Christianity Today in the USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mickiel View Post
    Common sense ought to tell you that if your merciful enough not to have a hell, that surely God is. You need to rethink your belief.
    I choose to trust what He has told me, and to trust that He has a better understanding than I do. A number of things God did in the Bible I would not have done, but I recognize that He knows way better than I do.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      I choose to trust what He has told me, and to trust that He has a better understanding than I do. A number of things God did in the Bible I would not have done, but I recognize that He knows way better than I do.
      Can you show me in the bible where God created the Christian version of hell? Or anywhere that God claims to have anything whatsoever to do with it? And if you cannot show me that, explain to me why you then believe in it?

Comment

There are countless verses that point to or mention eternal punishment. While it is needful to ignore all those to make a few verses seem to deny what is explicitly spelled out.

To answer your question specifically - there is no mention of the creation or making of hell. I believe it because of the multitude of mentions of eternal separation from God, and a paucity of suggestions that all will be equally saved (none that I know of.) There is no where a single clear statement that all men will end up in heaven. The few you have mentioned appear to be misinterpretations on your part.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Edited by a Moderator
          Last edited by Bill the Cat; 06-12-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Many posts have been made to support the idea. Lots of verses have been cited. True there is not single place that says if you do not accept Jesus Christ you will go to eternal punishment in hell. There is also no clear verse that says that in the end everyone will go to heaven. Studying the whole of the Bible I find that I can not reject the concept. You reject it based on what seems to me to be rather esoteric understanding of some verses pulled out of context.

If we are just going to continue to argue about is there or is there not eternal separation from God, I am not interested. I thought we were going to discuss Christianity in America Today - do Christians want people to go to hell or not. I agreed there may well be, nay are, some nominal Christians (I would call tares) who take that tack. The most do not in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
              Many posts have been made to support the idea. Lots of verses have been cited. True there is not single place that says if you do not accept Jesus Christ you will go to eternal punishment in hell. There is also no clear verse that says that in the end everyone will go to heaven. Studying the whole of the Bible I find that I can not reject the concept. You reject it based on what seems to me to be rather esoteric understanding of some verses pulled out of context.

If we are just going to continue to argue about is there or is there not eternal separation from God, I am not interested. I thought we were going to discuss Christianity in America Today - do Christians want people to go to hell or not. I agreed there may well be, nay are, some nominal Christians (I would call tares) who take that tack. The most do not in my experience.

If you hold no interest, then go in peace. I am not interested in limiting the discussion.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X