Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DNA results are in: Early humans and Neanderthals made babies together

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

DNA results are in: Early humans and Neanderthals made babies together

The following represents further research confirming earlier studies defining the relationship between homo sapiens, and other homo subspecies. The most important conclusion in this genetic research is that it confirms the modern evolution of homo sapiens, and mixing with other homo relatives as we migrated out of Africa. The Neanderthal and Denisovans DNA is missing from Africans.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/19/us/neanderthal-human-interbred-irpt/index.html

(CNN)Neanderthals may not have been as lucky as our human ancestors in the long run, but that doesn't mean the two subspecies didn't get lucky.

Scientists have discovered that Homo sapiens -- that's us -- made more babies with archaic humanlike species than initially thought. That sexual history has left a mark on the human genome, possibly influencing our immune systems and metabolism, according to a new study published in the journal of Science.

Scientists analyzed the genetic information of more than 1,500 people from all around the world and determined that ancestors of modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

They learned that some Asians, Europeans and even the Melanesians of Papua New Guinea had Neanderthal and Denisovan ancestry.

Mystery surrounds the Denisovans, which were related to Neanderthals but genetically different, in much the same way Neanderthals were distinct from modern humans. In 2008, fossil remains of Denisovans were discovered in a cave in Siberia.

The discovery of traces of Denisovan DNA in the people of Melanesia is significant because the Pacific Islanders live thousands of miles away from the Siberian region that Denisovans are believed to have existed.

"It is still not exactly clear when and where Melanesian ancestors crossed paths with Denisovans, but our best guess is somewhere in mainland Southeast Asia," University of Washington evolutionary geneticist Joshua Akey, who helped lead the study, told CNN.
    This is a likely scenario based on the low levels of Denisovan ancestry found in some South Asian populations.

The study confirms early theories that our human ancestors interbred with other hominins after they left Africa more than 50,000 years ago.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Trigger warning for Cow Poke. I am about to throw you under the bus. again.

Well, that explains a lot. Like Tassy, JimL, Jorge, Cow Poke.
    Last edited by Sparko; 08-31-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Well, that explains a lot. Like Tassy, JimL, Jorge, Cow Poke.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

4. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I figured you would think it was about you, so I obliged.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I figured you would think it was about you, so I obliged.
    But Jorge is my beloved Christian brother! You put me in the same category with Tazzy and Jimmy, and you didn't provide a trigger warning!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    But Jorge is my beloved Christian brother! You put me in the same category with Tazzy and Jimmy, and you didn't provide a trigger warning!
    Edited.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by shunyadragon View Post
    The following represents further research confirming earlier studies defining the relationship between homo sapiens, and other homo subspecies. The most important conclusion in this genetic research is that it confirms the modern evolution of homo sapiens, and mixing with other homo relatives as we migrated out of Africa. The Neanderthal and Denisovans DNA is missing from Africans.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/19/us/neanderthal-human-interbred-irpt/index.html

(CNN)Neanderthals may not have been as lucky as our human ancestors in the long run, but that doesn't mean the two subspecies didn't get lucky.

Scientists have discovered that Homo sapiens -- that's us -- made more babies with archaic humanlike species than initially thought. That sexual history has left a mark on the human genome, possibly influencing our immune systems and metabolism, according to a new study published in the journal of Science.

Scientists analyzed the genetic information of more than 1,500 people from all around the world and determined that ancestors of modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

They learned that some Asians, Europeans and even the Melanesians of Papua New Guinea had Neanderthal and Denisovan ancestry.

Mystery surrounds the Denisovans, which were related to Neanderthals but genetically different, in much the same way Neanderthals were distinct from modern humans. In 2008, fossil remains of Denisovans were discovered in a cave in Siberia.

The discovery of traces of Denisovan DNA in the people of Melanesia is significant because the Pacific Islanders live thousands of miles away from the Siberian region that Denisovans are believed to have existed.

"It is still not exactly clear when and where Melanesian ancestors crossed paths with Denisovans, but our best guess is somewhere in mainland Southeast Asia," University of Washington evolutionary geneticist Joshua Akey, who helped lead the study, told CNN.
    This is a likely scenario based on the low levels of Denisovan ancestry found in some South Asian populations.

The study confirms early theories that our human ancestors interbred with other hominins after they left Africa more than 50,000 years ago.

© Copyright Original Source

Considering that tiny amounts of Neanderthal DNA can be found in some modern populations this news seems anti-climatic.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Considering that tiny amounts of Neanderthal DNA can be found in some modern populations this news seems anti-climatic.
    Impact on the Caucasian and Oriental human genome is the important issue, not the amount. The Neanderthal DNA is already 95%+ or more common to the human genome. This research documents better the relationship and the impact on human evolution out of Africa. Much of the Caucasian and Oriental population owes its adaption to some diseases, and northern and mesic climates to the contribution of Neanderthal DNA. There is evidence that we would not have those red headed freckled, and blond beauties without Neanderthal DNA.

It is apparent when comparing the other primates living today it only takes a relatively small amount of DNA change to make a radical difference in the evolution of species.
    Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-05-2016 at 11:26 PM.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Faith
    Armo/Copticish
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Did Shunya just imply that Africans are less evolved?
    I am become death...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Where is that smiley by the fireplace? Would have gone great here as a reply.

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals --- Manya the Holy Szin --- The Quintara Marathon ---

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common --- Stephen R. Donaldson ---