Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Navy to Name Ship after Harvey Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Navy to Name Ship after Harvey Milk

I understand the need, in the current climate, to recognize GLBTXQ? persons, but this might not be the best choice for the name of a Navy ship.

Harvey Milk is being recognized as a "civil rights leader", because that's what the John Lewis class of ships is designated to honor.

Source: USNI.org

The Navy is set to name a ship after the gay rights icon and San Francisco politician Harvey Milk, according to a Congressional notification obtained by USNI News.

The July 14, 2016 notification, signed by Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus, indicated he intended to name a planned Military Sealift Command fleet oiler USNS Harvey Milk (T-AO-206). The ship would be the second of the John Lewis-class oilers being built by General Dynamics NASSCO in San Diego, Calif.

The Secretary of the Navy’s office is deferring releasing additional information until the naming announcement, a Navy official told USNI News on Thursday.

Mabus has said the John Lewis-class – named after civil rights activist and congressman Rep. John Lewis (D-Ga.) – would be named after civil rights leaders.

© Copyright Original Source

He was already honored with a Postage Stamp.

Source: HuffingtonPost

Harvey Milk, the first openly gay man to hold political office in California, is set to break new ground once again as the first LGBT official to be featured on a postage stamp. But not everyone is pleased with the honor.

In a new interview, the Liberty Counsel‘s Matt Barber accused the U.S. Postal Service of “whitewashing” reality and “historical revisionism” in choosing to feature Milk on the forthcoming postage stamp, which will be issued next year.

“Harvey Milk was known as a pederast,” Barber told One News Now. “That’s a man who in his mid-30s had a sexual appetite for teenage boys as young as 15 years old.”

He continued: “Harvey Milk was demonstrably, categorically an evil man based on his rape of teenage boys, And the fact that our U.S. government would be commemorating and recognizing him as some kind of hero really just boggles the mind.”

You can read the full interview with Barber here.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I understand the need, in the current climate, to recognize GLBTXQ? persons, but this might not be the best choice for the name of a Navy ship.
    Someone said the British Navy ran on the lash, rum and sodomy... I guess ours does too. A more useless individual to name a ship after I can not imagine. His claim to fame is being an open sodomite.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"Fleet oiler"... Excuse me while I 12 year old...
      That's what
      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Maybe they can man it with all gays and paint rainbows on it.

Comment

I understand the need, in the current climate...
          "Need"? Desire, want, impulse, eagerness for -- yes. But there is no "need"

That'll be my pedantic comment for this thread.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Someone said the British Navy ran on the lash, rum and sodomy...
            Attributed to Winston Churchill but he never said it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              "Need"? Desire, want, impulse, eagerness for -- yes. But there is no "need"

That'll be my pedantic comment for this thread.
              Yeah, that.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                "Fleet oiler"... Excuse me while I 12 year old...
                Yeah, I wasn't gonna go there.

Comment

"Remember if you're gay, no awards should ever be granted to you, no matter what you accomplish in the service of your country."

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                    "Remember if you're gay, no awards should ever be granted to you, no matter what you accomplish in the service of your country."
                    Are you aware that this Harvey Milk was described as "a 33-year-old man who both had and axiomatically acted upon a deviant sexual appetite for underage, drug-addicted, runaway boys?"

It's not that he was gay, it's that he was, by all accounts, a sexual predator.

nambla.jpg
                    Last edited by Cow Poke; 07-29-2016, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Are you aware that this Harvey Milk was described as "a 33-year-old man who both had and axiomatically acted upon a deviant sexual appetite for underage, drug-addicted, runaway boys?"

It's not that he was gay, it's that he was, by all accounts, a sexual predator.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17452[/ATTACH]
                      The Huffington Post is a tabloid.

I'm trying to track down a credible source, to figure out what happened. So far all I've found is indications that he had a romance with a sixteen year old (which considering that New Yorks current sexual age limit is 17, is hardly completely out of bounds of legality).

You guys basically scorched me for using a data source by people you didn't trust. And now you want me to believe automatically this stuff by hear say?
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 07-29-2016, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Christians, smearing dead people all the time, especially if they're gay. How wonderful a crowd to be part of. Look the other way when Trump is practicing infidility (its okay as long as its straight sex. Just proves how much of a stud he is... rape allegation... nah... also its very much okay if its a conservative), but blast apart someone who isn't there to defend himself.
                        Last edited by Leonhard; 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM.

Comment

So far the claims that Harvey Milk was a pederastic rapist is traceable to Matt Barber working for the Liberty Counsel. So far I can't find where he's gotten it from.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                            The Huffington Post is a tabloid.
                            Do you see that picture of Milk? Do you see him wearing the NAMBLA signage?

I'm trying to track down a credible source, to figure out what happened. So far all I've found is indications that he had a romance with a sixteen year old (which considering that New Yorks current sexual age limit is 17, is hardly completely out of bounds of legality).
                            This is one of those issues where you can pretty well guaranty that the liberal sources are going to totally ignore any account that paints Milk as anything but a 'civil rights' activist. And conservative sources will cite him as a pedophile and rapist. Check out http://www.glbtqarchive.com/ssh/nambla_S.pdf - the Gay community had a hard time because Milk was seen as a founder of the gay movement, but he was tied with NAMBLA, and it would be argued that homosexuality is indistinct from man-boy sexual perversion.

You guys basically scorched me for using a data source by people you didn't trust. And now you want me to believe automatically this stuff by hear say?
                            Again, conservative sources are going to nail him to the wall, liberal sources are going to try to totally ignore his connection with NAMBLA.

Comment

Managed to ask around about this and yes in the book "The Mayor of Castro Street: The Life and Times of Harvey Milk by Randy Shilts", it is described as I outlined at the top that Harvey Milk did have sexual relationship with a teenager aged 15.

This technically counts as pederasty, despite the lower limit for sexual consent being as low as 16 in some states (15 in my country). And therefore it counts as sex with minor (as the law does not make distinguishment after that point). This then technically counts as rape, whether or not consent was given. Again on a technicality.

Comment