Announcement

Collapse

The Pulpit Guidelines

This is the place for quiet meditations and reflections. No debate is permitted, and we ask that the fact that this is a Christian-owned site be respected in that the majority of the spiritual reflections expressed here will be Christian in perspective. We ask that mediations that are blatantly unorthodox or contrary to Christianity not be posted. Respectful interaction and posting by those of other beliefs is permitted. Moderators are given wide discretion and latitude as to the appropriateness of posts in this area.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

My Journey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Journey.

Hello. By this point some of you have met my acquaintance. It has been quite the journey these past months. I would say I first heard of Christianity as a child and at the time I found it nonsensical. Not because of matters dealing with theology but because of the many hypocrisles I saw. Growing up I also took up a misplaced pride in being Jewish. I suppose I did so as I tried to figure out who I was as a person. I teased Christians. I saw themy as fools at best and lying hypocrites at worse. Of course I never won any argument I ever had with a Christian. It was a long time before I would think again of Christianity. This time I was to look at it in a classroom setting. I figured I would hate the class that it would be a blowout. That they wouldn't stand up to my criticisms. To my shock I couldn't come up with any criticisms. Questions yes but I couldn't bring myself to disrespect my teacher. The irrational contempt I had slowly peeled away, When it came time to learn about the new testament I found myself aggravated. I tried desperately to rationalize away Christianity. That didn't happen. Instead a couple of things contrary to that happened. My fear of death was revisited at the passing of my great grandfather. A good Christian man. He and my grandparents were perhaps the only Christians I never made the mistake of challenging their faith twice. I remember once telling my grandmother that Jesus never existed. She pulled out a copy of Josephus. We didn't read it but she told me about what was inside. I never then accepted the idea Jesus didn't exist. Instead I figured he was an apostate or a collage of myths. I learned quickly in new testament as well as from old testamentioned history at University that this was a preposterous position. Now atheism I found ridiculous. Their was to much that seemed designed for their to be no God. Still my concept of God was rather weak. As I reread the old testament in class and as the gospel was read to us I began to deeply introspective. Did God love Humanity? Was God truly all Powerful? Was the trinity Possible? Could Jesus be telling the Truth? These questions bubbled inside me. I woke up one day in a cold sweat and found the answer. I felt sick. As if something was eating me. A swarm of bugs gnawing at my insides. It was then I heard a question. What are you doing with your Life? I was scared. In that time I tried to find anything that would cement Jesus as not being the Messiah. However as I read I found the opposite. I found clear evidence of old testament fulfillment. I saw the truth and I prayed. I felt something then. Faint. I felt safe. I let go of grudges, forgave those who hurt me, I found a new interest in the bible. I always enjoyed new and old testament history class but now I saw it as truly incredible. I told the class some time in January I believed in Christ. I cried then. I feLtd alive. I grew slowly from there. My grandparents were overjoyed. Around that time I found Mr Holding and WLC. I was fascinated. I came to see myself in a new light. I got rid of some sinful habits easily. Others I struggle with but I am no longer a slave to. I still have much to learn. Much growing to do. It hasn't always been easy. Many have scoffed and derided me. I find in many ways my story is familiar. Joy Lewis had similar experiences. I hope to one day be baptized. To go to church with others around my age. To grow not only as a person, but a person in Christ.
    I tell you as someone who was once angry and confused the answer is in the gospel. The things that are confusing do have answers. That faith is not blind but firmly cemented in facts. That God does love us and that he is not cruel or just some force. My hope is that this may touch my elder peers who are with me in faith. To remind them that at one point we were all at some points novices in our faith. Yet I also hope it may reinvigorate.
    I have much to learn. Much I hope to do. I know however that my faith has saved me.
    This is my journey.
    Godspeed.
    TheWall.
    sigpic

Thank you for sharing your story with us, little brother. Your experiences may make a difference to others who have had the same questions and are on the same journey.

