Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Spike in Black support for Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spike in Black support for Trump

After Trump's best speech ever:

The Los Angeles Times/USC Dornsife national tracking poll of the presidential campaign picked up a sharp uptick in African-American support for Republican nominee Donald J. Trump, which it now pegs at 14.6 percent. When the “Daybreak” poll began July 10, Trump‘s support among black voters was 4.6 percent and he fluctuated between 5.4 percent Aug. 1 and 2.5 percent Aug. 11.The upswing in support for Trump–more than 500 percent above his low less than a week previous–comes after the New York City developer’s address Tuesday in the Milwaukee suburb of West Bend, Wisconsin. In that speech, Trump made his most direct play for African-American support in the campaign:

Originally posted by The Donald
    We reject the bigotry of Hillary Clinton which panders to and talks down to communities of color and sees them only as votes, not as individual human beings worthy of a better future. She doesn’t care at all about the hurting people of this country, or the suffering she has caused them. The African-American community has been taken for granted for decades by the Democratic Party. It’s time to break with the failures of the past – I want to offer Americans a new future.
    The speech itself was a risk because the Trump campaign had planned the event before Sunday’s riots less than an hour south in the black neighborhoods of Wisconsin’s largest city. The main theme of the speech was law and order and the need to back up law enforcement in a climate where police officers are now tagged as the enemy of the common people.

Trump took that straight on:

Originally posted by The Donald
    The main victims of these riots are law-abiding African-American citizens living in these neighborhoods. It is their jobs, their homes, their schools and communities which will suffer as a result. There is no compassion in tolerating lawless conduct. Crime and violence is an attack on the poor, and will never be accepted in a Trump Administration.
    http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presid...waukee-appeal/
    2.6% -> 14.6%

Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

I thought it was a good move. And his "what have you got to lose" appeal makes sense to many blacks. I think he should go further, and challenge them, "Just this once, send a strong message to the Democratic Party that they don't own you".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Oh noes. How ever will the Clinton camp recover from a crushing blow like this?

Last edited by Yttrium; 08-20-2016, 02:43 PM.
      Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

I'm looking for any other evidence of this besides Breitbart. Anybody?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          I thought it was a good move. And his "what have you got to lose" appeal makes sense to many blacks. I think he should go further, and challenge them, "Just this once, send a strong message to the Democratic Party that they don't own you".
          Apparently you believe that African Americans are slaves to the democratic party, that they don't think and choose for themselves. They aren't democrats because they are owned by the democratic party CP, they are democrats for the same reason others are democrats, because they choose to be. There are also a few African Americans, as well as many whites, who choose to be republicans. Talking about African Americans as if they were idiots, something you republicans can't seem to understand, is no way to win their support!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            Apparently you believe that African Americans are slaves to the democratic party, that they don't think and choose for themselves.
            Jimmy, you really need to stop this "guessing what other people think" thing. You really suck at it. You have been wrong nearly 100% of the time. Perhaps you took too literally "owns us"... that just means that the Democrats keep taking the black vote for granted, constantly promising them things, but never delivering.

They aren't democrats because they are owned by the democratic party CP, they are democrats for the same reason others are democrats, because they choose to be keep on believing the same old lies and falling for the same old broken promises.
            Fixed it for you, Jimmy.

There are also a few African Americans, as well as many whites, who choose to be republicans.
            a FEW?

Talking about African Americans as if they were idiots is no way to win their support!
            Which is why the Democrats risk losing their support, so you should stop doing that, Jimmy.

(You never answered - are you part of the secret backchannel "whine about the conservatives" group on Tweb? I bet they didn't invite you cause they don't think you're as smart as them. )

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Jimmy, you really need to stop this "guessing what other people think" thing. You really suck at it. You have been wrong nearly 100% of the time. Perhaps you took too literally "owns us"... that just means that the Democrats keep taking the black vote for granted, constantly promising them things, but never delivering.

Fixed it for you, Jimmy.

a FEW?

Which is why the Democrats risk losing their support, so you should stop doing that, Jimmy.
              Like I said, you think African Americans are to stupid to make decisions for themselves. Unlike yourself, you think that African Americans are so stupid that they keep falling for the same lies.
              (You never answered - are you part of the secret backchannel "whine about the conservatives" group on Tweb? I bet they didn't invite you cause they don't think you're as smart as them. )
              Have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you enlighten me. And while you're at it, tell us, if it is secret, how you would know about it.?

