The Narrow Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Narrow Door

strive to enter the narrow door? Are there any other interpretations that fit this passage better or that align better with Scripture?
    Last edited by Paula; 08-26-2016, 09:47 PM.

Jesus did not directly answer the question of how many would be save but turned the question around: Regardless of how many are saved, strive to make sure you are saved. According to Leon Morris's commentary on Luke, at that time, many people thought almost everybody would be saved:
    But it seems to have been firmly held that all Israel would be saved, except for a few blatant sinners who excluded themselves (Sanhedrin 10:1)
    He draws a parallel to popular religion today where people assume that almost everybody goes to heaven.

Darrell Bock's Luke commentary suggests that some of the people listening might think they would be okay because they had personally associated with Jesus, but that this would not be enough - that they must actually accept the gospel on Jesus's terms. He goes on to say:
    . In today's context the warning of this passage might be that those who are first (who have exposure to Christ through attendance at the church) may turn out to be last (excluded from blessing) if they do not come personally through the door by personally receiving what Jesus offers.
    Last edited by KingsGambit; 08-26-2016, 10:30 PM. Reason: bolded the wrong word
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Last edited by Obsidian; 08-26-2016, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        Jesus did not directly answer the question of how many would be save but turned the question around: Regardless of how many are saved, strive to make sure you are saved. According to Leon Morris's commentary on Luke, at that time, many people thought almost everybody would be saved: He draws a parallel to popular religion today where people assume that almost everybody goes to heaven.

This is similar to Craig Keener's notes in his Bible Background Commentary. The "two ways" teaching was common in ancient literature. Most Jews of that time believed that virtually all Israel would be saved, and that only rare individuals would be excluded. The idea that only "few" were on the right path was relatively rare, found in 4 Ezra and among Christians and Essenes.

The citation of the Matthean parallel is worthwhile, as it does not include the problematic "strive" term, and because the context is much different. There, it could be taken as an isolated "saying," or it could be at least loosely linked to the "Golden Rule" which preceded it, and the test of true and false prophets which followed it.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

"Strive" just means that it is difficult to see the true path due to all the confusion caused by the false prophets (the "workers of iniquity" in Luke 13:27).

Comment

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself

Source: (1) https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Luke+13

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
              "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself

Source: (1) https://net.bible.org/#!bible/Luke+13
              And that kind of fits the Matthean context that places it right after "Treat others as you wish others to treat you."

The problem, as Paula noted, is that it seems to make salvation contingent on doing the "work" of loving others. If we are to take that prima facie reading as correct, then it is inconsistent with other passages that present salvation as being given by grace through faith, apart from "love" or any other "work," with acts of love then following and demonstrating salvation.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                And that kind of fits the Matthean context that places it right after "Treat others as you wish others to treat you."

The problem, as Paula noted, is that it seems to make salvation contingent on doing the "work" of loving others. If we are to take that prima facie reading as correct, then it is inconsistent with other passages that present salvation as being given by grace through faith, apart from "love" or any other "work," with acts of love then following and demonstrating salvation.
                I don't see an inconsistency because I think scripture teaches that the nature of saving faith is not an idle faith, rather, genuine Christian faith is inherently a "striving" faith. James 2, for example, differentiates between a genuine, saving faith and a counterfeit, dead faith. Here in Luke 13 I see Jesus admonishing his followers to fan into flame their profession of faith as they live their lives with the goal of the kingdom in view.

Comment

If getting saved actually required hard work, then he wouldn't have used a metaphor of doing something easy -- walking through a door. The only thing hard about getting saved is that false prophets spread confusion about it. That is, it can be hard for some people to find the correct door.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrawly View Post
                    I don't see an inconsistency because I think scripture teaches that the nature of saving faith is not an idle faith, rather, genuine Christian faith is inherently a "striving" faith. James 2, for example, differentiates between a genuine, saving faith and a counterfeit, dead faith. Here in Luke 13 I see Jesus admonishing his followers to fan into flame their profession of faith as they live their lives with the goal of the kingdom in view.
                    I can't quite agree with your assessment. I guess I'd have to say this is one of several places where Scripture is less than clear and consistent.

I agree that faith is not merely passive, since it is a covenant-relationship type of word, and, for instance, Paul likens it to a "fight" in 1 Tim. 6. But to say we must "strive" or "struggle" to be saved seems to run counter to the invitation to find "rest" for our souls (Matt. 11), and to the fact that the only "work" needed to obtain eternal life is "believing" (John 6).

Further, I see James as saying that those "works" that he touts -- acts of love, mercy, justice -- are evidences that we are already genuinely saved, not things that secure our place.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd
                      I can't quite agree with your assessment. I guess I'd have to say this is one of several places where Scripture is less than clear and consistent.
                      It's consistent, and it's even rather clear. Striving to enter the narrow gate means not overlooking it. People miss the narrow gate not because they are unwilling to do the hard work of loving their neighbor, but because they are unaware even of the narrow gate's existence. Jesus comes right out and explains why people miss the narrow gate: "[B]ecause strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it." (Matthew 7:14).

The people in works salvationism have been misled by the multitude and they overlook the narrow gate. They need to strive to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I agree that faith is not merely passive, since it is a covenant-relationship type of word, and, for instance, Paul likens it to a "fight" in 1 Tim. 6. But to say we must "strive" or "struggle" to be saved seems to run counter to the invitation to find "rest" for our souls (Matt. 11), and to the fact that the only "work" needed to obtain eternal life is "believing" (John 6).
                        1) In regards to Matt. 11, the born-again individual will absolutely find rest for their soul in Christ, in fact, their soul will never be at rest until they abide in Christ alone. Yet, we are called to "strive", if you will, against our fleshly desires, to put to death evil deeds, and to fight the good fight of faith. We struggle and strive not to get saved, but precisely because we are saved

2) John 6:26 Do not work for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to eternal life

I agree that the only work needed to obtain salvation is belief in Christ, however, if our faith remains a matter of mere intellectual ascent, then I think it becomes quite apparent that we don't actually believe at all. If we believe on the basis of mere ascent, then it seems there will be no striving to love God with all our being, etc. and it becomes rather clear that we have failed to genuinely place our trust in Christ alone, and are operating out of human resources, "working for food that perishes".

Further, I see James as saying that those "works" that he touts -- acts of love, mercy, justice -- are evidences that we are already genuinely saved, not things that secure our place.
                        James 2:14

Can you highlight for me the verses that support your viewpoint?
                        Last edited by Scrawly; 08-27-2016, 11:15 PM.

Comment

James 2 is talking about temporal judgment for someone who has "the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ." It's not talking about a pretend Christian, but a real one who sins.

James 2:1-14
                          My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. . . . [I]f ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors. . . . So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty. For he shall have judgment without mercy, that hath shewed no mercy; and mercy rejoiceth against judgment. What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

James 3:1
                          My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

James 5:9
                          Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door.
                          Last edited by Obsidian; 08-27-2016, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paula View Post
                            strive to enter the narrow door? Are there any other interpretations that fit this passage better or that align better with Scripture?
                            I think we need to remember that Jesus was speaking to Jews who were keeping the Law (or at least thought they were) Who is righteous and has fulfilled the Law? Only Jesus. He is the door and if we are to enter it will be through Him. Jesus was telling them if they thought they were going to reach heaven on their own efforts then the odds were against them.

Comment