Announcement

Collapse

Church History 201 Guidelines

Welcome to Church History 201.

Believe it or not, this is the exact place where Luther first posted the 94 thesis. We convinced him to add one.

This is the forum where the Church and its actions in history can be discussed. Since CH201, like the other fora in the History department, is not limited to participation along lines of theology, all may post here. This means that anything like Ecclesiology can be discussed without the restrictions of the Ecclesiology forum, and without the atmosphere of Ecclesiology 201 or the Apologetics-specific forum.

Please keep the Campus Decorum in mind when posting here--while 'belief' restrictions are not in place, common decency is and such is not the area to try disembowel anyone's faith.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorm, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Council of Nicea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council of Nicea

I keep getting told bunk stuff about Constantine and the church, what really happened?
    sigpic

He became a demon hunter. Check out "Hellblazer"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
      I keep getting told bunk stuff about Constantine and the church, what really happened?
      Not sure what sort of things that were said that you are referring to. The council at Nicea was an ecumenical council which dealt with the Arian controversy, Church structure, and Easter dates. Constantine is said to be instrumental in instituting paganism within Christianity. Constantine, the emperor called the council to settle some problems.

One result of the Council is the Nicean Creed, which is a summary of basic Christian beliefs. The Creedal statement is hardly pagan.

Comment

Constantine was the first Christian Roman emperor. His goal in calling the Council of Nicaea was church unity. He seems to have proposed the term homoousios ("of the same nature") to describe the relationship of the Father to the Son at the council, though he wasn't the first to use it. As can be seen by the fact that he was baptized by an Arian bishop (Eusebius of Nicodemia) on his deathbed, he actually wasn't a stickler for doctrinal purity; he just wanted everyone to get along. Although he gave lots of money to the church, he did not make Christianity the official religion of the empire (Theodosius II did that a century later).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As a young growing Christian, TW, you need to focus on Jesus - crucified, buried and risen again. There will be all kinds of curve balls and diversions thrown your way. Satan will do his best to throw up obstacles and roadblocks.

I'm reminded of the interaction at the end of the Gospel of John, where Jesus is, in effect, "restoring" Peter (lovest thou me?) and the discussion goes to Jesus giving Peter insight into Peter's own future. Peter then looks at John, who, of course, was very close to Jesus... and Peter asks Jesus "what about him -- what will happen to John?"

Jesus says (paraphrasing) "don't you worry about others, Peter -- you follow me".

Get to know Jesus, TW. Focus on the Word.

It's OK to have questions, and it's OK to consider "what ifs", and "how comes"...... but what you really need to do is focus on following Jesus.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            He became a demon hunter. Check out "Hellblazer"
            He got a tv show too, didn't he?

MV5BMTQ2MzQzMjA2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODg1MTI4MjE@._V1_UY1200_CR93,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Comment

The reason I bring this up is because my faith is being challenged. I have stood firm. I will continue to stand firm.
              It aint easy, but I have found myself each time I am challenged growing in spirit.
              Its like what Thessalonians said about mockers and scoffers.
              Btw thank you for being here for a goofball like me.
              sigpic

Comment

It is usually (often fundamentalist) Protestants who pillory Constantine, but some Protestants defend him. See Defending Constantine: The Twilight of an Empire and the Dawn of Christendom by Peter Leithart
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  As a young growing Christian, TW, you need to focus on Jesus - crucified, buried and risen again. There will be all kinds of curve balls and diversions thrown your way. Satan will do his best to throw up obstacles and roadblocks.

I'm reminded of the interaction at the end of the Gospel of John, where Jesus is, in effect, "restoring" Peter (lovest thou me?) and the discussion goes to Jesus giving Peter insight into Peter's own future. Peter then looks at John, who, of course, was very close to Jesus... and Peter asks Jesus "what about him -- what will happen to John?"

Jesus says (paraphrasing) "don't you worry about others, Peter -- you follow me".

Get to know Jesus, TW. Focus on the Word.

It's OK to have questions, and it's OK to consider "what ifs", and "how comes"...... but what you really need to do is focus on following Jesus.
                  Dang. The prodder of bovines actually gave some darn good advice here.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Dang. The prodder of bovines actually gave some darn good advice here.
                    well, he is a preacher after all.

Comment

Cowpoke is pretty insightful.
                      sigpic

Comment

Professor Richard E.*Rubenstein wrote respecting the Council of Nicaea: “Constantine had favored and enriched [the bishops] beyond their wildest dreams. In less than a year, the new emperor had returned or rebuilt virtually all their churches, given them back the jobs and honors taken from them .*.*. He had accorded Christian clergymen privileges formerly granted to pagan priests.” As a result, “Constantine was in a position strongly to influence—perhaps even to dictate—the course of events at Nicaea.” Charles Freeman confirmed: “The precedent had now been set that the emperor might intervene not only to strengthen the Church but to influence doctrine.”

