Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Springer in the news ... wow!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
    I have to say, i've only ever seen the argument that evolution isn't compatible with the 2nd law of thermodynamics from creationists. I've never seen any serious scientist take issue with this.
    But according to Clucky it's an "open question". That's what passes for science in YECkie-land.

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
      A big BS to that.

Okay, then it's ALL "opinions" and no one is accountable for anything - you okay with that?
      No, of course you won't be "okay" with that. You're also a double-standard hypocrite.

Go back to doing whatever you were, Raphael.

Jorge
      Jorge, You know our rules around calling people liars, I know you do because I know you've been dinged for it many many many times over the years. It is incumbent on you to prove that the person is lying. Not on the other person to prove they are not lying.
      And someone expressing their OPINION, even if I think their opinion is wrong doesn't make them a liar.

I think Beagle is wrong on a number of issues (there is a lot more that I agree with you on than I agree with him on). But I don't think he is lying about it when he gives his opinion of those issues.
      Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
      1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
      -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I have to say, i've only ever seen the argument that evolution isn't compatible with the 2nd law of thermodynamics from creationists. I've never seen any serious scientist take issue with this.
        Its like they cannot comprehend that earth is not a closed system what with all that energy pouring down onto it by the sun.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Its like they cannot comprehend that earth is not a closed system what with all that energy pouring down onto it by the sun.
          ...and they've never heard of endothermic chemical reactions.

Comment

That's because the "serious scientists" you speak of either don't understand the argument and/or have been exposed to the cartoon version of it and greedily embrace that version because it suits their agenda.

Many years ago (>14) I bought and read Ernst Mayr's book What Evolution IS. I wrote a review on it. So here was this PhD, world-renowned Evolution Apostle and even he posted the cartoon version of the 2nd Law argument. Mayr died (at age 100 if memory serves me) remaining in his ignorance and/or dishonesty.

You see, Lurcho, I've been around the block quite a lot and know where many of the bodies are buried. You people are either as ignorant as the year is long or, sadly, very dishonest. NOTE: I am not here accusing you of being dishonest (in this specific instance). What I am saying is that the only way to make a pig fly is with lies, cheating and dishonesty - otherwise the pig simply plops to the ground, as well it should.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge the welsher View Post
              That's because the "serious scientists" you speak of either don't understand the argument and/or have been exposed to the cartoon version of it and greedily embrace that version because it suits their agenda.

Sorry Clucky but anyone who thinks evolutionary processes violate the 2LoT is a scientifically illiterate moron. I'm sure that group includes you.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                Jorge, You know our rules around calling people liars, I know you do because I know you've been dinged for it many many many times over the years. It is incumbent on you to prove that the person is lying. Not on the other person to prove they are not lying.
                And someone expressing their OPINION, even if I think their opinion is wrong doesn't make them a liar.

I think Beagle is wrong on a number of issues (there is a lot more that I agree with you on than I agree with him on). But I don't think he is lying about it when he gives his opinion of those issues.
                Okay, fine, so then I too was only "giving my opinion" and so he needs to shut up, Moderator R06 needs to shut up instead of demanding from me things that he won't demand from Beagle Boy and you also need to remain silent PLUS send the same message to Beagle Boy, namely, "Jorge was just expressing his opinion and so you cannot be making any demands from him."

Funny thing, I could not find that message/post anywhere.

It's got to be a single, fair standard applied to all - agreed? Otherwise, what is this?

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                  Sorry Clucky but anyone who thinks evolutionary processes violate the 2LoT is a scientifically illiterate moron. I'm sure that group includes you.

Thanks for providing the first evidence of the cartoon version that I was referring to.
                  You do not disappoint, Beagle Boy.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Jorge the welsher View Post
                    Thanks for providing the first evidence of the cartoon version that I was referring to.
                    You do not disappoint, Beagle Boy.

Thanks for providing confirmation your bogus "Cornell" Creationist conference was full of clowns and cartoons, because that's exactly what your fellow Creationist clown Granville Sewell argued at your "symposium"

Entropy, Evolution and Open Systems

Granville Sewell

"Thus unless we are willing to argue that the influx of solar energy into the Earth makes the appearance of spaceships, computers and the Internet not extremely improbable, we have to conclude that at least the basic principle behind the second law has in fact been violated here."

Comment

Okay, fine, so then I too was only "giving my opinion" and so he needs to shut up, Moderator R06 needs to shut up instead of demanding from me things that he won't demand from Beagle Boy and you also need to remain silent PLUS send the same message to Beagle Boy, namely, "Jorge was just expressing his opinion and so you cannot be making any demands from him."

It's got to be a single, fair standard applied to all - agreed? Otherwise, what is this?

Jorge
                      Calling someone a liar is more than just an opinion. It is a claim that someone has made a false statement, knowing that it was false. If that is the case it is incumbent on the accuser to support that claim.
                      Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Jorge
                        They are all trying to be fair Jorge. You just can't recognize it. The fact you don't seem to have a clue how to support an argument with evidence and often make things up as you go, ignoring the actual facts (e.g. the quote in my sig) doesn't help.

Jim
                        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Well when you think about it, to evolve, organisms have to be alive. Just being alive generates entropy. Competing and cooperating generate it. Reproducing generates it. For a bit of DNA to mutate, work has to be done on the chemical bonds, and entropy is generated.

It's hard to envisage any process within evolution that does not generate entropy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                            Calling someone a liar is more than just an opinion. It is a claim that someone has made a false statement, knowing that it was false. If that is the case it is incumbent on the accuser to support that claim.
                            Shut up, "Jedidiah"!

If you're not going to be fair and impartial then your best action is to keep your pie-hole closed.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                              They are all trying to be fair Jorge. You just can't recognize it. The fact you don't seem to have a clue how to support an argument with evidence and often make things up as you go, ignoring the actual facts (e.g. the quote in my sig) doesn't help.

Jim
                              Once again I see you making liberal use of your New Age Dictionary.

If you're not going to be fair and impartial then your best action is to keep your pie-hole closed.

BTW, still waiting to hear your stance on Hillary Clinton. Was I 'spot on'?

Jorge

Comment

Moderated By: Sparko

Enjoy your vacation Jorge. I am banning you for a month for accusations of lying, flaming, abusing the staff and being a general asshat. Executive decision. If you don't want to make it permanent, behave when you come back.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                                Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Comment