I hope that your family in Christ here and in your life outside this site will help you grow, and grow along with you.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Thank you mossy.
      sigpic

Comment

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I read some of 2 thesselonians today. Good stuff. I also am reading some apologetics.
          Mere Christianity.
          Screw tape.
          Andy Bannister.
          I would love to talk about these kinds of things.
          sigpic

Comment

Welcome Wall, I love Mere Christianity, may I also suggest the "Problem of Pain" by Lewis, and "Knowledge of the Holy" by Tozer.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I highly recommend Orthodoxy by G. K. Chesterton.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                I read that 25 years ago! I just reordered it...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                  Hello. By this point some of you have met my acquaintance. It has been quite the journey these past months. I would say I first heard of Christianity as a child and at the time I found it nonsensical. Not because of matters dealing with theology but because of the many hypocrisles I saw. Growing up I also took up a misplaced pride in being Jewish. I suppose I did so as I tried to figure out who I was as a person. I teased Christians. I saw themy as fools at best and lying hypocrites at worse. Of course I never won any argument I ever had with a Christian. It was a long time before I would think again of Christianity. This time I was to look at it in a classroom setting. I figured I would hate the class that it would be a blowout. That they wouldn't stand up to my criticisms. To my shock I couldn't come up with any criticisms. Questions yes but I couldn't bring myself to disrespect my teacher. The irrational contempt I had slowly peeled away, When it came time to learn about the new testament I found myself aggravated. I tried desperately to rationalize away Christianity. That didn't happen. Instead a couple of things contrary to that happened. My fear of death was revisited at the passing of my great grandfather. A good Christian man. He and my grandparents were perhaps the only Christians I never made the mistake of challenging their faith twice. I remember once telling my grandmother that Jesus never existed. She pulled out a copy of Josephus. We didn't read it but she told me about what was inside. I never then accepted the idea Jesus didn't exist. Instead I figured he was an apostate or a collage of myths. I learned quickly in new testament as well as from old testamentioned history at University that this was a preposterous position. Now atheism I found ridiculous. Their was to much that seemed designed for their to be no God. Still my concept of God was rather weak. As I reread the old testament in class and as the gospel was read to us I began to deeply introspective. Did God love Humanity? Was God truly all Powerful? Was the trinity Possible? Could Jesus be telling the Truth? These questions bubbled inside me. I woke up one day in a cold sweat and found the answer. I felt sick. As if something was eating me. A swarm of bugs gnawing at my insides. It was then I heard a question. What are you doing with your Life? I was scared. In that time I tried to find anything that would cement Jesus as not being the Messiah. However as I read I found the opposite. I found clear evidence of old testament fulfillment. I saw the truth and I prayed. I felt something then. Faint. I felt safe. I let go of grudges, forgave those who hurt me, I found a new interest in the bible. I always enjoyed new and old testament history class but now I saw it as truly incredible. I told the class some time in January I believed in Christ. I cried then. I feLtd alive. I grew slowly from there. My grandparents were overjoyed. Around that time I found Mr Holding and WLC. I was fascinated. I came to see myself in a new light. I got rid of some sinful habits easily. Others I struggle with but I am no longer a slave to. I still have much to learn. Much growing to do. It hasn't always been easy. Many have scoffed and derided me. I find in many ways my story is familiar. Joy Lewis had similar experiences. I hope to one day be baptized. To go to church with others around my age. To grow not only as a person, but a person in Christ.
                  I tell you as someone who was once angry and confused the answer is in the gospel. The things that are confusing do have answers. That faith is not blind but firmly cemented in facts. That God does love us and that he is not cruel or just some force. My hope is that this may touch my elder peers who are with me in faith. To remind them that at one point we were all at some points novices in our faith. Yet I also hope it may reinvigorate.
                  I have much to learn. Much I hope to do. I know however that my faith has saved me.
                  This is my journey.
                  Godspeed.
                  TheWall.
                  Two words, brother: para graphs

Makes it easier for us old people to read.

Meanwhile, you need to find a Bible study group or "small group" or some other type of CHRISTIAN support group, maybe at a local Church, but fellowship is crucial. Reading is great, Scripture is awesome, but God didn't intend us to be on our journey alone, or by correspondence.

Think about how Jesus taught the disciples --- not just a classroom environment, but they walked together, ate together, experienced life together.... The journey shouldn't be solo.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cowpoke I hope one day that I may experience what you speak of.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      Excellent choice

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This Chesterton guy must be quite the christian apologist.
                        sigpic

Comment

This Chesterton guy must be quite the christian apologist.
                          Well, he came to Christianity by way of reading all the atheist literature he could get his hands on (as detailed in the recommended book). He was also no slouch at writing fiction (the Father Brown stories).
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Cowpoke I hope one day that I may experience what you speak of.
                            Keep walking in the light, brother! Surround yourself with people who are walking the walk.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do have my grandparents.
                              I also have you guys.
                              sigpic

Comment