Constantine sensed that the “Christian” religion—albeit apostate and deeply corrupted by then—could be effectively utilized as a revitalizing and uniting force to serve his grand scheme for imperial domination. Adopting the foundations of apostate Christianity to gain support in furthering his own political ends, he decided to unify the people under one “catholic,” or universal, religion. Pagan customs and celebrations were given “Christian” names. And “Christian” clergymen were given the status, salary, and influential clout of pagan priests.

“Constantine never abandoned sun-worship and kept the sun on his coins.” The Catholic Encyclopedia observes: “Constantine showed equal favour to both religions. As pontifex maximus he watched over the heathen worship and protected its rights.” “Constantine never became a Christian,” states the encyclopedia Hidria, adding: “Eusebius of Caesarea, who wrote his biography, says that he became a Christian in the last moments of his life. This doesn’t hold water, as the day before, [Constantine] had made a sacrifice to Zeus because he also had the title Pontifex Maximus.”
                        Down to the day of his death in 337 C.E., Constantine bore the pagan title of Pontifex Maximus, the supreme head of religious matters. Regarding his baptism, it is reasonable to ask, Was it preceded by genuine repentance and a turning around, as required in the Scriptures? (Acts 2:38, 40, 41) Was it a complete water immersion as a symbol of Constantine’s dedication to Jehovah God?—Compare Acts 8:36-39.

Just a few comments.
                        BU

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                          Not sure what sort of things that were said that you are referring to. The council at Nicea was an ecumenical council which dealt with the Arian controversy, Church structure, and Easter dates. Constantine is said to be instrumental in instituting paganism within Christianity. Constantine, the emperor called the council to settle some problems.

One result of the Council is the Nicean Creed, which is a summary of basic Christian beliefs. The Creedal statement is hardly pagan.
                          That was the council where Saint Nicolaus got up and punched Arius in the face! No Christmas presents for him!
                          When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Bibleuser View Post
                            Professor Richard E.*Rubenstein wrote respecting the Council of Nicaea: “Constantine had favored and enriched [the bishops] beyond their wildest dreams. In less than a year, the new emperor had returned or rebuilt virtually all their churches, given them back the jobs and honors taken from them .*.*. He had accorded Christian clergymen privileges formerly granted to pagan priests.” As a result, “Constantine was in a position strongly to influence—perhaps even to dictate—the course of events at Nicaea.” Charles Freeman confirmed: “The precedent had now been set that the emperor might intervene not only to strengthen the Church but to influence doctrine.”

Constantine sensed that the “Christian” religion—albeit apostate and deeply corrupted by then—could be effectively utilized as a revitalizing and uniting force to serve his grand scheme for imperial domination. Adopting the foundations of apostate Christianity to gain support in furthering his own political ends, he decided to unify the people under one “catholic,” or universal, religion. Pagan customs and celebrations were given “Christian” names. And “Christian” clergymen were given the status, salary, and influential clout of pagan priests.

“Constantine never abandoned sun-worship and kept the sun on his coins.” The Catholic Encyclopedia observes: “Constantine showed equal favour to both religions. As pontifex maximus he watched over the heathen worship and protected its rights.” “Constantine never became a Christian,” states the encyclopedia Hidria, adding: “Eusebius of Caesarea, who wrote his biography, says that he became a Christian in the last moments of his life. This doesn’t hold water, as the day before, [Constantine] had made a sacrifice to Zeus because he also had the title Pontifex Maximus.”
                            Down to the day of his death in 337 C.E., Constantine bore the pagan title of Pontifex Maximus, the supreme head of religious matters. Regarding his baptism, it is reasonable to ask, Was it preceded by genuine repentance and a turning around, as required in the Scriptures? (Acts 2:38, 40, 41) Was it a complete water immersion as a symbol of Constantine’s dedication to Jehovah God?—Compare Acts 8:36-39.

Just a few comments.
                            BU
                            You mean, just a few comments uncritically copied from JW materials. The materials start off with quoting a Jewish Lawyer with an anti-Trinitarian axe to grind, followed up with an agnostic, drifts into entirely unattributed material, and references the encyclopedia Hidria (which I can't find online, but appears to be more fantasy than fact). Y'all need to up your scholarship.

sigpic

Comment

Cowpoke is pretty insightful.

Lemme give you another insight. Bibleuser should probably change his name to Bibleconfuser. You'd be best off filing his advice in file 13.

Just my opinion.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X