Announcement

Collapse

Anthropology 201 Guidelines

Anthropology is the study of groups of people, their beliefs, practices, values, ideas, technologies, languages, economies and more.

All are welcome to post in this section, even Geico Cavemen.

A couple of caveats-- (1) racism has no place in this forum, and (2) please show a little discretion. In other words, if an attachment violates policy on the rest of TWEB, it violates policy in this forum as well, even if it depicts a highly interesting and unique aspect of some obscure culture. Keep it reasonably clean, folks.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

DNA results are in: Early humans and Neanderthals made babies together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNA results are in: Early humans and Neanderthals made babies together

The following represents further research confirming earlier studies defining the relationship between homo sapiens, and other homo subspecies. The most important conclusion in this genetic research is that it confirms the modern evolution of homo sapiens, and mixing with other homo relatives as we migrated out of Africa. The Neanderthal and Denisovans DNA is missing from Africans.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/19/us/neanderthal-human-interbred-irpt/index.html

(CNN)Neanderthals may not have been as lucky as our human ancestors in the long run, but that doesn't mean the two subspecies didn't get lucky.

Scientists have discovered that Homo sapiens -- that's us -- made more babies with archaic humanlike species than initially thought. That sexual history has left a mark on the human genome, possibly influencing our immune systems and metabolism, according to a new study published in the journal of Science.

Scientists analyzed the genetic information of more than 1,500 people from all around the world and determined that ancestors of modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

They learned that some Asians, Europeans and even the Melanesians of Papua New Guinea had Neanderthal and Denisovan ancestry.

Mystery surrounds the Denisovans, which were related to Neanderthals but genetically different, in much the same way Neanderthals were distinct from modern humans. In 2008, fossil remains of Denisovans were discovered in a cave in Siberia.

The discovery of traces of Denisovan DNA in the people of Melanesia is significant because the Pacific Islanders live thousands of miles away from the Siberian region that Denisovans are believed to have existed.

"It is still not exactly clear when and where Melanesian ancestors crossed paths with Denisovans, but our best guess is somewhere in mainland Southeast Asia," University of Washington evolutionary geneticist Joshua Akey, who helped lead the study, told CNN.
    This is a likely scenario based on the low levels of Denisovan ancestry found in some South Asian populations.

The study confirms early theories that our human ancestors interbred with other hominins after they left Africa more than 50,000 years ago.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Trigger warning for Cow Poke. I am about to throw you under the bus. again.

Well, that explains a lot. Like Tassy, JimL, Jorge, Cow Poke.
    Last edited by Sparko; 08-31-2016, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Well, that explains a lot. Like Tassy, JimL, Jorge, Cow Poke.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I figured you would think it was about you, so I obliged.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          I figured you would think it was about you, so I obliged.
          But Jorge is my beloved Christian brother! You put me in the same category with Tazzy and Jimmy, and you didn't provide a trigger warning!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            But Jorge is my beloved Christian brother! You put me in the same category with Tazzy and Jimmy, and you didn't provide a trigger warning!
            Edited.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The following represents further research confirming earlier studies defining the relationship between homo sapiens, and other homo subspecies. The most important conclusion in this genetic research is that it confirms the modern evolution of homo sapiens, and mixing with other homo relatives as we migrated out of Africa. The Neanderthal and Denisovans DNA is missing from Africans.

Source: http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/19/us/neanderthal-human-interbred-irpt/index.html

(CNN)Neanderthals may not have been as lucky as our human ancestors in the long run, but that doesn't mean the two subspecies didn't get lucky.

Scientists have discovered that Homo sapiens -- that's us -- made more babies with archaic humanlike species than initially thought. That sexual history has left a mark on the human genome, possibly influencing our immune systems and metabolism, according to a new study published in the journal of Science.

Scientists analyzed the genetic information of more than 1,500 people from all around the world and determined that ancestors of modern humans interbred with Neanderthals and Denisovans.

They learned that some Asians, Europeans and even the Melanesians of Papua New Guinea had Neanderthal and Denisovan ancestry.

Mystery surrounds the Denisovans, which were related to Neanderthals but genetically different, in much the same way Neanderthals were distinct from modern humans. In 2008, fossil remains of Denisovans were discovered in a cave in Siberia.

