Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

US Navy to Name Ship after Harvey Milk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
    Christians, smearing dead people all the time, especially if they're gay.
    Leonhard - let's get this clear up front... IF he was associated in any way with NAMBLA, would that be a problem?

How wonderful a crowd to be part of. Look the other way when Trump is practicing infidility (its okay as long as its straight sex. Just proves how much of a stud he is... rape allegation... nah... also its very much okay if its a conservative), but blast apart someone who isn't there to defend himself.
    I think I'm going to disengage, Leon... this is obviously.....

wow
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Attributed to Winston Churchill but he never said it.
      Right, but it was an old Navy saying from what I gather.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"Remember if you're gay, no awards should ever be granted to you, no matter what you accomplish in the service of your country."
        The fact that he was being investigated by the FBI for political corruption at the time of his death should have been taken into consideration

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

"Remember if you're gay, no awards should ever be granted to you, no matter what you accomplish in the service of your country."
          What did he do different than any other mayor beside being openly gay?
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Leonhard - let's get this clear up front... IF he was associated in any way with NAMBLA, would that be a problem?
            It would be problematic I agree, depending on when he did it, in as much as they were a short alliance early on at some point. So far I haven't found any credible evidence that Harvey Milk was in fact part of the NAMBLA.

I think I'm going to disengage, Leon... this is obviously.....

wow
            Obviously... what? I can't read dots.

You have any idea how common it is for homosexuals to be accused of pederast tendencies? Heck I was about to make this a point of things I experience in particular in the Christian community. A homophobia about people who are homosexuals, celibate or not... don't leave them alone with the children...

If you want to be historical do that, do it right, dispassionately, and with well cited works. I saw you blow I don't many how many fuses back when it was discussed if blacks might not be experiencing systematic police violence. And somehow it's okay for you to get angry about that stuff, but not me when it's my minority that is targeted with suspicion?
            Last edited by Leonhard; 07-29-2016, 11:19 AM.

Comment

And somehow it's okay for you to get angry about that stuff, but not me when it's my minority that is targeted with suspicion?
              I'm not angry at all, Leon. Not even a tiny bit. I'm sorry I got you riled up. Truly sorry. THAT's why I'm disengaging.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                I'm not angry at all, Leon. Not even a tiny bit. I'm sorry I got you riled up. Truly sorry. THAT's why I'm disengaging.
                Glad to hear it, at any rate I'll disengage from tweb until this thread has sailed below the radar.

Comment

The Huffington Post is a tabloid.

I'm trying to track down a credible source, to figure out what happened. So far all I've found is indications that he had a romance with a sixteen year old (which considering that New Yorks current sexual age limit is 17, is hardly completely out of bounds of legality).

You guys basically scorched me for using a data source by people you didn't trust. And now you want me to believe automatically this stuff by hear say?
                  Currently if someone is over the age of 21 and has sex with someone under the age of 17 they have committed third degree rape. Wasn't Milk in his 30s? And what was the law when Milk was having sex with minors? I know for years the age of consent for males there was 21.

And if it is still "completely out of bounds legally" to sell alcohol or cigarettes to someone a year under the legal age why is this not the case?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

More like, "No awards should ever be granted for promoting a gay lifestyle." If he had thrown himself on a grenade to save the lives of his companions, and was being honored for that, I'd have zero problem with it, and I'd bet good money that very few others here would have a problem with it either.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      More like, "No awards should ever be granted for promoting a gay lifestyle." If he had thrown himself on a grenade to save the lives of his companions, and was being honored for that, I'd have zero problem with it, and I'd bet good money that very few others here would have a problem with it either.
                      yeah

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        It's almost as if being openly gay is a supreme moral good, the most courageous thing one can do.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          It's almost as if being openly gay is a supreme moral good, the most courageous thing one can do.
                          Because it's framed as a "civil rights" thing.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                            Right up there with being transgender as seen in the Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner transformation

Comment

It is celebrating sexual sin. If they named a ship for someone because they were say, an adulterer, it would be similar.

Comment

Some of the opposition comes from the fact that he was, reportedly, anti-war.

Source: Guardian

The push to have Milk honored with a naval ship sparked controversy in San Francisco’s LGBT community in 2012, with some critics citing his opposition to the Vietnam war to argue that he would be better memorialized in other ways.

“When I saw the news, what went through my mind is a line from a Leonard Cohen song: ‘I finally broke into the prison, I took my place in the chain’,” said Cleve Jones, an LGBT and labor rights activist who was mentored by Milk.

Milk was part of a movement that was “strongly rooted in anti-militarism”, Jones said, so the honor comes with “a bit of irony”.

“I came of age when straight men pretended to be gay to get out of the army,” he said.

Still, he joked, “I think if Harvey were alive he would be making jokes about providing oil for sailors.”

© Copyright Original Source

Comment