Announcement

Collapse

General Theistics 101 Guidelines

This area is open for nontheists and theists to interact on issues of theism and faith in a civilized manner. We ask that nontheist participation respect the theistic views of others and not seek to undermine theism in general, or advocate for nontheism. Such posts are more suited for and allowable in Apologetics 301 with very little restriction.

The moderators of this area are given great discretion to determine if a particular thread or comment would more appropriately belong in another forum area.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Someone's Printing up Souls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Where?
    "... until you have paid the last mite." Of course this verse can be interpreted differently. Even the 'where worm does not die' quote from Isaiah was used in the Jewish tradition alongside belief in purgatory.
    βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
    ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
      I don't really know about that kind of stuff.
      The Bible says demons interact with human beings.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
        The Bible says demons interact with human beings.
        Sure does, but, in the immortal words of Ira Gershwin, everything that you're liable, to read in the Bible, it ain't necessarily so. Some things need to be interpreted in the light of historical and cultural contexts that may or may not apply in today's context, eg, most people today no longer believe that epilepsy is caused by demons. That is not to take such things lightly, but neither in an overly simplistic manner.

Comment

Originally posted by robrecht View Post
          Even the 'where worm does not die' quote from Isaiah was used in the Jewish tradition alongside belief in purgatory.
          Where can I read more about this?
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Where can I read more about this?
            I first came across early Jewish discussions of some kind of purgatory in the Talmud, in the teachings of the followers of Shammai. While Jesus is typically considered a Hillelite, especially on account of his version of the golden rule (but note the significant positive twist), I don't think he is so easily classified and note his agreement with the Shammaites regarding their important teaching against divorce specifically and the much stricter morality in the world to come in general. That Jewish belief in purgatory predates Christianity and the Talmud is also confirmed by 2 Maccabees, regardless of whether or not one holds it to be canonical. Some of the specific references can be found in the article in the Jewish Encyclopedia here.
            Last edited by robrecht; 08-21-2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

What I never understood about reincarnation is that if people are reincarnated over and over, and it seems everyone has a past life or two, or three, then how is it that there are a heck of a lot more people now? Wouldn't most souls be new? How can all these people claim to have past lives? There were not that many people in the past. Do souls split up? Are there 2000 versions of Abraham Lincoln's soul walking around today or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                What I never understood about reincarnation is that if people are reincarnated over and over, and it seems everyone has a past life or two, or three, then how is it that there are a heck of a lot more people now? Wouldn't most souls be new? How can all these people claim to have past lives? There were not that many people in the past. Do souls split up? Are there 2000 versions of Abraham Lincoln's soul walking around today or something?
                Most of the people alive now were obviously lower life forms in prior lives. I mean, all of those Democrats had to come from SOMEwhere.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  Most of the people alive now were obviously lower life forms in prior lives. I mean, all of those Democrats had to come from SOMEwhere.

Ah that makes sense. Amoebas.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Someone's printing up souls.

Comment

Q2Lk5d5Ydk-8.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post

But if you read the popular accounts most of them were royalty in their past lives.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                          But if you read the popular accounts most of them were royalty in their past lives.
                          See post #5.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

OBP had the best explanation from a Christian perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                              The most popular videos on YouTube profile two boys who recall memories of being a poor African American woman and a WWII pilot. You think demons did this?
                              Last edited by whag; 08-23-2016, 11:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                                The most popular videos on YouTube profile two boys who recall memories of being a poor African American woman and a WWII pilot. You think demons did this?
                                Not necessarily. They could just be making everything up to get attention.

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X