Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Git a Rope" is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Git a Rope" is Racist?

Pretty much all my life, I've heard the phrase "git a rope", always in a 'feigned anger' way when somebody says or does something dumb.

"Salsa made in New York City? Git a rope!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/noose-di...ghway-drivers/

noose.jpg

MOUNDS, Okla. - A display of nooses shocked motorists along an Oklahoma highway.

CBS Tulsa affiliate KOTV reports the display was up for only a short time, and had been placed there because the homeowner was trying to deter thieves.

The nooses were hung in a tree with a sign that read: "It's best not to be hanging around this area after dark."

Okmulgee County Sheriff Eddy Rice told KOTV the homeowner removed the signs voluntarily after a day or so because of the negative attention on social media and possible danger of people stopping on the highway to look at it. Rice said the display was not illegal.

KJRH-TV reports that the owner of the display, Merle Martindale, says it was not meant to be racist, just merely a warning to any potential thief.

But driver Terrance Reed Sr. says a noose in America represents what used to happen to African Americans. Reed says he considers the display to be an attack on his heritage.

Driver Dennis Varner says the display also bothered him. Varner says the display is discrimination and America shouldn't put up with it.

Does anybody here really think of "Git a Rope" implying the lynching of blacks?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

i thought it meant to get rid of those pesky cattle rustlers.

Would never have thought of it referring to the lynching of blacks.

But, what else would our stupid culture think of?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I think it's a classic example of too much "racism" on the mind - I would never have associated it with lynching.... yeah, maybe I watched too many Westerns.

hang.jpg
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They hang horse thieves don't they?

Comment

Everything is offensive to someone these days. America is now in the age of the crybaby.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
            Everything is offensive to someone these days. America is now in the age of the crybaby.
            I am offend by that. Apologize now! Or I will riot.

Comment

If a single person riots, is that what is normally called "a tantrum"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                If a single person riots, is that what is normally called "a tantrum"?
                He'll have his crew as backup.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I am offend by that. Apologize now! Or I will riot.
                  I am sorry that everything is offensive to someone these days. And I am sorry that America is now in the age of the crybaby.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I guess maybe it could depend on what part of the country it's in. Not too many rustlers here in Georgia but there were some blacks who were lynched.

That being said, what do you expect in a culture that coddles those who are so determined to be offended?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      I guess maybe it could depend on what part of the country it's in. Not too many rustlers here in Georgia but there were some blacks who were lynched.

That being said, what do you expect in a culture that coddles those who are so determined to be offended?
                      The people in this thread seem awfully determined to be offended.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                        The people in this thread seem awfully determined to be offended.
                        Don't be meta.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Don't be meta.
                          Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
                            Why?
                            Well, it's not expecially accurate, for starters. The people in the thread are more indignant or condemnatory than offended.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Well, it's not expecially accurate, for starters. The people in the thread are more indignant or condemnatory than offended.
                              Necessary distinctions, to be sure

Comment