Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

N.c. Voter id law struck down as unconstitutional

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N.c. Voter id law struck down as unconstitutional

Republicans keep trying to find new ways to impede the ability of citizens to vote, to undermine democracy itself, because they understand it is the only way they can win. Once again the courts have exposed their attempts at skirting the Constitution as a means of attaining power. No doubt they will waste tax payer money as they always do and appeal to the Supreme court.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...s-voter-id-law

So the Democrats will continue to be able to promote voter fraud making a mockery of the concept of one person one vote with their Chicagoesque philosophy of vote early and vote often and making sure even the dead have a voice in the elections.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      Republicans keep trying to find new ways to impede the ability of citizens to vote...
      No, we WANT citizens to vote. And the Democrats built a wall around their convention in Philly, and wouldn't let ANYBODY in without proper photo ID.

What a sorry bunch of hypocrites.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Republicans keep trying to find new ways to impede the ability of citizens to vote, to undermine democracy itself, because they understand it is the only way they can win. Once again the courts have exposed their attempts at skirting the Constitution as a means of attaining power. No doubt they will waste tax payer money as they always do and appeal to the Supreme court.
        OK

"The U.S. Justice Department, the state NAACP and other advocacy groups have been fighting the changes ever since," Pam says. "They say the law discriminates against minorities and is unconstitutional. Among other things, it requires voters to show a photo ID, unless they swear they faced a 'reasonable impediment' trying to get one."
        So basically black people are too stupid or inept to get photo I.D. cards. So now, how do you prove that you are who you say you are when voting?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          OK

So basically black people are too stupid or inept to get photo I.D. cards. So now, how do you prove that you are who you say you are when voting?
          Read the article seer. The court "noted that the N.C. legislation requested data on the use, by race, of a number of voting practices-then, data in hand, enacted legislation that restricted voting and registration in in 5 different ways all of which disproportionately affected African American, aka democratic voters.
          The changes to the voting process "target African Americans with almost surgical precision, the circuit court wrote, "and impose cures for problems that did not exist.
          Thats a nice way of saying its nothing more than an undemocratic political strategy for retaining power.

Comment

Read the article seer. The court "noted that the N.C. legislation requested data on the use, by race, of a number of voting practices-then, data in hand, enacted legislation that restricted voting and registration in in 5 different ways all of which disproportionately affected African American, aka democratic voters.
            The changes to the voting process "target African Americans with almost surgical precision, the circuit court wrote, "and impose cures for problems that did not exist.
            Thats a nice way of saying its nothing more than an undemocratic political strategy for retaining power.
            Man, too bad those waskelly wepublicans aren't as sneaky as Democrats at 'retaining power'.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If I recall this case correctly, it's mainly due to the fact that the lawmakers in question for some reason tried to target disenfranchised voters who couldn't afford proper ID. Targeting voter fraud is a valid option, but then we need to ensure everyone, no matter what status they are, have an ID of sorts that can be used for election purposes.
              "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
              -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              I support the :
              sigpic

Comment

So I will ask again, how do make sure that the person trying to vote is eligible to vote? And I have no problem with voter picture ID - do you?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

So I will ask again, how do make sure that the person trying to vote is eligible to vote? And I have no problem with voter picture ID - do you?
                  Nope. Voter ID laws are good things; we just need to make sure everybody has a ID that they can use for election purposes, rather then trying to create laws that try and target poor people.
                  "It's evolution; every time you invent something fool-proof, the world invents a better fool."
                  -Unknown

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary use words." - Most likely St.Francis

I find that evolution is the best proof of God.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  I support the :
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post
                    Nope. Voter ID laws are good things; we just need to make sure everybody has a ID that they can use for election purposes, rather then trying to create laws that try and target poor people.
                    That makes WAY too much sense, IC.

Comment

There isn't really a problem of voter fraud, so I don't see the huge pressure to cure it.

However, if a bill to require voter ID is there, then there also exists a duty on behalf of the government to ensure that all people, no matter where they live, level of education or income, have a voter ID. However this doesn't rhyme well with places where the the photo ID booth is open only four times a year, at quirky hours. And if such things disproportionately target blacks and hispanics, I don't see why anyone would want the voter ID laws.

So fix the access to photo ID, or get rid of that law. It doesn't seem that hard to me. The latter seems easier at any rate.

In Denmark you get a voting slip in the mail. You take it to the booth, vote and that's pretty much it. About the only time your ID would be required is if you lost your voter slip and/or you think someone used it to vote in your place.
                      Last edited by Leonhard; 07-30-2016, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Canadian View Post

I have no problem with that.

Comment

It isn't identification thats at issue, its the specific types of ID that some states are requiring thats the problem. All states including your own state requires some form of ID, but it isn't restricted to a drivers licence or state issued ID that some people don't have and are made difficult to get. In your own state, which I'll assume you must know, ID is required, but one can use a drivers license, credit card, check book, utility bill, the last 4 digits of ones ss number, etc etc. The ID laws are not designed to prohibit ones ability to vote, they are designed to make it difficult for certain segments of society to vote. It isn't only about ID, its also about the impediments put in place such as no same day registration, no early voting, no sunday voting, lack of voting stations etc etc. all of which strategically make it more difficult for certain segments of the population to vote.

Comment

It isn't identification thats at issue, its the specific types of ID that some states are requiring thats the problem. All states including your own state requires some form of ID, but it isn't restricted to a drivers licence or state issued ID that some people don't have and are made difficult to get. In your own state, which I'll assume you must know, ID is required, but one can use a drivers license, credit card, check book, utility bill, the last 4 digits of ones ss number, etc etc. The ID laws are not designed to prohibit ones ability to vote, they are designed to make it difficult for certain segments of society to vote. It isn't only about ID, its also about the impediments put in place such as no same day registration, no early voting, no sunday voting, lack of voting stations etc etc. all of which strategically make it more difficult for certain segments of the population to vote.
                            Right, and how does a utility bill prove who one actually is?

Comment

Right, and how does a utility bill prove who one actually is?
                              Oh thats right, there are thousands of people out there risking criminal action going through peoples trash in the slim hope of finding a utility bill in order to commit voter fraud. The point is that if you are going to require a specific ID then it should be both free and easily accessible. But again, the laws are not only about ID, they are about making it difficult for certain segments of the population to vote, even should they have that ID. Again, read the appeals court ruling.

Comment