Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing goals

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was writing this most recent chapter, and, because it seemed to fit, I did the whole mid-chapter "the characters found something" cliffhanger...only I didn't know what they found.

But then something occurred to me, and it in turn helped me to tie up a loose end from the beginning, as well as further served to answer one of the most glaring questions in my own mind. This question happens to be the thing that my few alpha readers have proven most curious about. So writing a cliffhanger for myself really worked, in this case.
    Last edited by Zymologist; 09-20-2016 at 03:50 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

"Metal is an apple--everything's good but the core."

2. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm at a little over 57,000 words now. I'm posting this here mostly because I like seeing the progress I've posted, and knowing that I actually have gotten somewhere.

I've almost doubled my word count in the <2 months since I started this thread, and I've never been more excited about it than now.

If I continue with my current word count and page count averages, I'll have a ~78,000 word manuscript with about 252 pages.
    Last edited by Zymologist; 09-21-2016 at 08:11 PM.
    Hofstadter's Law: It will always take longer than you expect, even if you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

4. Amen mossrose, Bill the Cat amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Not quite 60,000 words now, and I think I'm on track. I also think I've figured out how to end my current chapter, which is going to be a pretty significant one. It'll begin the process of explaining some of the mysteries I've set up for myself, which is going to be tough. I'm excited to start tackling it.

I'm more or less writing a novel-length, character-driven cosmic horror. AFAICT, that's almost never actually done (novel-length cosmic horror is rare enough--character-driven? seems to be virtually unheard of), and I'm beginning to see some of the reason for that. Hopefully I haven't painted myself into a great big cosmic corner with this whole thing.

6. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    slave & child of Christ
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Zym, I got your latest. Will get to it later today. I have been horribly busy the last couple of days, but wanted you to know I will be reading as soon as I can.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

8. Amen Zymologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm at about 73,000 words with roughly 14 chapters done. This leaves me one week and almost exactly 7,000 words to reach my goal of 80k.

I'm starting to suspect that I might exceed that, which is ok with me. Actually it might be better to go over, because then I'd have more to work with/cut.

I'm pretty excited about my chapter title gimmick, even though I know it's just a gimmick. It really shouldn't be such a big deal to me, but oh well.

10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I just hit 80,000 words, so my word goal is officially reached. And only three weeks late!

I'm not finished with the draft, though. I have another two chapters started, and I'm anticipating at least another chapter after these two, and then an epilogue to wrap it up. So it might be more like 90,000 before I'm done. Not a bad thing, though.

12. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Darth Anglicanus
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Good luck, man. I'm editing I think the third draft of my novel and it's being a pain in the elbow.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

14. Amen Zymologist amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    Good luck, man. I'm editing I think the third draft of my novel and it's being a pain in the elbow.
    I salute you, and I'm suitably impressed. Feel free to share any details about it, if you'd like to (or not).

Finishing a bad novel is an achievement. Finishing a good one? I'm just hoping I can get an idea of what that might be like.

Faith
    Darth Anglicanus
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    I salute you, and I'm suitably impressed. Feel free to share any details about it, if you'd like to (or not).

Finishing a bad novel is an achievement. Finishing a good one? I'm just hoping I can get an idea of what that might be like.
    It's your typical fantasy adventure chasing vampires YA novel. First concept written when I was 16. Main character gets roped into a super-real (supernatural) reality that he never would have believed in and ends up on a vampire chase.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
    "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
    Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by thewriteranon View Post
    It's your typical fantasy adventure chasing vampires YA novel. First concept written when I was 16. Main character gets roped into a super-real (supernatural) reality that he never would have believed in and ends up on a vampire chase.
    Wow, you wrote that young. I'm 27, and about to finish my first real work of any note.