Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

ISIS knifemen behead priest in French church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ISIS knifemen behead priest in French church

An 86-year-old priest has been 'beheaded' by two ISIS knifemen who cut his throat after bursting into a French church and taking nuns and worshippers hostage before being shot dead by police. Five people including the priest, two nuns and two parishioners were held by assailants who raided the church in Saint-Etienne-du-Rouvray near Rouen in Normandy at 9am.

French president Francois Hollande said the men 'claimed to be from' ISIS. There were reports the attackers shouted 'Daesh' – an alternative name for ISIS often used by the French government – as they ran into the church. At least one of the men was dressed in Islamic clothing, according to French media reports, and an anti-terrorist unit has already taken up the investigation.
    Gee, why do these things keep happening?!?!?!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Why do I get the impression that you're getting some kind of kick out of this?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
      I don't get that impression from him. And I think it is a good thing to bring these events to light.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
        I don't get that impression from him.
        No need to worry, he's just another lib yelling 'squirrel' when terrorist murder happens!

And I think it is a good thing to bring these events to light.
        'All who do evil hate the light...'

Comment

The priest died at Mass. He died in worship of the Lord. I pray I might be so blessed.

To the best of my recollection, ISIS does not like the name "Daesh," which is part of the reason the French government uses it. It is therefore interesting that the murderers should have shouted it. It's a bit like if I were to run around shouting "For Popery!"-- Catholics don't refer to their own religion as Popery, it's a derogatory term used exclusively in anti-Catholic polemics. That suggests to me that the attackers were indoctrinated to the point that they committed an atrocity, but don't actually know a lot about ISIS and may not even have had much direct contact with them.
          Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

I dunno, but you're not alone.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
              The priest died at Mass. He died in worship of the Lord. I pray I might be so blessed.

To the best of my recollection, ISIS does not like the name "Daesh," which is part of the reason the French government uses it. It is therefore interesting that the murderers should have shouted it. It's a bit like if I were to run around shouting "For Popery!"-- Catholics don't refer to their own religion as Popery, it's a derogatory term used exclusively in anti-Catholic polemics. That suggests to me that the attackers were indoctrinated to the point that they committed an atrocity, but don't actually know a lot about ISIS and may not even have had much direct contact with them.
              Interesting! But doesn't change fact that they are ISIS!!

Another day, another attack. And with sheep very very vulnerable, will not wolves continue?? DIEversity!

Comment

I think its an "I told you so" sort of reaction.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I think its an "I told you so" sort of reaction.
                  And he evidently revels in it.

Comment

And he evidently revels in it.

To repeat, if you really really REALLY want to make personal attacks at me go make your own thread!

This is what, second time in <12 hours?? Get a grip, kiddo!!!

Comment

Also worthy of note is that today, the Catholic Church observes the feast of St. James the Greater, who was the first of the Apostles to die-- and by beheading at that.

Comment

Also worthy of note is that today, the Catholic Church observes the feast of St. James the Greater, who was the first of the Apostles to die-- and by beheading at that.
                        I imagine they were made aware of that.

Must like 9/11 is symbolic

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                          I imagine they were made aware of that.

Must like 9/11 is symbolic
                          The priest's name is Fr. Jacques Hamel. Jacques is the French equivalent of James.

Any of this could be coincidental or intentional.

Comment

It could be a coincidence, sure. I always figured that Jacques was the french version of Jack. #TIL

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                              It could be a coincidence, sure. I always figured that Jacques was the french version of Jack. #TIL
                              I thought the same thing, but I looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques

Comment