Announcement

Collapse

Health Science 101 Guidelines

Greetings! Welcome to Health Science.

Here's where we talk about the latest fad diets, the advantages of vegetarianism, the joy of exercise and good health. Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.

This is a place to exchange ideas and network with other health conscience folks, this isn't a forum for heated debate.
See more
See less

Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
    The rib area seem to be a very common area for breakouts.
    Mum had them along her belt line, and years later on her face. My dad had them on the back of his head and neck. A friend of mine got them on his face a year or two ago.
    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

The first time I heard of shingles was when a former co worker died from it.

Now, this co worker had traveled to many places on a classified mission, so it's possible there are other conditions he had been exposed to that we won't know about.

Now it's showing up with increasing frequency here in my town. Two of my friends have been affected.

So, even though I don't know if I ever had chicken pox, I'm going to see about that vaccine for shingles.
      It sounds like you're worried about catching them. That can't happen. What you *can* catch from those people is chicken pox, especially (only?) if you never had them. Of course... If you do catch chicken pox... THEN there's a chance that shingles will develop, but not until years later.
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
        Both my wife and I had the vaccine. At the time it was claimed to cut your chances of ever getting shingles in half. That claim has dropped from 50% to 30% I believe. Still does not cause the problem.
        Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
        If you haven't had chicken pox, you'll want the chicken pox vaccine, not the shingles one. Which is better really, because the shingles vaccine doesn't work very long and doesn't have a booster. It's only recommended for people over 50 or 60 depending on the doc you're talking to, and for good reason.
        Kind of a bummer. My mom and dad had miserable experiences with shingles. My dad had post-herpetic neuralgia that never resolved, even after many years. I had quite a miserable case of chicken pox when I was about five years old, so I'm not eager to see how impressive a case of shingles I can develop.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Had them as well as measles and mumps all in the space of a month or two. Fortunately, I was too young to remember much about it.
          Mumps was fun. I was quite swollen, but not at all uncomfortable. For me, it was a medically-mandated vacation from school for several days.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

i have debated getting the shingles vaccine.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              i have debated getting the shingles vaccine.
              Me too, but, as a Pastor, visiting lots of people in the hospital, and having seen some really bad cases of shingles, I decided to go for it.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't recall getting it. My friends all say they remember theirs. I dunno. ..my dad was in the Army, and they made sure we were pincushions for all the shots. So it's possible I got the vaccine for it if it existed in the 60s. I'll have to check on that.
                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Chicken pox, I mean.
                  Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Shingles is like the plot to so many video games I've played: an evil force that was locked away long ago has broken free and now threatens the world (or in this case, one's body) once again.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                      Both my wife and I had the vaccine. At the time it was claimed to cut your chances of ever getting shingles in half. That claim has dropped from 50% to 30% I believe. Still does not cause the problem.
                      I don't recall getting it. My friends all say they remember theirs. I dunno. ..my dad was in the Army, and they made sure we were pincushions for all the shots. So it's possible I got the vaccine for it if it existed in the 60s. I'll have to check on that.
                      If it was available, it wasn't one of the common ones administered, at least in the first half of the decade. I was born in 1960 and got chicken pox when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

DB have your Chicken Pox Titers Drawn. That will tell you if you've ever had it. If not, get the Vaccine for both Chicken Pox and Shingles. Its Rare but being in contact with someone who has the shingles can give you chicken pox
                        A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X