Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brainwashing Techniques?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Brainwashing Techniques?

Any doubts, assertiveness or remaining ties to the outside world are punished by the group through criticism, guilt and alienation. Questions and doubts are systematically "turned around" so that the doubter feels wrong, worthless, "evil" for questioning. The member is loved again when he renounces those doubts and submits to the will of the leader.
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/cult4.htm

???

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    What's the question?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The part I bolded is what happened to me. Are there any ex-Mormons here?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I have seen that first hand. My wife and I - though we never set out to do this - have helped three couples and two individual women out of Mormonism. The very fact that they were talking to us triggered those things you're talking about. The one woman in Salt Lake city was told by her Stake President "talk to your husband about this". OK, he was abusing her, and the Church's response was "you need to work it out with him". When she tried to appeal, she was threatened with losing her Temple Recommend.

Same thing with the real estate agent in Houston who questioned his leadership about the outright LIE the Mormon President told about the building of the Temple in NW Houston. All he did was ask for an explanation - thinking I may have left out some important detail in showing him my evidence - and his leadership got quite angry at him for even asking the question.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

5. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    The part I bolded is what happened to me.
    First of all...

Are there any ex-Mormons here?
    Punkinhead was a Mormon when we first met her on Tweb - she has since left the Mormon Church, and is in Seminary elsewhere. I like to think we (Twebbers) had a small hand in that, just loving and encouraging her, and exposing many of the lies of Mormonism.

Perhaps even more importantly (she can answer this) is the pigheadedness and conduct of some of the Mormon "apologists" we had back then -- NRAJeff, Other Cheek, LDSTrue, Jo151363726543161176274, and others.

(It may take her a while to respond, as she's just moved back to start another semester of school.)

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't even remember my question! I was shocked that I received such a rude reply. They baptized me two weeks after I had the first discussion and I didn't know you had to DIG for answers! That was way before internet.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you don't mind my asking, what was it that got you to see through the "brainwashing"?
    Safka, you are NOT "unknown", you were loved by many, and you will not be forgotten. I will always remember you Puginator.

9. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I don't even remember my question! I was shocked that I received such a rude reply. They baptized me two weeks after I had the first discussion and I didn't know you had to DIG for answers! That was way before internet.
    The Mormons are infamous for perverting the biblical principle of "line upon line, precept upon precept"... they can't give you straight answers until you accept the stuff they feed you, and even then, they have this thing about "answer the question they SHOULD have asked, not the question they ask".

But, yeah, I'm interested, like Brum, in hearing more about your Journey.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    First of all...
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Perhaps even more importantly (she can answer this) is the pigheadedness and conduct of some of the Mormon "apologists" we had back then -- NRAJeff, Other Cheek, LDSTrue, Jo151363726543161176274, and others.
    Yup. I've been at this for a long, long time.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what was it that got you to see through the "brainwashing"?
    I don't know if you'd say I was brainwashed. I had doubts a little over a year after I joined, and yet they made me feel like it was my own fault. A smarter person would have left sooner, but my eyes were truly opened when I kept looking at a plaque on my bedroom wall. Proverbs 3:5-6. God's word opened my eyes!

13. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.