Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Stop White People at Binghamton University?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop White People at Binghamton University?

"StopWhitePeople" Training Course Offered to College’s Resident Assistants

The taxpayer-funded State University of New York at Binghamton offered a training course to student resident assistants titled #StopWhitePeople2K16 — and the backlash has been fierce. A school newspaper, the Binghamton Review, included an image of the course title and description in its report:

RA-stopwhitepeople2k16.jpg

“The premise of this session is to help others take the next step in understanding diversity, privilege, and the society we function within,” the description of the training reads. “Learning about these topics is a good first step, but when encountered with ‘good’ arguments from uneducated people, how do you respond? This open discussion will give attendees the tools to do so, and hopefully expand upon what they already may know.”

The #StopWhitePeople2K16 training was facilitated by three student resident assistants. RAs typically live on residence hall floors with students and help them adjust to college life. Since word spread about the course, reactions have been strong — decidedly in opposition to it, along with plenty of accusations of racism. Here are some from the Binghamton Review’s Facebook page:

"Just waiting for the Kill white people quickly and easily classes to be advertised.”
    “Typical liberal hypocrite BS … Hopefully there will be some people with b***s to call this out for what it is. Racism at its lowest.”
    “This is racist and disgusting. I’m ashamed that this is happening in the city I live in. Who wants to protest?!”
    “Looks like it’s time to defund SUNY.”
    “Can’t believe this racist liberal cesspool is somehow running. All organizers should apologize and immediately be fired. Ridiculous racism.”
    “This is actually appalling.”
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

This may be the biggest lying full-of-crap speech Obama has ever made....

He is a chief enabler of the racist jackassery going on in our Country today.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Ya know, anybody with half a brain should be able to do a simple test for racism... simply replace the word "White" with "Black" and see if it causes concern....
      "StopBlackPeople" Training Course Offered to College’s Resident Assistants

Yeah, Obama would be on the phone with Loretta Lynch in a heartbeat!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

While diversity stuff is usually right up my alley, it seems someone here decided on an intentionally provoking class title. The content though... "good" argument... doesn't leave me with much confidence that this was a good class on the issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
          While diversity stuff is usually right up my alley, it seems someone here decided on an intentionally provoking class title.
          The point was almost certainly to make a provocative title just to get attention. So when people get all hot and bothered about it, they're actually doing exactly what the people who made it wanted.

Of course, doing this sort of thing is always a bit of a gamble, because you have a chance of overshooting and being so controversial that you end up getting the thing shut down.

Comment

While diversity stuff is usually right up my alley, it seems someone here decided on an intentionally provoking class title. The content though... "good" argument... doesn't leave me with much confidence that this was a good class on the issues.
            No Leonhard, the course title is racist - period. Like CP said, if the course was titled "StopBlackPeople" don't you think heads would roll? People fired?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

All it does is heighten racial tension. It's not about encouraging honest dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                The point was almost certainly to make a provocative title just to get attention. So when people get all hot and bothered about it, they're actually doing exactly what the people who made it wanted.
                I don't think anybody here is getting "hot and bothered" about it, if that's what you were implying. I think we're simply pointing out the utter hypocrisy.

Of course, doing this sort of thing is always a bit of a gamble, because you have a chance of overshooting and being so controversial that you end up getting the thing shut down.
                There is an element, as even Houston's New Black Panther Party leader Quannel X has pointed out, of "let's start a race war" in some of the "freedom of expression" coming from blacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  All it does is heighten racial tension. It's not about encouraging honest dialogue.
                  I'm dubious about the content of this particular class, and I agree with you with the title. You won't get me to dislike all diversity and racial issue classes though.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    No Leonhard, the course title is racist - period. Like CP said, if the course was titled "StopBlackPeople" don't you think heads would roll? People fired?
                    I never said the title wasn't racist. And no I don't expect or want anyone to be fired.

Comment

I'm dubious about the content of this particular class, and I agree with you with the title. You won't get me to dislike all diversity and racial issue classes though.
                      There needs to be at least a HINT that they either intend to cover factual information from a historic point of view, or are making a reasonable attempt to make things better.

Comment

Even if it was done just to garner attention for the class, it was done in poor taste. Very poor taste.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I don't think anybody here is getting "hot and bothered" about it, if that's what you were implying. I think we're simply pointing out the utter hypocrisy.
                          Silly cow poker. Dontcha know that bringing it up means that you're hot and bothered about it?
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Silly cow poker. Dontcha know that bringing it up means that you're hot and bothered about it?
                            Now THAT makes me mad!!!!! There ain't a whole lot of stuff that makes me mad, but THAT makes me mad!!!!!

oh, wait....

nevermind

Comment

What about diversity classes for paranoids?

Oh, yeah, right - you're ALL out to get us now!!!!

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment