Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Pedophilia - The Next Taboo To Fall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Only by those who are intent on misinterpreting it and deliberately ignore the context.
    Not really. The language does need some special attention in today's America. We do not generally read as carefully as a few decades ago. Cut Carp some slack here.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Not really. The language does need some special attention in today's America. We do not generally read as carefully as a few decades ago. Cut Carp some slack here.
      If people don't want to take the time to figure out what the Bible is really saying then that's their problem.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        At the risk of being labeled sexist, I'd bet that the majority of women suddenly choose to be "subservient" to their husband's authority when a burglar comes in the house at 3 AM, or a snake slithers across the kitchen floor....
        I’m not afraid of snakes, spiders, or any sort of crawling thing and considering my last shooting qualification was 46/50 (stupid gas mask). Would be burglars might want to stay out too because I generally can hit whatever I aim for. Although letting my husband take point is a pretty good idea still.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
          Actually, I'm the one who sleeps with a gun by my headboard and I happen to like snakes.
          I have an over 90% shooting accuracy and can hit moving targets too. I prefer my fuzzy hamster and dog over snakes, but I don’t freak out over snakes either.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            That is essentially my point. But it is possible that part of MM's reaction is rooted in our history. I can't know that, of course, only he can. But I was a member here, years ago, and though I do not think I was ever a "typical" atheist, I was more prone to reacting to attacks with attacks of my own back then. MM and I "locked horns" once or twice. I'm sure it left a bad taste in the mouth, assuming he remembers it at all.

For that too, MM, I apologize. A decade of life have mellowed this boy a tad, not to mention children, marriage, some family counseling, and 10 years of running my own business. I won't claim I have no rough edges (because my wife may someday read this ), but they have been significantly filed down.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              This is starting to explain a lot. You are indeed a feminist.
              right. and I guess that makes you a misogynistic pedophile?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                Glad to hear it. Congratulations, 40 years is quite an achievement.

What fits in “Tassyland” is that husbands and wives are equal partners, not that the man is the head of the marriage with the wife subordinate to him. Things have moved on from Paul’s day...you know suffragettes and all that.
                well obviously YOU are not married.

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                  ...and 10 years of running my own business...
                  Might I ask what business you were running, and are you still?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

That is essentially my point. But it is possible that part of MM's reaction is rooted in our history. I can't know that, of course, only he can. But I was a member here, years ago, and though I do not think I was ever a "typical" atheist, I was more prone to reacting to attacks with attacks of my own back then. MM and I "locked horns" once or twice. I'm sure it left a bad taste in the mouth, assuming he remembers it at all.
                    It's nothing personal. I treat everyone basically the same. I can come across a bit sharp at times, but I'm actually a rather dispassionate person to the point that even after a quarter-century of marriage, my wife STILL can't always tell when I'm joking. I get that from my dad. He and my mom have known each other since grade school, and she'll take him as dead serious when he's being tongue in cheek. I find it hilarious.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Might I ask what business you were running, and are you still?
                      A small telecommunications training consulting firm (www.wellspringlearning.com). I am entering my 10th year, but looking to start winding it down as I shift to semi-retirement. So I'm traveling/teaching less and doing more writing and creating of online courses for my clients. I can do that from anywhere, making it conducive to a traveling retirement...
                      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                        It's nothing personal. I treat everyone basically the same. I can come across a bit sharp at times, but I'm actually a rather dispassionate person to the point that even after a quarter-century of marriage, my wife STILL can't always tell when I'm joking. I get that from my dad. He and my mom have known each other since grade school, and she'll take him as dead serious when he's being tongue in cheek. I find it hilarious.
                        I wife can alwasy tell when I am joking...and desparately wants me to get some new ones...

Comment

A small telecommunications training consulting firm (www.wellspringlearning.com). I am entering my 10th year, but looking to start winding it down as I shift to semi-retirement. So I'm traveling/teaching less and doing more writing and creating of online courses for my clients. I can do that from anywhere, making it conducive to a traveling retirement...
                          I'm there! I have mostly pastored churches that were in decline or in trouble - I'm kind of a crisis management and problems resolution guy. Being that the church was in decline or in trouble, they wouldn't have enough money to pay staff, so I had my own computer consulting firm (usually just me) to pay the bills. The church where I now serve has been wonderfully blessed, and I was already thinking of retiring (or semi-retiring) from my computer business, but it's hard to shut down.

One of my better clients called me about a year ago and said he was starting up a new company, and wanted me to set up his IT infrastructure. I told him I was retired, and he said, "no you're not". So, I got him set up, then hired an IT guy for him.

I really have enjoyed the self-employment.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wife can alwasy tell when I am joking...and desparately wants me to get some new ones...
                            Wow - nice editing Carpe

Comment

I'm there! I have mostly pastored churches that were in decline or in trouble - I'm kind of a crisis management and problems resolution guy. Being that the church was in decline or in trouble, they wouldn't have enough money to pay staff, so I had my own computer consulting firm (usually just me) to pay the bills. The church where I now serve has been wonderfully blessed, and I was already thinking of retiring (or semi-retiring) from my computer business, but it's hard to shut down.

One of my better clients called me about a year ago and said he was starting up a new company, and wanted me to set up his IT infrastructure. I told him I was retired, and he said, "no you're not". So, I got him set up, then hired an IT guy for him.

I really have enjoyed the self-employment.
                              Likewise. It was the best decision I ever made to launch out on my own. Did it on the event of my 50th birthday with a goal of ten years to retirement. My target is next October, when I turn 60. If all goes well, I plan to celebrate it with a cross country bicycle trip from Hamlin, Maine to Friendship Park in San Diego, CA. With any luck, I'll be ding it with a friend of mine, or maybe even one of my sons.

Comment

• Originally posted by kiwimac View Post
                                Yes, Priest and Monsignor to be exact. My relationship with my wife is not slavishly bound to what Paul had to say.
                                What is your denomination, kiwi?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment