Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mysterious-star-signal-stokes-seti-hopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so what makes them think it is "intelligent"?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      so what makes them think it is "intelligent"?
      Their aim was very accurate!
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
        Their aim was very accurate!
        If they were intelligent you would think they would include a message in such an accurate beam, eh? Modulate it or something?

Comment

I saw an indication today that they've identified a human source for the signal. The server the information was on has now stopped responding, which seems... ominous.

(More realistically, it melted under the unexpected attention).

Updates as i find them...
          "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

Originally posted by TheLurch View Post
            I saw an indication today that they've identified a human source for the signal. The server the information was on has now stopped responding, which seems... ominous.

(More realistically, it melted under the unexpected attention).

Updates as i find them...
            It wasn't me, I swear!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              It wasn't me, I swear!
              If the signal was from Canada, it would have undoubtedly contained an apology for causing any fuss.
              "Any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from trolling."

Comment

And why on earth would we want to contact aliens? What if the see us as food?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  but what if THEY are food? Crispy bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                    One of the more famous Twilight Zone episodes involves first contact with aliens who land on Earth in their flying saucer. The aliens allow themselves to be interrogated as to their motives and assure the Earthlings of their good intentions. After a visit to the UN one of the aliens accidentally leaves behind a book written in the alien language. The title of the book is deciphered as "To Serve Man" which everyone takes as an indication the aliens are there to help humanity. The aliens offer to take a delegation of humans back to their home planet. As the humans are being loaded on the ship a lone scientist runs up and tries to stop them. " I've deciphered the rest of the writing!" he cries. Turns out "To Serve Man" is a cookbook.

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                      One of the more famous Twilight Zone episodes involves first contact with aliens who land on Earth in their flying saucer. The aliens allow themselves to be interrogated as to their motives and assure the Earthlings of their good intentions. After a visit to the UN one of the aliens accidentally leaves behind a book written in the alien language. The title of the book is deciphered as "To Serve Man" which everyone takes as an indication the aliens are there to help humanity. The aliens offer to take a delegation of humans back to their home planet. As the humans are being loaded on the ship a lone scientist runs up and tries to stop them. " I've deciphered the rest of the writing!" he cries. Turns out "To Serve Man" is a cookbook.
                      LOL .... Or they are like the Predator - and hunt us for trophy.
                      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by HMS_Beagle View Post
                        ...based on a short story from 1950 by Damon Knight. I've never seen the TZ episode, but I read the short story in high school. It's a classic.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I just don't want to be probed with that thing again.
                          Last edited by Cow Poke; 08-31-2016, 09:42 PM.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Source: Terry Pratchett - Hogfather

“It's amazing how good governments are, given their track records in almost every other field, at hushing up things like alien encounters. One reason may be that the aliens themselves are too embarrassed to talk about it.

It's not known why most of the space-going races of the universe want to undertake rummaging in Earthling underwear as a prelude to formal contact. But representatives of several hundred races have taken to hanging out, unsuspected by one another, in rural corners of the planet and, as a result of this, keep on abducting other would-be abductees. Some have been in fact abducted while waiting to carry out an abduction on a couple of aliens trying to abduct the aliens who were, as a result of misunderstood instructions, trying to form cattle into circles and mutilate crops.

The planet Earth is now banned to all alien races until they can compare notes and find out how many, if any, real humans they have actually got. It is gloomily suspected that there is only one - who is big, hairy, and has very large feet.

The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.”

© Copyright Original Source

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                            1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                            -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              That explains it!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                                "The only thing we've learned, is that about 10% don't seem to mind it"
                                The Kids In the Hall
                                "The Lord loves a working man, don't trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Navin R. Johnson

Comment