Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Spike in Black support for Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honestly, there needs to be a change in the way Presidential elections are happening. As it stands, there are enough strongly liberal states to almost capture the election outright with the other 23 conservative states not even bothering to be tallied. How can we continue to claim to be a representative republic if half the country's votes don't even matter?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      Honestly, there needs to be a change in the way Presidential elections are happening. As it stands, there are enough strongly liberal states to almost capture the election outright with the other 23 conservative states not even bothering to be tallied. How can we continue to claim to be a representative republic if half the country's votes don't even matter?
      Yup, it becomes a numbers game where candidates know which states they have to work, and others they can pretty much ignore.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Given that the winner of the popular vote usually tracks pretty well with the outcome (one variance in the last 20 election cycles)....
        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Yup, it becomes a numbers game where candidates know which states they have to work, and others they can pretty much ignore.
          It doesn't become a numbers game CP, it is a numbers game, thats how elections work. BtC is just upset about the fact that the democrats have so many more strongly liberal states than republicans have strongly conservative states. In other words ya'll upset because the numbers ain't with ya'll.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
            It doesn't become a numbers game CP, it is a numbers game, thats how elections work. BtC is just upset about the fact that the democrats have so many more strongly liberal states than republicans have strongly conservative states. In other words ya'll upset because the numbers ain't with ya'll.

I'm not upset at all, JimmyLou.... it was just an observation that some states don't get to see much of the candidates because of the way the electoral college numbers add up.

Then, again ---- maybe they're BLESSED!

Bless your heart.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I'm not upset at all, JimmyLou.... it was just an observation that some states don't get to see much of the candidates because of the way the electoral college numbers add up.

Then, again ---- maybe they're BLESSED!

Bless your heart.
              Thats not what BtC was whining about CP, he was whining because he's upset about the fact that in an election the majority wins, thats how democracy works, and to his chagrin, the great majority seems to be going for Hillary. Seems he doesn't understand why strongly liberal states are so strongly liberal, they have a whole lot of liberals living there.
              Last edited by JimL; 08-24-2016, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Given that the winner of the popular vote usually tracks pretty well with the outcome (one variance in the last 20 election cycles)....
                It is true that the winner of the majority of the popular vote not becoming president only happened three times in history, so generally speaking winning the electorate means you won the electoral college. But I feel that the electoral college skews things. California and Texas, which in a popular vote election (or an election system where the electoral college gives proportional votes rather than winner take all, as is actually the case in Maine) would be huge battlegrounds due to their populations, are instead afterthoughts because the majority votes in such states are so dependable to a particular party. If the popular vote was what mattered, we'd see very different tactics from campaigns, such as focusing on those two states, and I wonder to what extent that could alter the popular vote away from providing the same result as the electoral college would have.

Additionally, I speculate there is a fair amount of voter apathy in these kinds of reliably Democratic/reliably Republican states that causes fewer people to vote because they figure their vote can't count due to the electoral college. Knowing that their vote actually could make a difference may cause more people to go out and vote and this could cause different results.

So basically, while it's true that very few presidential elections would have different results if, after votes were taken, they had switched to it being whoever won the popular vote, that's ignoring all of the effects that a popular vote election would have before anyone votes, such as different campaign focuses and different attitudes from the voters.

Comment

Thats not what BtC was whining about CP...
                  He wasn't whining, JimmyLou. And you have repeatedly shown how bad you really suck at mind reading.

Bless your heart.

Comment

Thats not what BtC was whining about CP, he was whining because he's upset about the fact that in an election the majority wins, thats how democracy works, and to his chagrin, the great majority seems to be going for Hillary. Seems he doesn't understand why strongly liberal states are so strongly liberal, they have a whole lot of liberals living there.
                    I made a comment. It wasn't whining. Typical liberal stupidity...
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Careful, Bill, you're triggering - he'll need a safe space.

Comment

I dunno, it's a little unfair to liberals to take JimL as typical.
                        Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Okay, you weren't whining, you were complaining that the majority of the country seems to disagree with you politically.

Comment

Okay, you weren't whining, you were complaining that the majority of the country seems to disagree with you politically.
                            No. I was commenting that the larger population states basically are voting for the Democratic candidate as a rule, and they have made it to where the less populous states are getting little to no say in electing the POTUS. It's what the founders feared would happen, and it's the reason the Electoral College was put in place, to try to reduce the power of the populated states and make the less popular states have a more even say. It certainly helped for the first 150 years, but times have changed and in my opinion, it's time to re-examine the Electoral College.
                            That's what
                            - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment