Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheist Mega Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheist Mega Churches

sigpic

Comment

So what do they like have their own book.
      Is it like.
      And today we turn to Hume 17:12.
      sigpic

Comment

LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.

On Sunday, the inaugural Sunday Assembly in Los Angeles attracted several hundred people bound by their belief in non-belief. Similar gatherings in San Diego, Nashville, New York and other U.S. cities have drawn hundreds of atheists seeking the camaraderie of a congregation without religion or ritual.

The founders, British duo Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, are currently on a tongue-in-cheek "40 Dates, 40 Nights" tour around the U.S. and Australia to drum up donations and help launch new Sunday Assemblies. They hope to raise more than $800,000 that will help atheists launch their pop-up congregations around the world. So far, they have raised about $50,000.

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.

more at https://www.yahoo.com/news/atheist-m...214619648.html

Comment

"A landscape dominated by faith"?

Are you kidding me?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This feels like a joke. A really bad fundy atheist joke.@
            sigpic

Comment

The original one has already schismed when some atheists complained that it wasn't atheist enough.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
              "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
              Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

they sound desperate to me. They need God but won't admit to believing him, so they go through the motions. Really sad.

Comment

Satan always tries to counterfeit what God does.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think they are mocking Christians.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

When you think about it, a lot of atheists are just as centered around God as Christians are. They spend their entire lives obsessed with religion, while denying God. They lecture about religion, write books, hang out on theology forums like this, and now even start churches. They are desperate for God yet can't admit it. So they hang around the outside of the camp, trying to imitate religion, while having sour grapes about the whole thing.

When I dont believe in something I just ignore it. I dont hang around UFO or Bigfoot forums, or write books about them, or start clubs that deny UFOs or Bigfoot.

how many anti-unicornists do you see?
                      Last edited by Sparko; 08-13-2016, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Atheism always seemed to me like an existential crisis. They need help but are to afraid and or to stubborn to ask God for the help they need.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sparko I think you and me have a similiar hypothesis.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                            When you think about it, a lot of atheists are just as centered around God as Christians are. They spend their entire lives obsessed with religion, while denying God. They lecture about religion, write books, hang out on theology forums like this, and now even start churches. They are desperate for God yet can't admit it. So they hang around the outside of the camp, trying to imitate religion, while having sour grapes about the whole thing.

When I dont believe in something I just ignore it. I dont hang around UFO or Bigfoot forums, or write books about them, or start clubs that deny UFOs or Bigfoot.

Yeah, when you see the "atheists" who spend large amounts of time on our website fighting Christians.... sheeesh
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I don't disagree with you. But I think this is just another way for God to be mocked by unbelievers. Especially when they say they want ways to engage with the community in a faith dominated landscape. The landscape is anything BUT faith dominated. The landscape is totally ruled by unbelief.

They are sad because they are blind and lost, but I don't think they are seeking God by starting up their own "churches".

They could likely go to any mega-"church" like that run by Osteen or Warren and find community and the same level of unbelief. Just couched in less palatable terms to their ears.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X