Thread: The wonders of human development- NO DEBATES, PLEASE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The wonders of human development- NO DEBATES, PLEASE!

So, we know a lot more about how a baby grows in it's mother's womb than the ancient Hebrews, but I wouldn't claim that we know everything there is to know about human development. What are some new discoveries/theories about human development? I don't want any debates and I am looking at this from a theistic perspective in that I believe God is ultimately responsible for creating the process in some manner.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    http://www.environmentalhealthnews.o...nked-to-autism

Acetaminophen during pregnancy linked to autism

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    But fevers can be bad also.... So, if the mother gets sick, that can affect her baby for life! Possibly. It's amazing how fast those babies develop in nine months. And the first three years after birth are vital for the amount of changes also. It is amazing! Yes, I have young nieces and it's amazing to see how much they change.

Faith
    MYOB
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    We actually don't know a ton about human development, given that it's not a system we can experiment on. But we do know a fair bit about vertebrate development through the use of various model systems. The mouse, which has excellent genetics, is the primary model. But chickens are also useful, since you can manipulate the embryo while it's still in the egg, then seal up the egg and let it develop for several days more.

The thing that's impressed me from this work is how important history is. In the system i know best from my own work, a class of signaling protein first tells certain cells to become precursors of nerve cells. The proteins remains expressed on the edge of the developing spinal cord, and from there tells the top third of the neural precursor population to have a distinct identity from the remainder of the cells. Then, different thresholds of the proteins divide the top third into four distinct populations, each of which go on to produce different specialized nerve cells. Once these specialized nerve cells form, they respond to the same signal by migrating away from it.

So, having a history of seeing these signaling proteins helps the same cell population to respond differently to them than the rest of the cells in the developing spinal cord. We know something about the regulatory mechanisms that cause this to take place, but there's a lot of details still to be left out.

We also know a fair bit about the evolutionary logic of how that came about - i can go into that if the thread owner feels that this wouldn't violate the "no debates" rule.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLurch View Post
    We actually don't know a ton about human development, given that it's not a system we can experiment on. But we do know a fair bit about vertebrate development through the use of various model systems. The mouse, which has excellent genetics, is the primary model. But chickens are also useful, since you can manipulate the embryo while it's still in the egg, then seal up the egg and let it develop for several days more.

The thing that's impressed me from this work is how important history is. In the system i know best from my own work, a class of signaling protein first tells certain cells to become precursors of nerve cells. The proteins remains expressed on the edge of the developing spinal cord, and from there tells the top third of the neural precursor population to have a distinct identity from the remainder of the cells. Then, different thresholds of the proteins divide the top third into four distinct populations, each of which go on to produce different specialized nerve cells. Once these specialized nerve cells form, they respond to the same signal by migrating away from it.

So, having a history of seeing these signaling proteins helps the same cell population to respond differently to them than the rest of the cells in the developing spinal cord. We know something about the regulatory mechanisms that cause this to take place, but there's a lot of details still to be left out.

We also know a fair bit about the evolutionary logic of how that came about - i can go into that if the thread owner feels that this wouldn't violate the "no debates" rule.
    I'd be interested just to know, if it's acceptable (you won't get any debates out of me over it at least )
    Jorge's trueorigins paper: "...it is known that other volcanic features match what is usually associated with impact craters including ... shatter cones and crystal deformations"

Planetary Science Institute: "Shatter cones are found in only two places on Earth, 1) in nuclear test sites and 2) meteorite impact structures. They are formed as a result of the high pressure, high velocity shock wave ...

maximum pressures from 45 to 200 times greater than found in volcanic events (2->20 Gpa)

6. Amen rwatts amen'd this post.
    Professor and Chaplain Littlejoe's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Moderated By: Littlejoe

Moving to a more appropriate (Non Debate) Forum

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

"What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Okay! It is amazing how fast children grow and change. And, yet, it takes over a decade for our species to reach reproductive maturity and two to three decades for cognitive maturity. We are complex.