Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Git a Rope" is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CP
    Don't you love it when technology "helps" you?
    Good thing mossy was around to help him, too!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Don't you love it when technology "helps" you?
      Yup, its a pretty good system though that I recommend. Its called Last Pass, and it lets you set a new long difficult and random password each time you register somewhere. Just remember to turn off password saving in your browser so that it doesn't write the old one (Last Pass is good at automatically catching password changes).

I had to have it after becoming part of the sysadmin team at the company I work at.

Very safe... but a little annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        Good thing mossy was around to help him, too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          Yup, its a pretty good system though that I recommend. Its called Last Pass, and it lets you set a new long difficult and random password each time you register somewhere. Just remember to turn off password saving in your browser so that it doesn't write the old one (Last Pass is good at automatically catching password changes).

I had to have it after becoming part of the sysadmin team at the company I work at.

Very safe... but a little annoying.
          I use Roboform. I work on multiple computers, so the sync is great - no matter what computer I'm on, my passwords come with me. I just have to remember one master password which is 'password'.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I use Roboform. I work on multiple computers, so the sync is great - no matter what computer I'm on, my passwords come with me. I just have to remember one master password which is 'password'.
            Sounds similar. Does it have multi-factor authentication like LastPass? I use a 16-character randomly generated password. Thankfully its the only one, except for the those I use for my devices which I keep different from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
              Sounds similar. Does it have multi-factor authentication like LastPass? I use a 16-character randomly generated password. Thankfully its the only one, except for the those I use for my devices which I keep different from that.

In order to utilize this security feature, you will first need to "Turn On" the feature within your RoboForm Everywher Account. After activation, a one-time password will be sent to your registered email account each time you log on from an unregistered computer or mobile device. This email will contain a unique code that you will use to verify the new device. Once the device is registered, it will then be set up for repeated use, along with your user name and log-in password. Devices can also be removed from the “Approved” list at any time, at your discretion.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• I just use the same password everywhere: a*+_(_0 lkja djlkadjf alkdfjlkdfj alkjfer0932992=0 0vl dmnvkasdn o~@!#!~$~@#4 n34 jnkhjjk

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I just use the same password everywhere: a*+_(_0 lkja djlkadjf alkdfjlkdfj alkjfer0932992=0 0vl dmnvkasdn o~@!#!~$~@#4 n34 jnkhjjk
                  I'm surprised it doesn't contain either of....

A) the word 'bacon'
                  2) some of them German letters with the sideways colon over them

Comment

• Source: http://kfor.com/2016/08/30/controversy-over-oklahoma-magazine-cover/

ARDMORE, Okla.-- An Oklahoma magazine is stirring up controversy.

Inside Friday’s Daily Ardmoreite edition was this season’s Southern Oklahoma Living magazine.

When Gene Autry’s mayor, Kyle Lawson, saw the cover his jaw nearly dropped.

“My first initial reaction was I almost spit my coffee out when I first saw it,” Lawson said.

On the cover is a baby in a costume supposed to resemble the tin man.

“Just the way that the hood kind of goes up and the handle for the tin man`s hat is kind of hidden behind the 'I',” Lawson said. “And just the way the flap comes down on the side it looks like one of the Klansmen baby outfits.”

News Channel 4 stopped by to talk to the publisher.

She was not there, but we got a copy of Sunday’s paper.

In it she wrote an article titled “Friday was a sad day in Ardmore”.

She wrote, "Unfortunately, with the current climate in the country, even the most innocuous imagery can be misconstrued into something hateful and destructive."

The article went on to say, "I don't have a formal apology but here's what I will say, if you were offended by the photo I'm sorry you didn't see what I saw. Or what I'm sure many other people saw -- a child dressed as an iconic character from one of the most beloved films of the Twentieth Century."

We are told the costume was store bought.

One local woman said she is taking the picture to the NAACP.

promo296882648.jpg

© Copyright Original Source

Comment

Source: http://kfor.com/2016/08/30/controversy-over-oklahoma-magazine-cover/

Inside Friday’s Daily Ardmoreite edition was this season’s Southern Oklahoma Living magazine.

“My first initial reaction was I almost spit my coffee out when I first saw it,” Lawson said.

“Just the way that the hood kind of goes up and the handle for the tin man`s hat is kind of hidden behind the 'I',” Lawson said. “And just the way the flap comes down on the side it looks like one of the Klansmen baby outfits.”

She wrote, "Unfortunately, with the current climate in the country, even the most innocuous imagery can be misconstrued into something hateful and destructive."

The article went on to say, "I don't have a formal apology but here's what I will say, if you were offended by the photo I'm sorry you didn't see what I saw. Or what I'm sure many other people saw -- a child dressed as an iconic character from one of the most beloved films of the Twentieth Century."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18235[/ATTACH]

~~~~ if they only had a brain!

(oh, wait - that was the scarecrow!)

Comment

Source: http://kfor.com/2016/08/30/controversy-over-oklahoma-magazine-cover/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18235[/ATTACH]

More accurate lede: "Gene Autry's mayor is stirring up controversy."
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• I can see the error on first view, but once you know what that it is NOT racist, and is just a bad angle, then why get angry? Why continue the "controversy"? Just say, "woah, bad photo. Probably should have really checked that before printing. But no harm, no foul. Honest error. Not racist" and go on.

Yet to the libs, even when they KNOW it is not racist, and basically an optical illusion, they still want to cry "racism" and send it to the NAACP and demand apologies and all that. Play the victim card!

Comment

• Something like this came up at work today.

I've been responsible for training a new hire, who is black.

The other day, when I was looking for a portable seat to put in my truck so he could ride along with me, an older lady I work with made a joke about how he would have to just get a rope to tie to the back of the truck. My trainee told me he considered this offensive.

Knowing the lady who said this, I know she didn't have anything malicious in mind. But given that the guy I'm training is from Texas, I understand he might have been thinking of this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr. Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines of the opening scene of Back to the Future where the guy hitches on to passing cars with his skateboard. The idea of anything more sinister didn't even cross my mind until he said something today.

Basically, I affirmed that I saw where he was coming from but told him that I knew the lady wasn't trying to offend him. I'm really hoping he doesn't escalate the situation by filing a complaint.
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 09-07-2016, 10:49 PM.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

• Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Something like this came up at work today.

I've been responsible for training a new hire, who is black.

The other day, when I was looking for a portable seat to put in my truck so he could ride along with me, an older lady I work with made a joke about how he would have to just get a rope to tie to the back of the truck. My trainee told me he considered this offensive.

Knowing the lady who said this, I know she didn't have anything malicious in mind. But given that the guy I'm training is from Texas, I understand he might have been thinking of this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr. Honestly, I was thinking more along the lines of the opening scene of Back to the Future where the guy hitches on to passing cars with his skateboard. The idea of anything more sinister didn't even cross my mind until he said something today.

Basically, I affirmed that I saw where he was coming from but told him that I knew the lady wasn't trying to offend him. I'm really hoping he doesn't escalate the situation by filing a complaint.
                              Sounds like a pretty dumb thing for her to say, regardless of intent, but... sounds like you're on top of it!

Comment