Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inspirational Christian Quotes:

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Inspirational Christian Quotes:

How about we relate quotes from Christian writers that have impressed us? I'll start:

"First, there is the burden of pride. The labor of self-love is a heavy one indeed. Think for yourself whether much of your sorrow has not arisen from someone speaking slightingly of you. As long as you set yourself up as a little god to which you must be loyal there will be those who will delight to offer affront to your idol."

AW Tozer
    Last edited by seer; 08-08-2016 at 03:31 AM.
    "We can understand hell in its aspect of privation. All your life an unattainable ecstasy has hovered just beyond the grasp of your consciousness. The day is coming when you will wake to find, beyond all hope, that you have attained it, or else, that it was within your reach and you have lost it forever.” C.S. Lewis

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Cow Poke's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.

Chuck Swindoll

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows; it empties today of its strength." – Corrie Ten Boom

4. Amen robrecht amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
    Matthew 25:40
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

6. Amen robrecht amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
    Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
    Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
    Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
    Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
    Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
    Christ in the eye that sees me,
    Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
    Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
    Through a belief in the Threeness,
    Through a confession of the Oneness
    Of the Creator of creation
    -From the Lorica of St. Patrick
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

8. Amen robrecht amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Those were all great!

When Christ said, ‘Be perfect,’ He meant it. He meant that we must go in for the full treatment. It is hard; but the sort of compromise we are all hankering after is harder—in fact, it is impossible. It may be hard for an egg to turn into a bird: it would be a jolly sight harder for it to learn to fly while remaining an egg. We are like eggs at present. And you cannot go on indefinitely being just an ordinary, decent egg. We must be hatched or go bad. CS Lewis
    "We can understand hell in its aspect of privation. All your life an unattainable ecstasy has hovered just beyond the grasp of your consciousness. The day is coming when you will wake to find, beyond all hope, that you have attained it, or else, that it was within your reach and you have lost it forever.” C.S. Lewis

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "The cause of all our human miseries is a radical moral dislocation, an upset in our relation to God and to each other. For whatever else the Fall may have been, it was most certainly a sharp change in man's relation to his Creator. He adopted toward God an altered attitude, and by so doing destroyed the proper Creator-creature relation in which, unknown to him, his true happiness lay. Essentially salvation is the restoration of a right relation between man and his Creator, a bringing back to normal of the Creator-creature relation."
    — A.W. Tozer

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    “To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable.”
    CS Lewis

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The world of sense intrudes upon our attention day and night for the whole of our lifetime. It is clamorous, insistent and self-demonstrating. It does not appeal to our faith; it is here, assaulting our five senses, demanding to be accepted as real and final. But sin has so clouded the lenses of our hearts that we cannot see that other reality, the City of God, shining around us. The world of sense triumphs. The visible becomes the enemy of the invisible; the temporal, of the eternal. That is the curse inherited by every member of Adam's tragic race. At the root of the Christian life lies belief in the invisible. The object of the Christian's faith is unseen reality. God is real in the absolute and final sense that nothing else is. All other reality is contingent upon His. The great Reality is God who is the Author of that lower and dependent reality which makes up the sum of created things, including ourselves. God has objective existence independent of and apart from any notions which we may have concerning Him. The worshipping heart does not create its Object. It finds Him here when it wakes from its moral slumber in the morning of its regeneration— A.W. Tozer

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    “God created things which had free will. That means creatures which can go wrong or right. Some people think they can imagine a creature which was free but had no possibility of going wrong, but I can't. If a thing is free to be good it's also free to be bad. And free will is what has made evil possible.

Why, then, did God give them free will? Because free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. A world of automata -of creatures that worked like machines- would hardly be worth creating. The happiness which God designs for His higher creatures is the happiness of being freely, voluntarily united to Him and to each other in an ecstasy of love and delight compared with which the most rapturous love between a man and a woman on this earth is mere milk and water. And for that they've got to be free
    ." CS Lewis