Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do doctors have the right to refuse to see fat patients?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No I don't think so...As Teal points out, there's only so much one could do. Treat symptoms and identify the cause. If the cause proves to be psychological, the doctor can't do much without the patient's cooperation....

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    As for the OP: Wouldn't it be a pretty blatant violation of the Hippocratic oath? (Which of course isn't legally binding, else no doctors could help with executions, or abortions, for that matter...)

The Oath is considered optional. For a doctor who took it, yes, it's a violation to simply refuse because the guy is fat. To stop after non-compliance is evident is not a violation - at that point the doctor really can't help any further unless the patient can be forced into compliance.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Sounds the man probably had a form of Praeder-Willi Syndrome. Which is a severe deficiency of multiple hormones and yes leads to overeating. In short a person never feels full, and has many social deficits. To deny him treatment, is to deny the Hippocratic Oath and much more.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    ^ Yeah, that!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    PW syndrome would also explain the high pitched voice.

I have a hard time that the God who would send Jonah out to give a last chance to the Assyrians would want us to just let people literally die of their own sins instead of do anything about it.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    PW syndrome would also explain the high pitched voice.
    Male Effeminacy Syndrome leads to passive-aggressive bullying and overeating when your feels are even the slightest bit out of whack, whatever.

I have a hard time that the God who would send Jonah out to give a last chance to the Assyrians would want us to just let people literally die of their own sins instead of do anything about it.
    There's a wide world of difference between 'cutting off any sinners on sight' and 'readily feeding, catering, and treating with a delicacy bordering on deference the demands of unrepentant bullies to the exclusion of the righteous.' You may want to explore that area sometime.

Also, remember that the book of Nahum details what happened to Nineveh AFTER the generation Jonah saved turned back to their evil ways. God called no Jonah then, and they most certainly did die in their own sins.

Faith
    Ecumenical Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoetker View Post
    Male Effeminacy Syndrome leads to passive-aggressive bullying and overeating when your feels are even the slightest bit out of whack, whatever.

There's a wide world of difference between 'cutting off any sinners on sight' and 'readily feeding, catering, and treating with a delicacy bordering on deference the demands of unrepentant bullies to the exclusion of the righteous.' You may want to explore that area sometime.

Also, remember that the book of Nahum details what happened to Nineveh AFTER the generation Jonah saved turned back to their evil ways. God called no Jonah then, and they most certainly did die in their own sins.
    also no such thing,
    COnsidering Epo, your multiple transgressions against humanity just in your words, you quite frankly deserve every bit of evil you spew out and more. if you'd like a tit for tat environment I'm sure there are many people who think you deserve absolutely nothing but a horrific tortured life.
    Last edited by Catholicity; 03-13-2014 at 07:21 AM.
    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
    George Bernard Shaw

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Epoetker View Post
    Then perhaps we should wait until such a prophet shows up before pre-emptively acting on our own. But I don't mean to derail this into a theology thread.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill