Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Timeline question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faber
    The crescent moon was only 22 hours past conjunction with the sun at sunset on Thursday, March 23, AD 30 (proleptic Julian calendar). This would be barely visible with the naked eye, even by a trained observer. According to an abstract by Mohammad Ilyas entitled “The Danjon Limit of Lunar Visibility: A Re-examination (Journal of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, 1983. Vol. 77, p. 21), a minimum elongation of ~10.5º from the sun is necessary, or a minimum of 20.6 hours. Even weather permitting, it would be highly improbably that two witnesses would have been able to observe the crescent and report it to the sanhedrin, as was required to corfirm the beginning of the month Nisan. Therefore 1 Nisan probably took place at sunset, Friday, March 24. The Passover sacrifices would have taken place on Friday, and the meal after sunset Friday night, the beginning of the Sabbath. The Passover sabbath would have coincided with the weekly sabbath that year.
    Even assuming this is correct, we don't really know what year it happened, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
      Even assuming this is correct, we don't really know what year it happened, anyway.
      since the church has always claimed he died on a Friday, even before there was a Catholic church, and they were closer to the event than we were, I am going to continue to believe they knew what they were talking about and he died on a Friday and rose on Sunday. Any speculation contrary is just speculation. Also I heard it was in AD33 because of the eclipse http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q867.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        since the church has always claimed he died on a Friday, even before there was a Catholic church, and they were closer to the event than we were, I am going to continue to believe they knew what they were talking about and he died on a Friday and rose on Sunday. Any speculation contrary is just speculation. Also I heard it was in AD33 because of the eclipse http://www.astronomycafe.net/qadir/q867.html
        What do you do with Luke 24: And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place. 22 In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning

Comment

See my first post in the thread

Comment

I am getting infusions at the hospital for inflammation

Today is the third day
            They started on Tuesday
            Tuesday Wednesday Thursday- 3 days

Jesus crucified on Friday and rose on Sunday
            Friday Saturday Sunday- 3 days

Comment

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
              Luke's Gospel sets the timing of the beginning of the ministry of John the Baptist:

Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, and Herod was tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip was tetrarch of the region of Ituraea and Trachonitis, and Lysanias was tetrarch of Abilene, in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. (Luke 3:1-, NASB)
              Tiberius became emperor in August, 14 AD, following the death of his father, Augustus. If we go by Roman calendar years, his fifteenth year would be 28 AD.

In John 2:13-21, when Jesus spoke about destroying the temple and rebuilding it in three days, the Jews remarked, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?"

Herod the Great became king in 37 BC, and began construction of the temple in his 18th year (Josephus, Antiquities, xv.11.1), or 19 BC. The 46th year of construction would be AD 28. That agrees with Luke's dating.

Matthew, Mark and Luke mention only one Passover during Jesus’ ministry: the year when Jesus was crucified. John’s Gospel mentions three Passover holidays during the ministry of Jesus: at the beginning (John 2:13), one time in which He did not journey to Jerusalem (John 6:4) and the one in which He was crucified. If there were no other Passovers that were not mentioned, then the crucifixion would have taken place on Passover, AD 30, which agrees with the traditionally held year.

Originally posted by seanD View Post
              They didn't need that amount of time. They didn't need witnesses because, according to them, they heard the blasphemy straight from his own lips (Mark 14:60-65).
              The witnesses were thoroughly vetted by the lawyers. They had to be in perfect agreement, even down to the smallest details. In order to do that, the lawyers asked a barrage of questions.

The first set of questions known as the Hakiroth, were of a general nature. There were seven questions: During which set of seven years (a sabbatical week) was the crime committed? Which year of that week? Which month of that year? Which date of that month? What day of the week? What hour? At what place? The second set of questions, known as Bedikoth, were more intensive: In the case of Jesus, the witnesses could have been asked what He said, what He did. What exactly did He teach that was blasphemous? What specific act did He do in violation of the Sabbath? The witnesses were not questioned in the presence of other witnesses, lest there be any collusion. If the witnesses could not remember, or if they disagreed on any of the questions, their testimony was dismissed. And the lawyers considered themselves praiseworthy if they had a reputation for exhaustive cross-examination. The witnesses were asked if they knew the person, and if they gave him warning.

