Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"Git a Rope" is Racist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    If a single person riots, is that what is normally called "a tantrum"?
    So only married people can riot?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
      The people in this thread seem awfully determined to be offended.
      I find that comment to be offensive. Apologize or I will have to find a safe place to cry.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        Well, it's not expecially accurate, for starters. The people in the thread are more indignant or condemnatory than offended.
        Or wryly amused

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Or wryly amused
          I lyke wry bred. But white bread is offensive and racist!

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
            The people in this thread seem awfully determined to be offended.
            Jaecp amen'd you, therefore, your point is invalid.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Well, it's not expecially accurate, for starters. The people in the thread are more indignant or condemnatory than offended.
              Actually, I'm just mildly surprised. It's just weird that "get a rope" would be a reason for people to get their panties in a bunch.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Speaking of white bread... did you know that bread (actually sandwiches) of any kind is racist? It's true!

Verenice Gutierrez picks up on the subtle language of racism every day.

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.
                http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news...rum-for-equity

Comment

Speaking of white bread... did you know that bread (actually sandwiches) of any kind is racist? It's true!

Take the peanut butter sandwich, a seemingly innocent example a teacher used in a lesson last school year.

“What about Somali or Hispanic students, who might not eat sandwiches?” says Gutierrez, principal at Harvey Scott K-8 School, a diverse school of 500 students in Northeast Portland’s Cully neighborhood.

“Another way would be to say: ‘Americans eat peanut butter and jelly, do you have anything like that?’ Let them tell you. Maybe they eat torta. Or pita.”

Guitierrez, along with all of Portland Public Schools’ principals, will start the new school year off this week by drilling in on the language of “Courageous Conversations,” the district-wide equity training being implemented in every building in phases during the past few years.

Through intensive staff trainings, frequent staff meetings, classroom observations and other initiatives, the premise is that if educators can understand their own “white privilege,” then they can change their teaching practices to boost minority students’ performance.
                  If only they could spend that much time and effort on the basics - reading 'riting and 'rithmatic - maybe our schools wouldn't be some of the worst (or most "average") in the world.

Comment

But then among some liberals a white person eating torta or pita is condemned as cultural appropriation

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      But then among some liberals a white person eating torta or pita is condemned as cultural appropriation
                      Yep.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/11/...appropriation/
                      Cultural appropriation is when members of a dominant culture adopt parts of another culture from people that they’ve also systematically oppressed. The dominant culture can try the food and love the food without ever having to experience oppression because of their consumption.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/05/09/la...e-to-mexicans/
                      Northwestern University continued to stumble over diversity issues this week as Mexican students voiced disagreement with a campuswide letter that advised students not to celebrate Cinco de Mayo by engaging in racially-offensive activities, such as eating tacos and drinking tequila.

Comment

I can see how the 'git a rope' could be read as aggressive... as if they wanted to attack New Yorkers... who are black... I guess...

The racist connection seem a bit forced.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Pretty much all my life, I've heard the phrase "git a rope", always in a 'feigned anger' way when somebody says or does something dumb.

"Salsa made in New York City? Git a rope!"

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/noose-di...ghway-drivers/

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17867[/ATTACH]

MOUNDS, Okla. - A display of nooses shocked motorists along an Oklahoma highway.

CBS Tulsa affiliate KOTV reports the display was up for only a short time, and had been placed there because the homeowner was trying to deter thieves.

The nooses were hung in a tree with a sign that read: "It's best not to be hanging around this area after dark."

Okmulgee County Sheriff Eddy Rice told KOTV the homeowner removed the signs voluntarily after a day or so because of the negative attention on social media and possible danger of people stopping on the highway to look at it. Rice said the display was not illegal.

KJRH-TV reports that the owner of the display, Merle Martindale, says it was not meant to be racist, just merely a warning to any potential thief.

But driver Terrance Reed Sr. says a noose in America represents what used to happen to African Americans. Reed says he considers the display to be an attack on his heritage.

Driver Dennis Varner says the display also bothered him. Varner says the display is discrimination and America shouldn't put up with it.

Does anybody here really think of "Git a Rope" implying the lynching of blacks?
                          I don't as we have been hanging people other than blacks for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by HumbleThinker View Post
                            I don't as we have been hanging people other than blacks for ages.
                            Last three person hanged in the U.S. (since 1965):

Westley Allan Dodd
                            ed1f4b74b68cafada9446731e35b187d.jpg

Charles Rodman Campbell
                            1-charles-rodman-campbell.jpg

Billy Bailey
                            bailey.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
                              I can see how the 'git a rope' could be read as aggressive... as if they wanted to attack New Yorkers... who are black... I guess...
                              Is it commonly believed in your country that New Yorkers are predominantly black?

Yeah, QUITE a bit forced.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post

There's quite a bit of trauma in my nations history around the use of lynching as a hate crime to terrorize black people. All the old white people that post here may have escape that, but it didn't escape the rest of us or, in this case, the news

Comment