The discovery of traces of Denisovan DNA in the people of Melanesia is significant because the Pacific Islanders live thousands of miles away from the Siberian region that Denisovans are believed to have existed.

"It is still not exactly clear when and where Melanesian ancestors crossed paths with Denisovans, but our best guess is somewhere in mainland Southeast Asia," University of Washington evolutionary geneticist Joshua Akey, who helped lead the study, told CNN.
              This is a likely scenario based on the low levels of Denisovan ancestry found in some South Asian populations.

The study confirms early theories that our human ancestors interbred with other hominins after they left Africa more than 50,000 years ago.

© Copyright Original Source

Considering that tiny amounts of Neanderthal DNA can be found in some modern populations this news seems anti-climatic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                Considering that tiny amounts of Neanderthal DNA can be found in some modern populations this news seems anti-climatic.
                Impact on the Caucasian and Oriental human genome is the important issue, not the amount. The Neanderthal DNA is already 95%+ or more common to the human genome. This research documents better the relationship and the impact on human evolution out of Africa. Much of the Caucasian and Oriental population owes its adaption to some diseases, and northern and mesic climates to the contribution of Neanderthal DNA. There is evidence that we would not have those red headed freckled, and blond beauties without Neanderthal DNA.

It is apparent when comparing the other primates living today it only takes a relatively small amount of DNA change to make a radical difference in the evolution of species.
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 09-05-2016, 06:26 PM.
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Did Shunya just imply that Africans are less evolved?
                  I am become death...

Comment

Where is that smiley by the fireplace? Would have gone great here as a reply.
                    That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                      Where is that smiley by the fireplace? Would have gone great here as a reply.
                      I save that for flirtifying

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

A while ago, I ran the results of a DNA test I had done through some analytic tools, and found a few spots of my own genetic material that reflect some partial Neanderthal ancestry. (I was missing some of the other common ones, though.) All of us have 'em here or there.

From the original journal article, it looks like the actual news here is that, based on evaluating multiple sources of archaic DNA in Melanesian populations, the scientists have become more confident that most of our ancestral populations had multiple interbreeding events with Neanderthals, not just one. Am I reading that right?
                        "The Jesus Christ who saves sinners is the same Christ who beckons his followers to serious use of their minds for serious explorations of the world." - Mark Noll

"It cannot be that the people should grow in grace unless they give themselves to reading." - John Wesley

"Wherever men are still theological, there is still some chance of their being logical." - G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by JB DoulosChristou View Post
                          A while ago, I ran the results of a DNA test I had done through some analytic tools, and found a few spots of my own genetic material that reflect some partial Neanderthal ancestry. (I was missing some of the other common ones, though.) All of us have 'em here or there.

From the original journal article, it looks like the actual news here is that, based on evaluating multiple sources of archaic DNA in Melanesian populations, the scientists have become more confident that most of our ancestral populations had multiple interbreeding events with Neanderthals, not just one. Am I reading that right?
                          IIRC, about the only group that doesn't show traces of Neanderthal ancestry in some of their population are sub-Saharan Africans.

Comment

IIRC, about the only group that doesn't show traces of Neanderthal ancestry in some of their population are sub-Saharan Africans.
                            Correct!

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                              In other words:

* Noah and his wife cannot very well have been Neanderthal or Denisovan race,
                              * at same time, one daughter in law must have had some such background
                              * but since other studies show that Neanderthal mitocondrial and Y-chromosome are "not modern human" ...

I suppose Neanderthals were a pre-Flood race, and a Neanderthal woman had a son with a non-Neanderthal man (no Neanderthal Y chromosome), then the son had a daughter with a non-Neanderthal woman (no Neanderthal mitocondrial DNA) who married one of Noah's sons.

I suppose remains of Neanderthals in stone age like surroundings, if from pre-Flood, were either a kind of camp prisoners or a kind of Amish, having to do largely in ways which proved useful later just after Flood, during "Late Palaeolithic" to "Neolithic".
                              http://notontimsblogroundhere.blogspot.fr/p/apologetics-section.html

Thanks, Sparko, for telling how I add the link here!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X