Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingles

The first time I heard of shingles was when a former co worker died from it.

Now, this co worker had traveled to many places on a classified mission, so it's possible there are other conditions he had been exposed to that we won't know about.

Now it's showing up with increasing frequency here in my town. Two of my friends have been affected.

So, even though I don't know if I ever had chicken pox, I'm going to see about that vaccine for shingles.
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Is that a strain of the virus that is new around here?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
      Is that a strain of the virus that is new around here?
      When you get chicken pox, your immune system can beat most of it, but sometimes there will still be a pocket of the virus hiding in some nerve ending or other. It may eventually break out of that little pocket, leading to the re-emergence of the chicken pox rash.

I had it the summer after my second year of college. It was diagnosed early, so I was immediately put on pills that made it a fairly painless experience, but I still had a rather ugly rash along one of my ribs for a couple of weeks.
      Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Yeah, my youngest daughter, a Hospice Nurse, was just diagnosed with it on her back. She's young - just 36, but she's taking some kind of medicine for it, and it's under control. Red splotchy spots on her back that can flame up to be extremely painful.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yeah, my youngest daughter, a Hospice Nurse, was just diagnosed with it on her back. She's young - just 36, but she's taking some kind of medicine for it, and it's under control. Red splotchy spots on her back that can flame up to be extremely painful.
          As an aside, thank God for hospice nurses.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            As an aside, thank God for hospice nurses.
            Last month she was assigned a 4 year old little girl. She got to visit her exactly 3 times before the little girl passed.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't know if I ever had the chicken pox. But I won't take any chance.

Comment

Last month she was assigned a 4 year old little girl. She got to visit her exactly 3 times before the little girl passed.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  When you get chicken pox, your immune system can beat most of it, but sometimes there will still be a pocket of the virus hiding in some nerve ending or other. It may eventually break out of that little pocket, leading to the re-emergence of the chicken pox rash.

I had it the summer after my second year of college. It was diagnosed early, so I was immediately put on pills that made it a fairly painless experience, but I still had a rather ugly rash along one of my ribs for a couple of weeks.
                  The rib area seem to be a very common area for breakouts.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                    Had them as well as measles and mumps all in the space of a month or two. Fortunately, I was too young to remember much about it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Had them as well as measles and mumps all in the space of a month or two. Fortunately, I was too young to remember much about it.
                      [official radio voice] If you've ever had chicken pox, the shingles virus is inside you! [/official radio voice]

Comment

Both my wife and I had the vaccine. At the time it was claimed to cut your chances of ever getting shingles in half. That claim has dropped from 50% to 30% I believe. Still does not cause the problem.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

For my wife the rash was itchy for a few days, but it was the severe nerve pain that got her down, not the rash.
                          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            If you haven't had chicken pox, you'll want the chicken pox vaccine, not the shingles one. Which is better really, because the shingles vaccine doesn't work very long and doesn't have a booster. It's only recommended for people over 50 or 60 depending on the doc you're talking to, and for good reason.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

[official radio voice] If you've ever had chicken pox, the shingles virus is inside you! [/official radio voice]
                              [official radio voice]One in three people will get shingles in their lifetime.[/official radio voice]
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X