Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Dementia derail from Mental Health Stigma thread

  1. #1
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,802
    Amen (Given)
    1250
    Amen (Received)
    870

    Dementia derail from Mental Health Stigma thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    One big problem is that no one can help unless the individual in need opens up.
    The prevailing problem remains what Christianbookworm described as the stigma of mental illness that makes it difficult for people to come forward, be open and aggressively seek treatment to resolve mental illness.

    I experienced a similar problem here on Tweb. I openly admitted in a thread that as approaching 70 (July 29) I was experiencing mild to moderate Dementia and aggressively and openly working for solutions. The ridicule and aggressive acrid posts that followed by some Twebbers in some threads was atrocious. The reality is many if not most Twebbers in my age range also experience similar problems.

    Many people when there mental illness becomes 'known' often undergo subtle to blatant exclusion, and ridicule in life, and employment and by the way when running for political office. Many well known world leaders have been known to have moderate to severe mental illness, which were covered up, because of the stigma.

    The apparent worst is to be open and honest, and admit publicaly the problem and you are pursuing treatment as Thomas Eagleton found out in 1987 when he was briefly was the nominee for Vice-President.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-23-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
  3. #2
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    39,750
    Amen (Given)
    3686
    Amen (Received)
    18589
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The prevailing problem remains what Christianbookworm described as the stigma of mental illness that makes it difficult for people to come forward, be open and aggressively seek treatment to resolve mental illness.

    I experienced a similar problem here on Tweb. I openly admitted in a thread that as approaching 70 (July 29) I was experiencing mild to moderate Dementia and aggressively and openly working for solutions. The ridicule and aggressive acrid posts that followed by some Twebbers in some threads was atrocious. The reality is many if not most Twebbers in my age range also experience similar problems.

    Many people when there mental illness becomes 'known' often undergo subtle to blatant exclusion, and ridicule in life, and employment and by the way when running for political office. Many well known world leaders have been known to have moderate to severe mental illness, which were covered up, because of the stigma.

    The apparent worst is to be open and honest, and admit publicaly the problem and you are pursuing treatment as Thomas Eagleton found out in 1987 when he was briefly was the nominee for Vice-President.
    despite what you think shuny, we were not ridiculing you. we were genuinely concerned and worried about you because a lot of your posts were not making a lot of sense. We decided to not mention it any more when you took our concern for hostility. We are still concerned.

  4. Amen Christianbookworm, LostSheep amen'd this post.
  5. #3
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,802
    Amen (Given)
    1250
    Amen (Received)
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    despite what you think shuny, we were not ridiculing you. we were genuinely concerned and worried about you because a lot of your posts were not making a lot of sense. We decided to not mention it any more when you took our concern for hostility. We are still concerned.
    Phony baloney! These these accusations are blatantly fallacious and rely on vindictive avoidance of the simple fact that we have different religious views. Many of my posts provide valid serious academic sources, which are often twisted and ridiculed.

    None of those who resorted to these accusations have every shown any legitimate concern for me since I began at Tweb many years ago.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-24-2016 at 03:03 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  6. #4
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,654
    Amen (Given)
    19392
    Amen (Received)
    6231
    My 92 year old mother exhibits some signs of age related dementia with serious short term memory problems and some minor hallucinations. I fear that I may move in that direction. My memory has always been quirky, and I seem to have more of those "Men In Black" moments than I had ten years ago. I am not sure they are connected, but I do keep a close watch on my ability to remember and reason. I won't hide it, but nor do I spread it around.

    This is not really related to the mental illness issue, nor do I think your problems are related to mental illness, shun.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  7. Amen Christianbookworm amen'd this post.
  8. #5
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,802
    Amen (Given)
    1250
    Amen (Received)
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post

    This is not really related to the mental illness issue, nor do I think your problems are related to mental illness, shun.
    No one here is remotely qualified as a physician, and these accusations remain a dodge to address the facts that I believe differently and avoid constructive debate, intolerance of alternate beliefs, and dialogue in response to my references.

    I am, like all should be, regularly under the care of physicians at Duke and UNC, and in summary of their care, these accusations are as phony as three dollar bills.

