Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free Grace Theology by Charlie Bing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Grace Theology by Charlie Bing

I watched a video about free grace theology by Charlie Bing. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81zMZnWHVA

What do you think?

I agree that we are saved by God's grace alone and that justification is received by faith alone. Charlie Bing says that faith means to be persuaded that something is true. I think this definition of faith does not go far enough. Faith is not just being persuaded that something is true. Faith entails depending or relying on someone or something.

Charlie Bing denies that submitting to God's authority or surrender is included in the definition of the word "faith." I agree with this.

I believe that when God regenerates someone, God guarantees that he or she will be changed. God guarantees that he or she will submit to God's authority. Charlie Bing would disagree with this. He thinks that this view makes our works an essential part of salvation. My response is that there is a distinction between the consequence of being born again and the basis upon which someone is justified. A changed life is one of the consequences of being born again, but this does not mean that a changed life is the basis upon which God declares a sinner justified.

Faith is relying on someone or something. There has to be a source of information - we each begin with our qwn senses of our own experience of our own being - existence. Faith begins there.

Faith is rooted in truth as we perceive it. Truth is the basis for faith. Reality - existence defines truth for us.

Now faith does involve trusting others beyond our selves. For an exampe: The planet Jupiter now is known to have 67 natural satellites. But for this beyoned one's own observations of 4 of its moons is trusting others.

We trust the writers of written history. As Christians the books of the Bible.

Either something trusted is true or one trusts in a falsehood. Trusting in our own efforts is not grace.
    Last edited by 37818; 08-15-2016, 08:23 AM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by JaxB
      I believe that when God regenerates someone, God guarantees that he or she will be changed. God guarantees that he or she will submit to God's authority.
      God guarantees that we will submit to his authority at the resurrection. Before that, he only regenerates our spirit and not our flesh. And our flesh can cause us to rebel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxb View Post
        I watched a video about free grace theology by Charlie Bing. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81zMZnWHVA

What do you think?
        It doesn't want to play in my browser, which is fine, because I don't have the patience or desire to sit through 28+ minutes anyway.

I agree that we are saved by God's grace alone and that justification is received by faith alone. Charlie Bing says that faith means to be persuaded that something is true. I think this definition of faith does not go far enough. Faith is not just being persuaded that something is true. Faith entails depending or relying on someone or something.
        I agree with you and not Charlie. And as an aside, I wonder if Charlie is related to Chandler.

Charlie Bing denies that submitting to God's authority or surrender is included in the definition of the word "faith." I agree with this.
        I believe that saving faith/belief entails acknowledging Jesus as I AM. I'm not sure how at least *some* notion of submission to Divine authority is not included in this.

I believe that when God regenerates someone, God guarantees that he or she will be changed. God guarantees that he or she will submit to God's authority.
        I agree that conversion entails actual, if not necessarily explainable, change of identity and heritage. I don't believe that guarantees submission to Divine authority. If it did, no Xian would ever sin -- but we do.

Charlie Bing would disagree with this. He thinks that this view makes our works an essential part of salvation. My response is that there is a distinction between the consequence of being born again and the basis upon which someone is justified. A changed life is one of the consequences of being born again, but this does not mean that a changed life is the basis upon which God declares a sinner justified.
        Right, we do the deeds because we ARE saved, not in order TO BE saved.

Of course, even among those who believe this, there are disagreements as to what those deeds are.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
          Faith is relying on someone or something. There has to be a source of information - we each begin with our qwn senses of our own experience of our own being - existence. Faith begins there.

Faith is rooted in truth as we perceive it. Truth is the basis for faith. Reality - existence defines truth for us.

Now faith does involve trusting others beyond our selves. For an exampe: The planet Jupiter now is known to have 67 natural satellites. But for this beyoned one's own observations of 4 of its moons is trusting others.

We trust the writers of written history. As Christians the books of the Bible.

Either something trusted is true or one trusts in a falsehood. Trusting in our own efforts is not grace.
          I agree. We should trust in Christ, not in our own efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
            God guarantees that we will submit to his authority at the resurrection. Before that, he only regenerates our spirit and not our flesh. And our flesh can cause us to rebel.
            God guarantees that the justified person will have a changed life, but this does not mean that he will live a life of sinless perfection while he is on this earth.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
              It doesn't want to play in my browser, which is fine, because I don't have the patience or desire to sit through 28+ minutes anyway.

I agree with you and not Charlie. And as an aside, I wonder if Charlie is related to Chandler.

I believe that saving faith/belief entails acknowledging Jesus as I AM. I'm not sure how at least *some* notion of submission to Divine authority is not included in this.

I agree that conversion entails actual, if not necessarily explainable, change of identity and heritage. I don't believe that guarantees submission to Divine authority. If it did, no Xian would ever sin -- but we do.

Right, we do the deeds because we ARE saved, not in order TO BE saved.

Of course, even among those who believe this, there are disagreements as to what those deeds are.
              Submission to Christ accompanies faith in Christ. When a person places his faith in Christ, he will also submit to Christ's authority. Submission is not included in the definition of word faith, but submission does accompany faith.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X