Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Council of Nicea

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Council of Nicea

I keep getting told bunk stuff about Constantine and the church, what really happened?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    He became a demon hunter. Check out "Hellblazer"

I'm always still in trouble again

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I keep getting told bunk stuff about Constantine and the church, what really happened?
    Not sure what sort of things that were said that you are referring to. The council at Nicea was an ecumenical council which dealt with the Arian controversy, Church structure, and Easter dates. Constantine is said to be instrumental in instituting paganism within Christianity. Constantine, the emperor called the council to settle some problems.

One result of the Council is the Nicean Creed, which is a summary of basic Christian beliefs. The Creedal statement is hardly pagan.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Constantine was the first Christian Roman emperor. His goal in calling the Council of Nicaea was church unity. He seems to have proposed the term homoousios ("of the same nature") to describe the relationship of the Father to the Son at the council, though he wasn't the first to use it. As can be seen by the fact that he was baptized by an Arian bishop (Eusebius of Nicodemia) on his deathbed, he actually wasn't a stickler for doctrinal purity; he just wanted everyone to get along. Although he gave lots of money to the church, he did not make Christianity the official religion of the empire (Theodosius II did that a century later).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    As a young growing Christian, TW, you need to focus on Jesus - crucified, buried and risen again. There will be all kinds of curve balls and diversions thrown your way. Satan will do his best to throw up obstacles and roadblocks.

I'm reminded of the interaction at the end of the Gospel of John, where Jesus is, in effect, "restoring" Peter (lovest thou me?) and the discussion goes to Jesus giving Peter insight into Peter's own future. Peter then looks at John, who, of course, was very close to Jesus... and Peter asks Jesus "what about him -- what will happen to John?"

Jesus says (paraphrasing) "don't you worry about others, Peter -- you follow me".

Get to know Jesus, TW. Focus on the Word.

It's OK to have questions, and it's OK to consider "what ifs", and "how comes"...... but what you really need to do is focus on following Jesus.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    He became a demon hunter. Check out "Hellblazer"
    He got a tv show too, didn't he?

[email protected]_V1_UY1200_CR93,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The reason I bring this up is because my faith is being challenged. I have stood firm. I will continue to stand firm.
    It aint easy, but I have found myself each time I am challenged growing in spirit.
    Its like what Thessalonians said about mockers and scoffers.
    Btw thank you for being here for a goofball like me.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It is usually (often fundamentalist) Protestants who pillory Constantine, but some Protestants defend him. See Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom by Peter Leithart
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    As a young growing Christian, TW, you need to focus on Jesus - crucified, buried and risen again. There will be all kinds of curve balls and diversions thrown your way. Satan will do his best to throw up obstacles and roadblocks.

I'm reminded of the interaction at the end of the Gospel of John, where Jesus is, in effect, "restoring" Peter (lovest thou me?) and the discussion goes to Jesus giving Peter insight into Peter's own future. Peter then looks at John, who, of course, was very close to Jesus... and Peter asks Jesus "what about him -- what will happen to John?"

Jesus says (paraphrasing) "don't you worry about others, Peter -- you follow me".

Get to know Jesus, TW. Focus on the Word.

It's OK to have questions, and it's OK to consider "what ifs", and "how comes"...... but what you really need to do is focus on following Jesus.
    Dang. The prodder of bovines actually gave some darn good advice here.

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Dang. The prodder of bovines actually gave some darn good advice here.
    well, he is a preacher after all.