Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone's Printing up Souls

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Someone's Printing up Souls

My sister is off the deep end with whacky religious beliefs, conspiracies, and UFO theories. She recently sent me a bunch of news reports on kids who have uncanny memories of being another person, and it's kinda thrown me for a loop. I figured I'd watch a couple clips to kill some time and because I figured I could easily respond. I was kind of surprised that I found it hard to explain.

I frankly don't know what's going on with these kids, but I'm immediately dismissing reincarnation only because it makes no mathematical sense. On a less logical more emotional level, though, I object to it because I find it repugnant as a spiritual "model" (in the same way I find eternally punishing Hindus who don't convert from their native religion to Christianity or Islam disturbing).

This is a hostile planet. I'm not really interested in coming back in the form of another person or less intelligent creature. Yuck.

You can find the clips on YouTube. Watch the ones with the highest views. Also, here's link to an article on it:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...ir-past-lives/

The heck's going on here?

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather Jedidiah's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Bridey Murphy.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    "Collective Evolution" is a hotbed for nuttery.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by whag View Post
    My sister is off the deep end with whacky religious beliefs, conspiracies, and UFO theories. She recently sent me a bunch of news reports on kids who have uncanny memories of being another person, and it's kinda thrown me for a loop. I figured I'd watch a couple clips to kill some time and because I figured I could easily respond. I was kind of surprised that I found it hard to explain.

I frankly don't know what's going on with these kids, but I'm immediately dismissing reincarnation only because it makes no mathematical sense. On a less logical more emotional level, though, I object to it because I find it repugnant as a spiritual "model" (in the same way I find eternally punishing Hindus who don't convert from their native religion to Christianity or Islam disturbing).

This is a hostile planet. I'm not really interested in coming back in the form of another person or less intelligent creature. Yuck.

You can find the clips on YouTube. Watch the ones with the highest views. Also, here's link to an article on it:

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...ir-past-lives/

The heck's going on here?
    "Collective-Evolution is a woo-mongering click-bait website". It's about as convincing as Deepak Chopra.,

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Collective_Evolution
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I used to work with a (brilliant) lawyer who was convinced he had died on the field at Gettysburg during the Civil War (and he could show you where).

My off-the-cuff theory is that demons would have the capacity to have known the other people and would have the motivation to plant these thoughts in others in order to induce them to believe a lie.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ... On a less logical more emotional level, though, I object to it because I find it repugnant as a spiritual "model" (in the same way I find eternally punishing Hindus who don't convert from their native religion to Christianity or Islam disturbing). ...
    I too object to belief in reincarnation. It is completely disrespectful of the fundamental dignity of the human person and identity. At least the doctrine of eternal hell, whether one believes in it or not, respects the importance of who we are and what we do in our lives.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

7. Amen Adrift, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    I too object to belief in reincarnation. It is completely disrespectful of the fundamental dignity of the human person and identity. At least the doctrine of eternal hell, whether one believes in it or not, respects the importance of who we are and what we do in our lives.
    I do not consider the doctrine of eternal hell respectful of the importance(?) of who we are and what we do in our lives. In Christianity the doctrine of hell is contingent on complying with specific religious beliefs and sometimes complying with specific rituals. It does not take into consideration the diverse nature of human belief and the responsibility for the nature of human belief and actions.

I object to the egoistic view of reincarnation as with the egoistic view of salvation, and who would be condemned to hell and who is destined for the good life in heaven, whatever that is. Some form of Reincarnation is possibly, but like heaven and hell in any form it is very much speculative.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 08-19-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    I do not consider the doctrine of eternal hell respectful of the importance(?) of who we are and what we do in our lives. In Christianity the doctrine of hell is contingent on complying with specific religious beliefs and sometimes complying with specific rituals. It does not take into consideration the diverse nature of human belief and the responsibility for the nature of human belief and actions.

I object to the egoistic view of reincarnation as with the egoistic view of salvation, and who would be condemned to hell and who is destined for the good life in heaven, whatever that is. Some form of Reincarnation is possibly, but like heaven and hell in any form it is very much speculative.
    I am merely alluding to the importance and eternal significance of who we are and what we do from the perspective of God. I trust that God is in no way limited in his wisdom and judgment by limited views of "complying with specific religious beliefs and sometimes complying with specific rituals." I am sure that God certainly does "take into consideration the diverse nature of human belief and the responsibility for the nature of human belief and actions."

10. Amen Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    At least the doctrine of eternal hell, whether one believes in it or not, respects the importance of who we are and what we do in our lives.
    I don't think one model wins over the other. Both have repugnant characteristics, which would be interesting to discuss here.

BTW, what do you think of these kids with weird recalls?

https://youtu.be/Uk7biSOzr1k

I view it the same as I view alleged demonic phenomena, but I wonder if it's reasonable to doubt both phenomena.

12. Amen shunyadragon amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't think one model wins over the other. Both have repugnant characteristics, which would be interesting to discuss here.
    I avoid the repugnant characteristics of both models and just trust that God can sort everything out much better than I can.

BTW, what do you think of these kids with weird recalls?

https://youtu.be/Uk7biSOzr1k
    No idea. Power of suggestion and incredible imaginations of young children? But, in the end, who knows?

I view it the same as I view alleged demonic phenomena, but I wonder if it's reasonable to doubt both phenomena.
    I've known a couple of exorcists and both of them told me its best by far to avoid dwelling on the paranormal or demonic. Just live your life, love others, trust God, and do your best.

14. Amen Bill the Cat, DesertBerean, Rushing Jaws amen'd this post.