Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheist Mega Churches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    It's not an attempt to "mock" Christianity, and they're not "out to get" you, and it's not "inspired by Satan". It's just people who enjoy intelligent discussion, community, charity, and conversation.
    Well, sure, that's what they say.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I've attended Sunday Assemblies irregularly over the past couple of years. I'd say that most people attending grew up Christian, have since become non-believers, and miss the social aspects of church services.

The services loosely mimic church services, by default, in terms of there being a main speaker (who gives a TED-like talk, usually very intellectual on a topic of charity, science, philosophy, or politics) with various songs (pop songs), minor speakers, or readings (inspirational passages or poetry), followed by coffee+biscuits+chat afterward. The services have no religious orientation, and a believing Christian who attended them probably wouldn't feel out of place or under attack. The motto is "live better, help often, wonder more" and the talks focus on how people can improve their lives and the lives of those around them, how they can get involved in helping with charities, and challenge people to think more deeply about philosophical and scientific issues.

I think church services fulfill quite an important social role in the community, and it wasn't until I hadn't been going to church for several years, that I began to realize the importance of social events that are sort of "community for the sake of it" and how church services fulfilled that role. That's sort of the idea of the Sunday Assemblies. In my experience, the singing tends to be a bit cringeworthy, and their choice of random pop songs could be improved I think by at least finding some inspirational songs.

There's no overt religious element to the services of any kind (God doesn't get mentioned)... this has caused problems a couple of times in the US because various attendees wanted the services to be explicitly atheistic and they split off to have their own services. It's not an attempt to "mock" Christianity, and they're not "out to get" you, and it's not "inspired by Satan". It's just people who enjoy intelligent discussion, community, charity, and conversation.
      Like I said. You could probably go to a Warren or Osteen type of church and get the same thing.

Of course it's inspired by Satan. All false faiths are, and this is simply another counterfeit religion.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
        Cowpoke you a roastmaster dude.

Thanks

I think
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          LOS ANGELES (AP) — It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God.

Nearly three dozen gatherings dubbed "atheist mega-churches" by supporters and detractors have sprung up around the U.S. and Australia — with more to come — after finding success in Great Britain earlier this year. The movement fueled by social media and spearheaded by two prominent British comedians is no joke.

On Sunday, the inaugural Sunday Assembly in Los Angeles attracted several hundred people bound by their belief in non-belief. Similar gatherings in San Diego, Nashville, New York and other U.S. cities have drawn hundreds of atheists seeking the camaraderie of a congregation without religion or ritual.

The founders, British duo Sanderson Jones and Pippa Evans, are currently on a tongue-in-cheek "40 Dates, 40 Nights" tour around the U.S. and Australia to drum up donations and help launch new Sunday Assemblies. They hope to raise more than $800,000 that will help atheists launch their pop-up congregations around the world. So far, they have raised about $50,000.

They don't bash believers but want to find a new way to meet likeminded people, engage in the community and make their presence more visible in a landscape dominated by faith.

more at https://www.yahoo.com/news/atheist-m...214619648.html
          I thought about this in Church this morning .... "It looked like a typical Sunday morning at any mega-church. Several hundred people, including families with small children, packed in for more than an hour of rousing music, an inspirational talk and some quiet reflection. The only thing missing was God."

'Several hundred people' is a mega-church?

megachurch.jpg

Comment

I think this just shows that humans crave a sort of community based upon higher ideals. Many people find this in religion; others find it in politics and other things. When people who were previously religious lose their faith, it makes sense to me that they miss that sort of community and may want to look to something like this as a substitute.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
              Hey! Are you implying unicorns AREN'T real?!?!?
              only some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Actually I see nothing wrong with the idea although church is probably not a good term to define the gathering place since church implies worship of a deity, and we know how upset christians get if their terms of definition, like marriage, are used in a different context from their own. Thats not what they do, obviously, they don't worship a deity. Its just about a community gathering of like minded people, humanist, who don't attribute their morality and the like to the supernatural.
                Who follow the "formula" of church, even down to the hymns. Right. They want to imitate church. But without God. They want what church offers but without God. It doesn't work that way. Church is about worshiping God, not humanity. Without God, it is just a big sad, back-patting party.

2 Timothy 3:3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Comment

I've attended Sunday Assemblies irregularly over the past couple of years. I'd say that most people attending grew up Christian, have since become non-believers, and miss the social aspects of church services.

The services loosely mimic church services, by default, in terms of there being a main speaker (who gives a TED-like talk, usually very intellectual on a topic of charity, science, philosophy, or politics) with various songs (pop songs), minor speakers, or readings (inspirational passages or poetry), followed by coffee+biscuits+chat afterward. The services have no religious orientation, and a believing Christian who attended them probably wouldn't feel out of place or under attack. The motto is "live better, help often, wonder more" and the talks focus on how people can improve their lives and the lives of those around them, how they can get involved in helping with charities, and challenge people to think more deeply about philosophical and scientific issues.

I think church services fulfill quite an important social role in the community, and it wasn't until I hadn't been going to church for several years, that I began to realize the importance of social events that are sort of "community for the sake of it" and how church services fulfilled that role. That's sort of the idea of the Sunday Assemblies. In my experience, the singing tends to be a bit cringeworthy, and their choice of random pop songs could be improved I think by at least finding some inspirational songs.

There's no overt religious element to the services of any kind (God doesn't get mentioned)... this has caused problems a couple of times in the US because various attendees wanted the services to be explicitly atheistic and they split off to have their own services. It's not an attempt to "mock" Christianity, and they're not "out to get" you, and it's not "inspired by Satan". It's just people who enjoy intelligent discussion, community, charity, and conversation.
                  It is a sad and empty gesture. Like blind men looking for a light switch.

Comment

Who follow the "formula" of church, even down to the hymns. Right. They want to imitate church. But without God. They want what church offers but without God. It doesn't work that way. Church is about worshiping God, not humanity. Without God, it is just a big sad, back-patting party.

2 Timothy 3:3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
                    Well, they follow the "formula" of a non-liturgical Protestant church. It's probably nearly indistinguishable from what you'd get at a Unitarian Universalist church.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Well, they follow the "formula" of a non-liturgical Protestant church. It's probably nearly indistinguishable from what you'd get at a Unitarian Universalist church.
                      or like mossy said, at a church like Osteen's, which is more about "me me me" than God.

Comment

It doesn't seem like mockery to me...if anything, it seems like more of a compliment. "Hey, maybe this church thing isn't such a bad idea after all...."

I do wonder what they sing about, though.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                          It doesn't seem like mockery to me...if anything, it seems like more of a compliment. "Hey, maybe this church thing isn't such a bad idea after all...."

I do wonder what they sing about, though.
                          watch the video at the beginning of the thread.

Comment

or like mossy said, at a church like Osteen's, which is more about "me me me" than God.
                            It's not just "me me me". It's how to be a BETTER me!

Comment

I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
                              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                                I could see going to a Unitarian Universalist church, but going to an "atheist church" just seems bizarre.
                                I imagine they are like going to a large motivational seminar.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X