Announcement

Collapse

LDS - Mormonism Guidelines

Theists only.

Look! It's a bird, no it's a plane, no it's a bicycle built for two!

This forum is a debate area to discuss issues pertaining to the LDS - Mormons. This forum is generally for theists only, and is generaly not the area for debate between atheists and theists. Non-theists may not post here without first obtaining permission from the moderator of this forum. Granting of such permission is subject to Moderator discretion - and may be revoked if the Moderator feels that the poster is not keeping with the spirit of the World Religions Department.

Due to the sensitive nature of the LDS Temple Ceremonies to our LDS posters, we do not allow posting exact text of the temple rituals, articles describing older versions of the ceremony, or links that provide the same information. However discussion of generalities of the ceremony are not off limits. If in doubt, PM the area mod or an Admin

Non-theists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Brainwashing Techniques?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainwashing Techniques?

Any doubts, assertiveness or remaining ties to the outside world are punished by the group through criticism, guilt and alienation. Questions and doubts are systematically "turned around" so that the doubter feels wrong, worthless, "evil" for questioning. The member is loved again when he renounces those doubts and submits to the will of the leader.
    http://people.howstuffworks.com/cult4.htm

???

What's the question?

Comment

The part I bolded is what happened to me. Are there any ex-Mormons here?

Comment

I have seen that first hand. My wife and I - though we never set out to do this - have helped three couples and two individual women out of Mormonism. The very fact that they were talking to us triggered those things you're talking about. The one woman in Salt Lake city was told by her Stake President "talk to your husband about this". OK, he was abusing her, and the Church's response was "you need to work it out with him". When she tried to appeal, she was threatened with losing her Temple Recommend.

Same thing with the real estate agent in Houston who questioned his leadership about the outright LIE the Mormon President told about the building of the Temple in NW Houston. All he did was ask for an explanation - thinking I may have left out some important detail in showing him my evidence - and his leadership got quite angry at him for even asking the question.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Janice View Post
          The part I bolded is what happened to me.
          First of all...

Are there any ex-Mormons here?
          Punkinhead was a Mormon when we first met her on Tweb - she has since left the Mormon Church, and is in Seminary elsewhere. I like to think we (Twebbers) had a small hand in that, just loving and encouraging her, and exposing many of the lies of Mormonism.

Perhaps even more importantly (she can answer this) is the pigheadedness and conduct of some of the Mormon "apologists" we had back then -- NRAJeff, Other Cheek, LDSTrue, Jo151363726543161176274, and others.

(It may take her a while to respond, as she's just moved back to start another semester of school.)
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I don't even remember my question! I was shocked that I received such a rude reply. They baptized me two weeks after I had the first discussion and I didn't know you had to DIG for answers! That was way before internet.

Comment

If you don't mind my asking, what was it that got you to see through the "brainwashing"?

Comment

I don't even remember my question! I was shocked that I received such a rude reply. They baptized me two weeks after I had the first discussion and I didn't know you had to DIG for answers! That was way before internet.
                The Mormons are infamous for perverting the biblical principle of "line upon line, precept upon precept"... they can't give you straight answers until you accept the stuff they feed you, and even then, they have this thing about "answer the question they SHOULD have asked, not the question they ask".

But, yeah, I'm interested, like Brum, in hearing more about your Journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  First of all...
                  Thanks!

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Perhaps even more importantly (she can answer this) is the pigheadedness and conduct of some of the Mormon "apologists" we had back then -- NRAJeff, Other Cheek, LDSTrue, Jo151363726543161176274, and others.
                  Yup. I've been at this for a long, long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                    If you don't mind my asking, what was it that got you to see through the "brainwashing"?
                    I don't know if you'd say I was brainwashed. I had doubts a little over a year after I joined, and yet they made me feel like it was my own fault. A smarter person would have left sooner, but my eyes were truly opened when I kept looking at a plaque on my bedroom wall. Proverbs 3:5-6. God's word opened my eyes!

Comment

Cults like to turn friends and family against you too

You lose your whole world when you leave a cult because they isolate you from the world when you go in and from anyone you know in the cult when you leave

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Cults like to turn friends and family against you too

You lose your whole world when you leave a cult because they isolate you from the world when you go in and from anyone you know in the cult when you leave
                        Well, my best friend and family except for one sister had already left. And you know it was a traumatic experience to leave because people acted like I had the plague. But my Mormon friends who had moved to other states stayed in touch.

Comment

Well, my best friend and family except for one sister had already left. And you know it was a traumatic experience to leave because people acted like I had the plague.
                          Yeah, the woman in SLC really didn't know a single person who wasn't Mormon -- she lost her 'church family', her job was at a Mormon owned business, her neighbors..... she really felt alone. We found a Church for her south of SLC that just welcomed and loved her --- their Pastor was ex-Mormon, so he knew!

Comment

I don't know if you'd say I was brainwashed. I had doubts a little over a year after I joined, and yet they made me feel like it was my own fault. A smarter person would have left sooner, but my eyes were truly opened when I kept looking at a plaque on my bedroom wall. Proverbs 3:5-6. God's word opened my eyes!
                            The underlined is kind of the intent of brainwashing. The isolation just reinforces this because you can't get any "outside" information/opinion to counter it.

Thanks for answering, and I'm glad you got out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              The underlined is kind of the intent of brainwashing. The isolation just reinforces this because you can't get any "outside" information/opinion to counter it.

Thanks for answering, and I'm glad you got out of it.
                              Thank YOU! In my neighborhood, no one wanted to be friends when I was a Mormon. I've been an ex-Mormon most of my life now.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X