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post

With the caveat that I haven't done any research on this report, if it is even half way accurate, it's bad news for Clinton. Democrats count on two major factors - a large turnout and a nearly solid black vote. This cycle has been lackluster to say the least - and that likely will affect turnout. If even part of the normally solid black vote splits the combination could easily be deadly to her campaign.

This late in the cycle, you don't want to see nasty spikes like that - assuming it's real, of course.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Apparently you believe that African Americans are slaves to the democratic party, that they don't think and choose for themselves. They aren't democrats because they are owned by the democratic party CP, they are democrats for the same reason others are democrats, because they choose to be. There are also a few African Americans, as well as many whites, who choose to be republicans. Talking about African Americans as if they were idiots, something you republicans can't seem to understand, is no way to win their support!
                  They vote monolithically Democrat - and that's pretty obviously what CP was getting at. Politically, he's right - it would be a good move to remind the Democrat hierarchy that they cannot take those votes for granted.

And seriously, how do you get this far into left field from what was pretty obviously NOT an offensive statement to begin with?
                  "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    They vote monolithically Democrat - and that's pretty obviously what CP was getting at. Politically, he's right - it would be a good move to remind the Democrat hierarchy that they cannot take those votes for granted.
                    In general both democrats and republicans vote monolithically and they do so because it is what they believe, not because they are slaves or owned by the party and African Americans are no different in this respect than are whites, which is what CP implied.
                    And seriously, how do you get this far into left field from what was pretty obviously NOT an offensive statement to begin with?
                    It doesn't have to be intentionally offensive in order that it be offensive. I realize CP didn't mean or understand the offensive nature of his comments, but it was offensive nonetheless.

Comment

Like I said, you think African Americans are to stupid
                      It's TOO, Jimmy! For the LOVE OF PETE, if you're going to try to pretend to be smart, then LEARN GOODLY ENGRISH!!!!

And, no, I do NOT think African-Americans are to [sic] stupid.... I simply don't think they have presented all the facts.

to make decisions for themselves.
                      I think they have been misled. That does NOT mean they're stupid, as you keep suggesting. I think probably most of them are smarter than you.

Unlike yourself, you think that African Americans are so stupid that they keep falling for the same lies.
                      That's a lie. You keep repeating it -- I do not think they're stupid. Even really smart people can be led to wrong conclusions by manipulators of the truth.

Have no idea what you are talking about. Why don't you enlighten me. And while you're at it, tell us, if it is secret, how you would know about it.?
                      Cause Jaecp keeps bragging about it. I guess they think you're to [sic] stoopid to participate. Forget I said anything, Jimmy - they apparently don't value your opinion. So sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post

He works really hard at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post

Reuters/Ipsos polls show Trump leading Hillary with the independent voters. Pew shows the same.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Apparently you believe that African Americans are slaves to the democratic party, that they don't think and choose for themselves.
                            Typically, not very many people on either side choose for themselves. They will vote for whoever has the D or R by their name.
                            That's what
                            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

In general both democrats and republicans vote monolithically and they do so because it is what they believe, not because they are slaves or owned by the party and African Americans are no different in this respect than are whites, which is what CP implied.

It doesn't have to be intentionally offensive in order that it be offensive. I realize CP didn't mean or understand the offensive nature of his comments, but it was offensive nonetheless.
                              1) Not true - you are comparing parties to voting blocs and it's silly.
                              2) No, he didn't - you just assumed so and went wild from there. He did imply that democrats take that bloc for granted - which they do - and that was what was meant by 'owned'. Had you been willing to give the benefit of the doubt, you'd have realized it yourself.
                              3) Yes, it DOES. Otherwise, you personally are arguing for a type of slavery - enslaving the freedom of speech of others to the whims of the minority. It's a REALLY stupid position to take - because someday, you'll find yourself in the minority. You have every right to take offense at any statement you wish - but you do NOT have the right to tell someone they are doing wrong when they had no such intention and you merely prefer to take offense rather than be tolerant of others.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment