Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Brainwashing Techniques?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Cults like to turn friends and family against you too

You lose your whole world when you leave a cult because they isolate you from the world when you go in and from anyone you know in the cult when you leave

2. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Cults like to turn friends and family against you too

You lose your whole world when you leave a cult because they isolate you from the world when you go in and from anyone you know in the cult when you leave
    Well, my best friend and family except for one sister had already left. And you know it was a traumatic experience to leave because people acted like I had the plague. But my Mormon friends who had moved to other states stayed in touch.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    Well, my best friend and family except for one sister had already left. And you know it was a traumatic experience to leave because people acted like I had the plague.
    Yeah, the woman in SLC really didn't know a single person who wasn't Mormon -- she lost her 'church family', her job was at a Mormon owned business, her neighbors..... she really felt alone. We found a Church for her south of SLC that just welcomed and loved her --- their Pastor was ex-Mormon, so he knew!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice View Post
    I don't know if you'd say I was brainwashed. I had doubts a little over a year after I joined, and yet they made me feel like it was my own fault. A smarter person would have left sooner, but my eyes were truly opened when I kept looking at a plaque on my bedroom wall. Proverbs 3:5-6. God's word opened my eyes!
    The underlined is kind of the intent of brainwashing. The isolation just reinforces this because you can't get any "outside" information/opinion to counter it.

Thanks for answering, and I'm glad you got out of it.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    The underlined is kind of the intent of brainwashing. The isolation just reinforces this because you can't get any "outside" information/opinion to counter it.

Thanks for answering, and I'm glad you got out of it.
    Thank YOU! In my neighborhood, no one wanted to be friends when I was a Mormon. I've been an ex-Mormon most of my life now.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, the woman in SLC really didn't know a single person who wasn't Mormon -- she lost her 'church family', her job was at a Mormon owned business, her neighbors..... she really felt alone. We found a Church for her south of SLC that just welcomed and loved her --- their Pastor was ex-Mormon, so he knew!
    An ex-Mormon pastor! That would be fun.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That sorta surprises me. I've read that Mormons call SLC "Apostate City" because so many non-Mormons live there.
    Do not say, “Why were the old days better than these?”
    For it is not wise to ask such questions. - Ecclesiastes 7:10

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Janice,

You have found a good place here at Tweb.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That sorta surprises me. I've read that Mormons call SLC "Apostate City" because so many non-Mormons live there.
    Had never heard that, and been there several times, but... who knows.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    Janice,

You have found a good place here at Tweb.
    Actually, I was here years and years ago, but I think the site crashed or something because now it says I joined in 2014.