    This intolerance of alternate beliefs is reflected in the forcing of me to use the belief 'agnostic,' because of the arrogance of the narrow minded belief that it is not compatible with Theism.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-24-2016 at 11:46 AM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  9. #6
    Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Peter's Creek, Alaska
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,654
    Amen (Given)
    19392
    Amen (Received)
    6231
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    This intolerance of alternate beliefs is reflected in the forcing of me to use the belief 'agnostic,' because of the arrogance of the narrow minded belief that it is not compatible with Theism.
    Take this stuff to the thread I moved to the Padded Room. You know arguing moderation is limited to PMs and the Padded Room.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

  10. Amen mossrose amen'd this post.
  11. #7
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,802
    Amen (Given)
    1250
    Amen (Received)
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Take this stuff to the thread I moved to the Padded Room. You know arguing moderation is limited to PMs and the Padded Room.
    OK . . .

    No one here is remotely qualified as a physician, and these accusations remain a dodge to address the facts that I believe differently and avoid constructive debate, intolerance of alternate beliefs, and dialogue in response to my references.

    I am, like all should be, regularly under the care of physicians at Duke and UNC, and in summary of their care, these accusations are as phony as three dollar bills.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  12. #8
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,840
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    1543
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    OK . . .

    No one here is remotely qualified as a physician, and these accusations remain a dodge to address the facts that I believe differently and avoid constructive debate, intolerance of alternate beliefs, and dialogue in response to my references.

    I am, like all should be, regularly under the care of physicians at Duke and UNC, and in summary of their care, these accusations are as phony as three dollar bills.
    Shuny, first of all I am very proud of you for seeking help in the Triangle's top neurological care locations. Secondly, you should know, that I've done a lot of care (assisted living, nursing home, home companion) For multiple kinds of dementia. You could say that it was my specialty. This post to you is absolutely in no way making fun of you. My understanding of the move between Ba'hai and agnostic was an admittance you had made that you weren't sure that God existed. From my point of view, I completely understand that as you go through the stages of brain changes, your views on religion are going to change and that is natural. In Bahai'ism I understand this is an offshoot of Islam and the belief is there are chosen prophets beyond Mohammed to bring God (allah's) message. However what we here at tweb have seen in your postings is a swing, for one post there is a belief in God, and for another its a question of God's existence. What I am curious about, are you in a place of questioning your own faith? This is totally ok. We all get to the point where its difficult to find understanding about God's existence. We are all concerned about the changes in your brain, and most certainly I am as I have seen it many times from assisting people with care and helping them from there day to day living. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to be more understanding and more helpful to you.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

  13. #9
    tWebber shunyadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hillsborough, NC
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    12,802
    Amen (Given)
    1250
    Amen (Received)
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    Shuny, first of all I am very proud of you for seeking help in the Triangle's top neurological care locations. Secondly, you should know, that I've done a lot of care (assisted living, nursing home, home companion) For multiple kinds of dementia. You could say that it was my specialty. This post to you is absolutely in no way making fun of you.
    It is admirable that you have devoted your life and profession to the treatment and understanding of Dementia. You must realize that you are dealing with the end game of the various forms of Dementia in the institution and home care you work with. My problem is that the various forms of Dementia begin earlier in life, and denial is an important issue in the failure to deal with the problem when it could be treated more effectively. Most, with a few exceptions, talk about the problem in terms of the elderly in their family, and not themselves.

    I have made an effort to personally research Dementia, especially in the early stages of onset where denial is common and most likely treatment is possible. There are basically four Dominant types: alzheimer's, cardiovascular dementia, traumatic dementia (such as combat and sports injuries), and viral dementia. There are of course genetic tendencies toward dementia in terms of alzheimer's and cardiovascular dementia.

    My research indicated that cardiovascular dementia (actually most likely my case) potentially responds to treatment most successfully in various ways that cardio vascular disease is treated. Exercise and diet are the first line of treatment. Most successful on my part is Amino acid therapy (L=Arginine, L-Citrulline, L-Lysine and L-Cyseine in fairly high doses). This type of treatment appears to have limited or no effect on other kinds of dementia. This treatment has been severely neglected by the medical establishment despite significant research supporting it. It is most effective in early stages of cardio vascular disease.

    If you wish to discuss the issues and treatment of dementia further I am willing to do so, but most likely not based on the assumptions you and others make without an objective knowledge of my case and history.

    My understanding of the move between Ba'hai and agnostic was an admittance you had made that you weren't sure that God existed. From my point of view, I completely understand that as you go through the stages of brain changes, your views on religion are going to change and that is natural.
    Yes, it is perfectly natural, but . . .

    One problem that persists here on Tweb is that my philosophy and beliefs have changed significantly since I have been here many years on Tweb.

