I reiterate that you are approaching it with the wrong attitude. It seems to me that "works"-averse Christians tend to categorize whatever they don't want to do as a "work" so they can use the excuse of "not doing works for salvation" to not do it. Those who are hung up on "works" need to go and re-read the Epistle of James. The NT strongly implies that Christians will fast, and there has always been a tradition of fasting in the church. Do you need to fast to be saved? No. That doesn't mean you should downplay fasting as a "work" however.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          If you were approaching fasting back then the way you are here, I reiterate that you are approaching it with the wrong attitude. It seems to me that "works"-averse Christians tend to categorize whatever they don't want to do as a "work" so they can use the excuse of "not doing works for salvation" to not do it. Those who are hung up on "works" need to go and re-read the Epistle of James. The NT strongly implies that Christians will fast, and there has always been a tradition of fasting in the church. Do you need to fast to be saved? No. That doesn't mean you should downplay fasting as a "work" however.
          I suggest YOU re-read James. Describe to me the nature of the "works" he associates with genuine faith.

Also, FTR, the idea of doing works "to be saved" is not the only aberrant understanding of the pro-works crew. There is also the mistaken notion that certain activities "demonstrate" who is or is not a "proper" Xian.

ETA: Not surprisingly, we also have starkly different perceptions of what the NT "strongly" implies. I find a grand total of *three* references to the practice after the institution of the New Covenant -- Acts 13:2-3 and 14:23. Also, I am a Protestant, more specifically an Evangelical, and even more narrowly, a Pentecostal; as such, it will not surprise you to hear that I am inherently suspicious of "traditions" that have supposedly "always" been around.
          Last edited by NorrinRadd; 07-30-2016, 11:39 PM.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I am saved by grace through faith, not works, but I do works because I am saved.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have to say I don't think I've really had many discussions on fasting and the discussion thus far has given me a lot of food for thought (no pun intended). There seems to be a lot of variety in what constitutes fasting and it makes me wonder whether or not there is more value to certain kinds of fasting or if its just all individualized/traditional.

Here's a list breaking down the various methods and dimensions mentioned so far that I've noted:

1. Types of fasting:
              a) total fast (no food, only water)
              b) partial fast (limited food like bread and water)
              c) category fast (giving up meat, milk, etc)
              d) non-food fast (giving up something other than food)

2. Length: 24 hours, 30 hours, 20 days

3. Frequency, a few posters mentioned having fasting incorporated into their Christian life but I don't think anyone mentioned what the frequency should/could be

4. Group fasting vs individual fasting

5. Concerns about fasting listed or implied in this thread so far:
              a) offending others at mealtime
              b) medical conditions
              c) jobs that make it difficult
              d) works salvation

So what among these variations counts as "fasting". Do all of them or only some of them?
              Last edited by Paula; 07-31-2016, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I am saved by grace through faith, not works, but I do works because I am saved.
                I agree 100%.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I suggest YOU re-read James. Describe to me the nature of the "works" he associates with genuine faith.

Also, FTR, the idea of doing works "to be saved" is not the only aberrant understanding of the pro-works crew. There is also the mistaken notion that certain activities "demonstrate" who is or is not a "proper" Xian.
                  You seem to be laboring under the conception that I think Christians need to do works to be saved. Those who are saved will do works. Do you understand the distinction?
                  ETA: Not surprisingly, we also have starkly different perceptions of what the NT "strongly" implies. I find a grand total of *three* references to the practice after the institution of the New Covenant -- Acts 13:2-3 and 14:23.
                  When Jesus says, "when you fast...." and His words are recorded by multiple gospels, that's a strong implication in my book. As you note, the early church practiced it.
                  Also, I am a Protestant, more specifically an Evangelical, and even more narrowly, a Pentecostal; as such, it will not surprise you to hear that I am inherently suspicious of "traditions" that have supposedly "always" been around.
                  As one who converted from fundamentalist Evangelical protestantism, I find the rejection of tradition narrowminded and unfortunate.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I agree 100%.
                    And that has been my understanding - my apologies if I seemed to be implying otherwise.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

You seem to be laboring under the conception that I think Christians need to do works to be saved. Those who are saved will do works. Do you understand the distinction?
                      Completely. But the other issue is what *kinds* of "works"? Even James explicitly says that works "show" that one has faith, as opposed to being *added to* faith in order to achieve salvation. But what *kinds* of "works" does James describe? Does he talk about things like memorizing Scripture or attending "church" regularly or "fasting"? Or does he focus elsewhere?

When Jesus says, "when you fast...." and His words are recorded by multiple gospels, that's a strong implication in my book. As you note, the early church practiced it.
                      Rehash.

As one who converted from fundamentalist Evangelical protestantism, I find the rejection of tradition narrowminded and unfortunate.
                      Fine. I find the credulous embrace of tradition to be empty-headed and unfortunate.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Completely.
                        Given what you follow this with, color me skeptical.
                        But the other issue is what *kinds* of "works"? Even James explicitly says that works "show" that one has faith, as opposed to being *added to* faith in order to achieve salvation. But what *kinds* of "works" does James describe? Does he talk about things like memorizing Scripture or attending "church" regularly or "fasting"? Or does he focus elsewhere?
                        I'm not sure any of this is material. Yes, James says that works show that one has faith. I agree that works are not "added to" faith in order to achieve salvation.
                        Rehash.
                        Dodge.
                        Fine. I find the credulous embrace of tradition to be empty-headed and unfortunate.
                        Good thing I don't credulously embrace tradition.

sigpic

Comment

Even James explicitly says that works "show" that one has faith, as opposed to being *added to* faith in order to achieve salvation.
                          There is nothing in there that involves achieving salvation, as OBP pointed out. You obviously do not understand the distinction between acts resulting from salvation and acts earning salvation.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            There is nothing in there that involves achieving salvation, as OBP pointed out. You obviously do not understand the distinction between acts resulting from salvation and acts earning salvation.
                            You obviously did not understand what I wrote.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

You obviously did not understand what I wrote.
                              You are correct. I apologize. I forgot how to read apparently.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                                I disagree--Muslims don't merely have a heretical understanding of God but rather they worship another god altogether. Not only because they deny the Trinity and Jesus' deity but because morally they are different. The God of the Bible is perfectly holy while the Islamic god will admit people to paradise whose "good" outweighs their "bad" (or who die while killing unbelievers). The God of the Bible loves everyone while the Islamic god only loves Muslims. The Bible says that heaven is spiritual perfection worshiping and loving God while Islam offers having sex with virgins (and maybe your wife, if she gets in at all, since hell is mostly composed of women). Jesus says love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you. The Islamic religion teaches its followers to fight those who aren't Muslims. Jesus says that if a man looks at a woman with lust then he's committed adultery with her while Islam permits prostitution (what they call "temporary marriage") not to mention sex with prepubescence girls.

These are two totally different gods.
                                How would many Christians' conception of G-d hold up? Does G-d love, or does he hate a significant portion of the population, if heaven is spiritual perfection then why the streets paved with gold, do Christians allow serial adultrous relationships by downplaying Jesus words on marriage?

The difference in views of the divine are just as large within Christianity as between the two religions, so I wonder if the measures you mention really show a different god or a different conception of the Infinite Spirit?

Comment