Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

My Capstone Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Capstone Project

Because I'm a double major in History and Christian Ministry, it was decided I should do my Capstone (senior) project a year early. This includes a 50-page paper and a 20-minute oral presentation in April. The thesis of my presentation is that women are capable and should be allowed to lead a church as senior pastor. I know this is highly controversial topic and that there are several Twebbers who are more conservative (traditional) when it comes to that subject so please don't think that I am trying to step on toes. This thesis will be supported by thorough historical analysis of women's roles in the church and qualitative research of modern women who are lead pastors.

For the historical analysis, I will be studying the lives of four women who more or less revolutionized a woman's role in the church: Macrina of Nyssa, St. Hildegard von Bingen, Catherine Booth of the Salvation Army and Aimee Semple McPherson.

The qualitative research will be my interviewing four female lead pastors in various denominations.

What I would like to know is if anyone has any research suggestion: books, websites, etc on the four women I've mentioned. Also, I would love some tips on how to present and research this topic in a way that is honest yet is considerate to those who would disagree with me.

Also, if there are any Koine Greek scholars on Tweb, I would love to speak with them on how to perform word study to the original 1 Corinthian 14:34 and 2 Timothy 2:12 passages.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ke7ejx; 07-27-2016, 06:00 PM.
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Here's the apostolic letter in which Hildegard of Bingen was declared a Doctor of the Church. It's probably not a great document for research purposes, but at the very least it might give you some very nice quotes praising her.

https://w2.vatican.va/content/benedi...da-bingen.html

(for what it's worth, I don't know if there are many people who will argue with you about the capacity of women to bear the physical, intellectual, and emotional strains of leadership in a church community. The only argument you'll get from me is whether they can be validly ordained priests )
    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
      Here's the apostolic letter in which Hildegard of Bingen was declared a Doctor of the Church. It's probably not a great document for research purposes, but at the very least it might give you some very nice quotes praising her.

(for what it's worth, I don't know if there are many people who will argue with you about the capacity of women to bear the physical, intellectual, and emotional strains of leadership in a church community. The only argument you'll get from me is whether they can be validly ordained priests )
      I would like to remind you that your pope has opened the floor for discussion on that very subject.
      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
        I would like to remind you that your pope has opened the floor for discussion on that very subject.
        He opened a commission to study the historical role of female deacons. The commission may or may not have some bearing on the discussion as to whether women can be ordained to the deaconate as the Church understands and practices it today, but that's hardly opening the floor for discussion on women priests.

I know that's a rather fine distinction, but fine distinctions are rather important in theology.

Comment

He opened a commission to study the historical role of female deacons. The commission may or may not have some bearing on the discussion as to whether women can be ordained to the deaconate as the Church understands and practices it today, but that's hardly opening the floor for discussion on women priests.

I know that's a rather fine distinction, but fine distinctions are rather important in theology.
          Given this thread is on my major graduation requirement, I'll thank you to not troll me on this thread.
          I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Given this thread is on my major graduation requirement, I'll thank you to not troll me on this thread.
            I could be wrong, but I don't really think he's trolling.

Hi, Punkinhead!
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              I could be wrong, but I don't really think he's trolling.

Hi, Punkinhead!
              He's nitpicking my wording over my argument. I asked for a second opinion before I made the accusation. But if he's not trolling then I'm willing to say so...provided he gives me a sound argument on the matter.

Hi, Creacher!
              I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Also, I would love some tips on how to present and research this topic in a way that is honest yet is considerate to those who would disagree with me.
                Would you please make up your mind?

More seriously, if you want to be fair to the people who would disagree with you, identify at least one, ideally 2-4, articulate writer on the other side of the argument, and keep their central concerns in mind as you write. Even if you don't end up quoting them directly, it should help you avoid strawmen. The better you make the other side look, the better you look: by overcoming their strongest arguments, you come away looking even stronger. At the very least, showing the other side that you understand their arguments will help temper their objections.

That said, I don't know which religious tradition or which objections to female pastorship you're dealing with. It may be that, in the tradition you're dealing with, the only counterarguments are based on a handful of verses from Paul's epistles.

Comment

Would you please make up your mind?

More seriously, if you want to be fair to the people who would disagree with you, identify at least one, ideally 2-4, articulate writer on the other side of the argument, and keep their central concerns in mind as you write. Even if you don't end up quoting them directly, it should help you avoid strawmen. The better you make the other side look, the better you look: by overcoming their strongest arguments, you come away looking even stronger. At the very least, showing the other side that you understand their arguments will help temper their objections.

That said, I don't know which religious tradition or which objections to female pastorship you're dealing with. It may be that, in the tradition you're dealing with, the only counterarguments are based on a handful of verses from Paul's epistles.
                  I will, but from what I could tell you were having a go at me by nitpicking my words as well as your choice of emoticon. I have no issue with disagreement. Heck, I've been debating on this topic for the past two years. I'm an Episcopalian for a reason.
                  I am Punkinhead.

Comment

I will, but from what I could tell you were having a go at me by nitpicking my words as well as your choice of emoticon. I have no issue with disagreement. Heck, I've been debating on this topic for the past two years. I'm an Episcopalian for a reason.
                    I do get a bit too much pleasure out of correcting people who mis-quote or otherwise misunderstand Pope Francis. It's one part pet peeve, one part guilty pleasure. In any case, I over-reacted, and I apologize.

Comment

I do get a bit too much pleasure out of correcting people who mis-quote or otherwise misunderstand Pope Francis. It's one part pet peeve, one part guilty pleasure. In any case, I over-reacted, and I apologize.
                      You're good. I used to be Catholic myself, remember? He's also spoken on the topic of women being ordained as priests. I wasn't just referring to the recent announcement of a committee.
                      I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Silly, women can't be priests. They would be priestesses.
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

In answer to the actual question, get as much original work from the women as you can.

The second question's answer depends on how you plan to approach the counter arguments - if at all. But as a general rule, when you do hit a counter argument make darn sure you represent it fairly before answering it.
                          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                            In answer to the actual question, get as much original work from the women as you can.

The second question's answer depends on how you plan to approach the counter arguments - if at all. But as a general rule, when you do hit a counter argument make darn sure you represent it fairly before answering it.
                            But of course, which is why I want to do a word study of the passages in the original Greek.
                            I am Punkinhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                              Silly, women can't be priests. They would be priestesses.
                              Katharine_Jefferts_Schori_2.jpg

Wanna bet?
                              I am Punkinhead.

Comment