Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Kaepernick Refuses to Stand For National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt this would trigger a morality clause. Those generally are supposed to be for things like breaking the law, not for exercising his first amendment rights in a non criminal fashion.

Not that I see this as serious in the first place. Oh no, a professional athlete has opinions? How will we survive without the QB of one of California's 3 football teams standing for the pledge of allegiance?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaecp View Post
      I doubt this would trigger a morality clause.
      Me too, but I've seen some pretty strict ones with the Houston Astros.

Those generally are supposed to be for things like breaking the law, not for exercising his first amendment rights in a non criminal fashion.
      In the Tom Landry / Dallas Cowboys days, they were, indeed, for focusing on unity in Team play, and for discouraging the use of "the Cowboys uniform" to express unpopular beliefs.

Not that I see this as serious in the first place. Oh no, a professional athlete has opinions? How will we survive without the QB of one of California's 3 football teams standing for the pledge of allegiance?
      Like I said, I really don't care much one way or the other.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Freedom of speech = aacceptance of consequences.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Sounds like they're looking for a good excuse to drop a hot potato without admitting it's a hot potato.
          I would say it's more likely that he figured he was probably on his way out so why not take the opportunity to do something like this if you want to? If you get in trouble, well, you were on your way out anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            I would say it's more likely that he figured he was probably on his way out so why not take the opportunity to do something like this if you want to? If you get in trouble, well, you were on your way out anyway.
            That makes sense.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

He really put himself in a bind

Now he either has to keep on sitting out the National Anthem every time and pissing people off over and over, or apologize for being a jerk and tell everyone what a tool he was

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Colin Kaepernick refuses to stand for national anthem to protest police killings

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lice-killings/
                Yeah, and that guy lost his legs so Kaepernick has the freedom to protest as he wishes. I don't know about you, but I'm glad to live in a country where even protesting can itself be a show of respect for our country and the history of protest that's made it what it is today. Paying respect isn't about self-righteousness; it's not a measuring stick to be used to show the next guy just how much more you love America than him. It's as ridiculous as that stupid flag pin nonsense from the last cycle.

Comment

The part of Kaepernick's after-interview that the media just ignored...

You have Hillary who has called black teens or black kids super predators, you have Donald Trump who’s openly racist. We have a presidential candidate who has deleted emails and done things illegally and is a presidential candidate. That doesn’t make sense to me because if that was any other person you’d be in prison. So, what is this country really standing for?
                  Instead, the media has everyone focused on the racial angle, totally ignoring anything he said about Hillary. Rest assured, had he focused on Trump only, that would have been a headline bonanza. I just find that kind of funny how that always works out.

Comment

Originally posted by HumbleThinker View Post
                    Yeah, and that guy lost his legs so Kaepernick has the freedom to protest as he wishes. I don't know about you, but I'm glad to live in a country where even protesting can itself be a show of respect for our country and the history of protest that's made it what it is today. Paying respect isn't about self-righteousness; it's not a measuring stick to be used to show the next guy just how much more you love America than him. It's as ridiculous as that stupid flag pin nonsense from the last cycle.
                    I also think it's inappropriate to use a picture of a disabled veteran for an unrelated political Facebook meme.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                      I also think it's inappropriate to use a picture of a disabled veteran for an unrelated political Facebook meme.
                      Why? I think it is perfectly appropriate to show why an ignorant, privileged quarter back has the freedom to say and do stupid things - because of men like that wounded Marine.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

14095826_10154516663172612_1283066974626092591_n.jpg
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Ideally, people would be more upset by what Kaepernick is protesting than his means of doing so.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Ideally, people would be more upset by what Kaepernick is protesting than his means of doing so.
                            I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              You know what? At this point in time, I would have a hard time standing up and singing the national anthem of my own country, because of the direction the leadership is taking. I am ashamed to be a Canadian right now, and equally ashamed to be a citizen of my own province.

My reasons may be different than those of Kaepernick, but I guess he, and I, have the right to object in this way.
                              I've been meaning to ask you about this mossrose- is there a thread somewhere where you expand upon the ills of your country further?

I ask because Canada and its prime minister is largely viewed positively over here, but to be honest with the goings on in the US elections at the moment there's not much in the way of articles posted about Canada in general.

Is there a news site somewhere where I can find out more?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                                It's both for me.
                                That's what
                                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment