Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Libertarian ticket...isn't very Libertarian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Libertarian ticket...isn't very Libertarian?

source

Source: The Daily Wire

Libertarians had a golden opportunity in the 2016 election to give Americans a viable third-party option in light of the widespread unpopularity of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton. All they had to do was nominate an actual libertarian ticket, but the Gary Johnson-Bill Weld ticket fails to meet that standard. Here are seven reasons the libertarian ticket isn't very libertarian.

1. Weld thinks that a rifle can become "a weapon of mass destruction." Weld said during an interview with Revolt: "The five shot rifle, that’s a standard military rifle; the problem is if you attach a clip to it so it can fire more shells and if you remove the pin so that it becomes an automatic weapon, and those are independent criminal offenses. That is when they become, essentially a weapon of mass destruction." He also said that "the problem with handguns probably is even worse than the problem of the AR-15" and called for banning those on the terror watch list from owning guns.

2. Johnson openly scorns religious liberty and freedom of association.

3. The debt increased massively during Johnson's tenure as governor of New Mexico. [despite Johnson's claims of always balancing the budget]

4. Weld supports eminent domain.

5. Weld backstabbed the Libertarian Party in New York when the going got tough.

6. Johnson wants to fund the baby-dismembering Planned Parenthood.

7. Weld seems to throw-in with the left-wing environmentalist movement.

© Copyright Original Source

Last edited by One Bad Pig; 08-24-2016, 01:33 PM.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

uh oh. Just wait till Caryn gets here. You in trouble now, piggie.

Comment

I think she'll concede that at least some of these positions aren't exactly minarchist, but overall the ticket is better than either mainstream alternative.

I'm not sure myself what #5 has to do with Libertarianism.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

#8 - Johnson looks like a hobbit.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I've also heard that he has the charisma of a dead fish, but some Libertarians think of that as a virtue.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            I've also heard that he has the charisma of a dead fish, but some Libertarians think of that as a virtue.
            Understandable after 8 years of "Captain Cool." A lot of folks are looking for someone who can actually accomplish things (although whether Johnson could is debatable) rather than merely look good doing nothing. Not long after I first moved to Georgia there was an election for the Democrat nomination to be governor between the flamboyant Lt. Governor and former Governor Lester Maddox and George Busbee who was about as charismatic as a wash cloth. Busby campaigned under the slogan "a workhorse, not a showhorse." Busbee smoked Maddox 60 to 40%.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I consider myself firmly a libertarian (with a small 'l'), but it's for some of these reasons that I'm really starting to think I simply won't vote at all, in November. I haven't decided yet.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Being he's roughly 6' tall he must have swilled a barrel of Ent-draught.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I still think Jill is cuter'n Hillary, and smarter than the boys.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment