Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Book of Revelation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The facts stand.

". . . I am the Alpha and the Omega, saith the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty. . . ." -- Revelation 1:8

". . . I am the first and the last, and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, . . ." -- Revelation 1:17-18.

". . . I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. . . ."

There is that only one. Not two. [Two of three Persons, the One God. BTW]
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
      The facts stand.

". . . I am the Alpha and the Omega, saith the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty. . . ." -- Revelation 1:8

". . . I am the first and the last, and the Living one; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive for evermore, . . ." -- Revelation 1:17-18.

". . . I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. . . ."

Rev. 1:8 could refer to the Father (rather than to Jesus), even according to Trinitarians. So it's possible that there are two individuals in these two verses. If there is nothing new next post, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for your time,

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        The facts stand.

I appears that Jesus is called the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, and the beginning and the ending. But it doesn't appear that he is called the Almighty God.

What does this tell us?

Comment

Originally posted by RGJesus View Post
          I appears that Jesus is called the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, and the beginning and the ending. But it doesn't appear that he is called the Almighty God.

What does this tell us?
          John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Col. 1:16-17 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Titus 2:13 while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ

2 Timothy 3:16 Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He (1) appeared in a body (2), was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. NIV footnotes: (1) Some manuscripts God -- (2) Or in the flesh

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

any more questions?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            John 1:3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

Col. 1:16-17 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

2 Peter 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours:

Titus 2:13 while we wait for the blessed hope--the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ

2 Timothy 3:16 Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great: He (1) appeared in a body (2), was vindicated by the Spirit, was seen by angels, was preached among the nations, was believed on in the world, was taken up in glory. NIV footnotes: (1) Some manuscripts God -- (2) Or in the flesh

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

John 20:27 Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." 28 Thomas said to him, "My Lord and my God!"

any more questions?
            There is a place to discuss the passages you cited. But let's for now stick within the book of Revelation. Reposting, it appears that Jesus is called the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, and the beginning and the ending. But it doesn't appear that he is called the Almighty God.

What does this tell us?

Comment

There is a place to discuss the passages you cited. But let's for now stick within the book of Revelation. Reposting, it appears that Jesus is called the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, and the beginning and the ending. But it doesn't appear that he is called the Almighty God.

What does this tell us?
              The Bible calls him God in a lot of places, as I posted. Alpha and Omega, First and Last are also titles of God. The implication is clear, that Jesus is God.

YHWH is the "First and the Last":

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says -- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."

Isaiah 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last."

Jesus is the "First and the Last":

Rev. 1:17 "When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.’"

Rev. 2:8 "To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again."

Rev. 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."

Comment

The Bible calls him God in a lot of places, as I posted. Alpha and Omega, First and Last are also titles of God. The implication is clear, that Jesus is God.

Isaiah 44:6 "This is what the LORD says -- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God."

Isaiah 48:12 "Listen to me, O Jacob, Israel, whom I have called: I am he; I am the first and I am the last."

Rev. 1:17 "When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: ‘Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.’"

Rev. 2:8 "To the angel of the church in Smyrna write: These are the words of him who is the First and the Last, who died and came to life again."

Rev. 22:13 "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End."
                See here.

Comment

Where does it say Jesus is called Almighty God? Nowhere. Is it possible that "the Alpha and the Omega," etc. are derivative titles given to Jesus? Jesus said in Matthew 28:19 "all authority is given" to him. Could it be that part and parcel of that authority entails his being given the title "the Alpha and the Omega"?

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                    See here.
                    Although Jesus is called "the Alpha and the Omega," etc., he is never called Almighty God. What does this tell us?

Comment

Although Jesus is called "the Alpha and the Omega," etc., he is never called Almighty God. What does this tell us?
                      Your premise is questionable.

Revelation 11:17 λέγοντες·
                      εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν, ὅτι εἴληφας τὴν δύναμίν σου τὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἐβασίλευσας.

NRSV: Rev. 11:17 singing,
                      “We give you thanks, Lord God Almighty,
                      who are and who were,
                      for you have taken your great power
                      and begun to reign.

Who was it that had "begun to reign" in Revelation 11:17?

According to the text, it was the "Lord God Almighty" (κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ).

What is the difference between "Almighty God" and "God Almighty"?

Comment

Originally posted by John Reece View Post
                        Your premise is questionable.

Revelation 11:17 λέγοντες·
                        εὐχαριστοῦμέν σοι, κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν, ὅτι εἴληφας τὴν δύναμίν σου τὴν μεγάλην καὶ ἐβασίλευσας.

NRSV: Rev. 11:17 singing,
                        who are and who were,
                        and begun to reign.

Who was it that had "begun to reign" in Revelation 11:17?

According to the text, it was the "Lord God Almighty" (κύριε ὁ θεὸς ὁ παντοκράτωρ).

What is the difference between "Almighty God" and "God Almighty"?
                        Rev. 11:15-17 (NRSV):
                        Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying,

“The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord
                        and of his Messiah,
                        and he will reign forever and ever.”
                        Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, singing,

who are and who were,
                        and begun to reign."

"Lord God Almighty" is in reference to "our Lord" and "God" in the preceding passage, not to the Messiah.

Comment

Rev. 11:15-17 (NRSV):
                          Then the seventh angel blew his trumpet, and there were loud voices in heaven, saying,

and of his Messiah,
                          and he will reign forever and ever.”
                          Then the twenty-four elders who sit on their thrones before God fell on their faces and worshiped God, singing,

who are and who were,
                          and begun to reign."

"Lord God Almighty" is in reference to "our Lord" and "God" in the preceding passage, not to the Messiah.
                          You do well in expanding the context. Thanks.

What is the difference in what is said here with regard to "our Lord" and with regard to "his Messiah"? Do they not share the same almighty reign as one?
                          and of his Messiah
                          , and he will reign forever and ever.”
                          Last edited by John Reece; 11-11-2016, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Where does it say Jesus is called Almighty God? Nowhere. Is it possible that "the Alpha and the Omega," etc. are derivative titles given to Jesus? Jesus said in Matthew 28:19 "all authority is given" to him. Could it be that part and parcel of that authority entails his being given the title "the Alpha and the Omega"?
                            Why are you insisting that he has to be called "Almighty God" in Revelation when it is clear he is God by several other passages in the bible (which I already gave you)? Are you trying to divide the bible into isolated books to claim he is not God, just because it is not specific enough for you in Revelation? Jesus claiming the titles of God in Revelation, like Alpha and Omega and First and Last would be blasphemous if Jesus was not God.

God speaking: Rev 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “who is, and who was, and who is to come, the Almighty.”
                            21:6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.

Jesus Speaking: 12 “Look, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to each person according to what they have done. 13 I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Why are you insisting that he has to be called "Almighty God" in Revelation when it is clear he is God by several other passages in the bible (which I already gave you)? Are you trying to divide the bible into isolated books to claim he is not God, just because it is not specific enough for you in Revelation? Jesus claiming the titles of God in Revelation, like Alpha and Omega and First and Last would be blasphemous if Jesus was not God.
                              Pretty much. Revelation quotes or alludes to the OT more often than any other NT book. Reading Revelation without referring back to those contexts is useless.
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Rev. 12:9 The great dragon was thrown down, that ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, the deceiver of the whole world—he was thrown down to the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. 10 Then I heard a loud voice in heaven, proclaiming, “Now have come the salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Messiah, for the accuser of our comrades has been thrown down, who accuses them day and night before our God.

The salvation and the power and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Messiah are indivisible.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X