As for how much time it took for the events from the trial of Jesus to his crucifixion, consider the following If we hold to a traditional Thursday night seder, then this is the order in which the events on Friday morning took place:
              ∙ Early in the morning, after the morning Tamid sacrifice, the Sanhedrin took counsel to deliver Jesus to Pilate. The Tamid ceremony began at sunrise and lasted an hour. This is around 7 AM local time.
              ∙ Early in the morning, Jesus was taken to the Hall of Judgment to be tried by Pilate. The Jews addressed Pilate outside the Hall of Judgment because they felt that entering the chambers of a gentile would disqualify them from observing the Passover.
              ∙ Pilate questioned Jesus inside the Hall of Judgment; found no fault in Jesus.
              ∙ Pilate returned to the Sanhedrin outside the Hall of Judgment. Pilate learned that Jesus was from Galilee, sent Jesus to Herod Antipas.
              ∙ Herod Antipas questioned Jesus; chief priests accused Him before Herod. Herod’s guards mocked Jesus; Jesus was sent back to Pilate.
              ∙ Pilate summoned the rulers, offered to release Jesus; They wanted Barabbas released instead. They demanded that Jesus be crucified. Pilate submitted to their demand.
              ∙ Jesus was scourged, then taken to the Praetorium where He was mocked by the Roman soldiers.
              ∙ Either Jesus or Simon of Cyrene was forced to carry Jesus’s cross. Tradition states that Simon was forced to drag the cross after Jesus was no longer able. Not knowing the place of origin, and debating the actual location of Calvary (Cranion, or Golgotha), we can only estimate that somebody dragged a three-hundred-pound cross for the length of one or two thousand feet. The soldiers took Him to Golgotha, outside the gates of the city.
              ∙ Jesus spoke to the lamenting women.
              ∙ At the third hour (9 AM) Jesus was crucified. (Mark 15:25)

All this in only two hours???
              Last edited by Faber; 09-01-2016, 04:43 PM.
              When I Survey....

Comment

Meanwhile, guys.....

JESUS IS ALIVE!!!!!

Sorry, I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate on what day of the week it was.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Meanwhile, guys.....

JESUS IS ALIVE!!!!!

Sorry, I now return you to your regularly scheduled debate on what day of the week it was.
                  Indeed, He has risen!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

He is at the fathers right hand.
                    Amen.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's actually a pretty important discussion, because back in the day when I was an inquiring Christian newb, I would have had a problem with Jesus' three days and three nights, and the Sabbath contradiction between Mark and Luke. I probably wouldn't have bought into the explanations used to make the Friday traditional scenario fit around those problems. Some Christian newbs may not have a problem with it and take it on faith, but I wasn't one of them. IMO, it also takes away from the idea Jesus was the ultimate sacrificial lamb slain right on the day of Passover and the symbolic significance of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Faber
                        Tiberius became emperor in August, 14 AD, following the death of his father, Augustus. If we go by Roman calendar years, his fifteenth year would be 28 AD.

In John 2:13-21, when Jesus spoke about destroying the temple and rebuilding it in three days, the Jews remarked, "It took forty-six years to build this temple, and will You raise it up in three days?"

Herod the Great became king in 37 BC, and began construction of the temple in his 18th year (Josephus, Antiquities, xv.11.1), or 19 BC. The 46th year of construction would be AD 28. That agrees with Luke's dating.

Matthew, Mark and Luke mention only one Passover during Jesus’ ministry: the year when Jesus was crucified. John’s Gospel mentions three Passover holidays during the ministry of Jesus: at the beginning (John 2:13), one time in which He did not journey to Jerusalem (John 6:4) and the one in which He was crucified. If there were no other Passovers that were not mentioned, then the crucifixion would have taken place on Passover, AD 30, which agrees with the traditionally held year.
                        None of that establishes what year it was. I'm not sure why you think it does. It never says that Jesus began his ministry at the same time as John the Baptist. And since when is A.D. 30 the "traditionally held year"?

And Herod didn't build the temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          See my first post in the thread
                          That does not work since it is Sunday and they said it is the third day since all this happened which would not include Sunday. the first day would be Sat., the second would be Fri., and the third day would be Thurs.

Comment

Originally posted by bling View Post
                            That does not work since it is Sunday and they said it is the third day since all this happened which would not include Sunday. the first day would be Sat., the second would be Fri., and the third day would be Thurs.
                            no. first day was friday, second was Saturday, third was Sunday. Just like I said about my hospital procedure. It is the normal way of talking. He was in the ground 3 days: Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I had an IV put in me for three days: Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Although if you add up the actual hours, it was only 48 hours from the time I got my first IV to the third. Three days though.

Comment

Then there's Esther 4:1-5:1,
                              "Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my attendants will fast as you do. When this is done, I will go to the king, even though it is against the law. And if I perish, I perish.” On the third day Esther put on her royal robes and stood in the inner court of the palace, in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall, facing the entrance.
                              When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                                All this in only two hours???
                                Not sure where you get "two hours" from?

It presumably took all night -- anywhere from 6-12 hours, if not more?

Comment