Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The psychology of belief systems

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Red face Double back:

Quote Originally Posted by James Cusick View Post
    It would not be healthy of a person to leave their social group and become a lone predator.
    I might have to second-guess myself and say that a predator might be more healthy than a sheep mentality.

That is if we are judging spiritual maturity instead of just judging right and wrong.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    [QUOTE=James Cusick;430263Your profile says that you are a Christian = so Jesus referred to people as sheep, and I do not see being a sheep as a compliment - [/QUOTE]
    Being called a sheep is not and was not intended to be a compliment. It is an accurate description of what human beings are like with each doing what is right in his own mind.

You are wildly unorthodox and this is the only thing I will respond to. I am sure there will be others who will respond to you.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Red face Reply:

Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Being called a sheep is not and was not intended to be a compliment. It is an accurate description of what human beings are like with each doing what is right in his own mind.
    SHEEP:
    Sheep are best known for their strong flocking (herding) and following instinct. They will run from what frightens them and band together in large groups for protection. This is the only protection they have from predators. There is safety in numbers. It is harder for a predator to pick a sheep out of a group than to go after a few strays.
    Link = Sheep 201 ~ A Beginners guide to raising sheep:

There is no doubt that Jesus knew about sheep.

You are wildly unorthodox and this is the only thing I will respond to. I am sure there will be others who will respond to you.
    I am extreme unorthodox and so I am sorry that you got hung up by me.

People who are determined to be orthodox simply must do so much more to protect thy self.

It is like a house built on sand which keeps trying to fall down and it takes a lot of work to keep supporting it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    People who are determined to be orthodox simply must do so much more to protect thy self.
    No! Truth is truth and is not subject to the vagaries of individual taste. I am orthodox because I want to stick with the revealed truth, not get carried away with every shift in thinking.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    SHEEP:
    Sheep are best known for their strong flocking (herding) and following instinct. They will run from what frightens them and band together in large groups for protection. This is the only protection they have from predators. There is safety in numbers. It is harder for a predator to pick a sheep out of a group than to go after a few strays.
    Link = Sheep 201 ~ A Beginners guide to raising sheep:

There is no doubt that Jesus knew about sheep.

I am extreme unorthodox and so I am sorry that you got hung up by me.

It is like a house built on sand which keeps trying to fall down and it takes a lot of work to keep supporting it.
    James, you seem to be trying to distinguish yourself from the group, without actually distinguishing yourself from the group. You believe the same stuff.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Red face Reply:

No! Truth is truth and is not subject to the vagaries of individual taste. I am orthodox because I want to stick with the revealed truth, not get carried away with every shift in thinking.
    I stand for the exact opposite of all of that.

--------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    James, you seem to be trying to distinguish yourself from the group, without actually distinguishing yourself from the group. You believe the same stuff.
    It is a paradox.

-------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    Why do people believe what they do when there is so much diversity and conflict between different belief systems with everyone devoted to justifying their own belief system with some at the expense of denying all others?
    Because we each person counts as an individual and not as a devalued-nonentity trapped inside of some group or belief system where we do not count as an individual with our own personal identity.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I stand for the exact opposite of all of that.
    Ephesians 4:14 . . . so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.

Faith
    Christian (Unorthodox)
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Ephesians 4:14 . . . so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes.
    Amen to this.

Cheers.