    First, my background in philosophy and theology is deep and academic, and I even taken courses at Duke over the years and give lectures in Duke seminars. Second, there is a fairly persistent problem here on Tweb to accept and understand the diversity of belief and philosophical perspectives, and stoically cling to black and white, and true and false perspectives of differences of belief. Second, the understanding of Socrates Methods and Philosophy which I embrace is really misrepresented here. Seer, Sparko and others are clueless and have no understanding of this, regardless of whether it is right nor wrong.

    In Bahai'ism I understand this is an offshoot of Islam and the belief is there are chosen prophets beyond Mohammed to bring God (allah's) message. However what we here at tweb have seen in your postings is a swing, for one post there is a belief in God, and for another its a question of God's existence. What I am curious about, are you in a place of questioning your own faith? This is totally ok.
    First, there is no swing now and never was. There is no empathic understanding here as to the difference between the philosophy of questioning everything (Socratic Method and Philosophy) in debate and dialogue, and belief in God, because among the administration and others there is only a black and white view of you either believe or you don't. This reasoning for demanding that I designate my belief as agnostic came from the wording of one post where I described my philosophy as 'ultimately agnostic.' Very simply from the philosophical and scientific perspective, I reject pretty much all scientific (objective evidence) arguments for the existence of God, and the logical arguments commonly used to argue for the existence of God as circular, and replete with other logical fallacies. This has its foundation in the philosophical problem of absolute truth and certainty from the human perspective. I spent three weeks in a philosophy course devoted to the question and diversity of views concerning certainty. Pretty much all my detractors here on Tweb reject all alternatives concerning the question of certainty from the human perspective.

    The view of the Baha'i Faith being an off shoot of Islam is a very biased response from the Christian perspective not objectively realizing that historically and theologically Christianity can be logically described as an off shoot of Judaism.

    We all get to the point where its difficult to find understanding about God's existence. We are all concerned about the changes in your brain,
    Oh my! No 'you all' really don't get the point, nor have you shown any objectivity nor genuine concern about my changes, because it glaringly apparent from my responses above.

    It is very relevant to the topic of this thread concerning the 'stigma' involved because of the stereotyping, and arm chair diagnosis (so called concerns) that is apparent in those that that make unwarranted conclusions concerning my case.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 07-26-2016 at 12:40 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

    go with the flow the river knows . . .

    Frank

    I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

  14. #10
    Professor Catholicity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    the neighbor of the yellow brick road
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    3,840
    Amen (Given)
    1112
    Amen (Received)
    1543
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    It is admirable that you have devoted your life and profession to the treatment and understanding of Dementia. You must realize that you are dealing with the end game of the various forms of Dementia in the institution and home care you work with. My problem is that the various forms of Dementia begin earlier in life, and denial is an important issue in the failure to deal with the problem when it could be treated more effectively. Most, with a few exceptions, talk about the problem in terms of the elderly in their family, and not themselves.

    I have made an effort to personally research Dementia, especially in the early stages of onset where denial is common and most likely treatment is possible. There are basically four Dominant types: alzheimer's, cardiovascular dementia, traumatic dementia (such as combat and sports injuries), and viral dementia. There are of course genetic tendencies toward dementia in terms of alzheimer's and cardiovascular dementia.

    My research indicated that cardiovascular dementia (actually most likely my case) potentially responds to treatment most successfully in various ways that cardio vascular disease is treated. Exercise and diet are the first line of treatment. Most successful on my part is Amino acid therapy (L=Arginine, L-Citrulline, L-Lysine and L-Cyseine in fairly high doses). This type of treatment appears to have limited or no effect on other kinds of dementia. This treatment has been severely neglected by the medical establishment despite significant research supporting it. It is most effective in early stages of cardio vascular disease.

    If you wish to discuss the issues and treatment of dementia further I am willing to do so, but most likely not based on the assumptions you and others make without an objective knowledge of my case and history.
    .
    Shuny, I'd be more than happy to discuss the cardiovascular dementia with you, however, please realize that I have no assumptions to regarding your case, as vascularized dementia affects each person differently, although there is a particular set of symptoms that is quite similar among cases. (such as short term memory loss, loss of balance, TIA's blood pressure variances, arterial plaques) the main issue is that whatever the cause it is a lack of oxygen to the brain caused by circulatory problems in the cardiovascular system. At this point in my life I have closely encountered well over 15 people in their daily living that have had vascularized dementia. If you wish to talk, please understand that I do not make assumptions, though I have recognition of the symptoms.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •