Cowpoke is pretty insightful.

2. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    jehovah's witness
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    I keep getting told bunk stuff about Constantine and the church, what really happened?

Professor Richard E.*Rubenstein wrote respecting the Council of Nicaea: “Constantine had favored and enriched [the bishops] beyond their wildest dreams. In less than a year, the new emperor had returned or rebuilt virtually all their churches, given them back the jobs and honors taken from them .*.*. He had accorded Christian clergymen privileges formerly granted to pagan priests.” As a result, “Constantine was in a position strongly to influence—perhaps even to dictate—the course of events at Nicaea.” Charles Freeman confirmed: “The precedent had now been set that the emperor might intervene not only to strengthen the Church but to influence doctrine.”

Constantine sensed that the “Christian” religion—albeit apostate and deeply corrupted by then—could be effectively utilized as a revitalizing and uniting force to serve his grand scheme for imperial domination. Adopting the foundations of apostate Christianity to gain support in furthering his own political ends, he decided to unify the people under one “catholic,” or universal, religion. Pagan customs and celebrations were given “Christian” names. And “Christian” clergymen were given the status, salary, and influential clout of pagan priests.

“Constantine never abandoned sun-worship and kept the sun on his coins.” The Catholic Encyclopedia observes: “Constantine showed equal favour to both religions. As pontifex maximus he watched over the heathen worship and protected its rights.” “Constantine never became a Christian,” states the encyclopedia Hidria, adding: “Eusebius of Caesarea, who wrote his biography, says that he became a Christian in the last moments of his life. This doesn’t hold water, as the day before, [Constantine] had made a sacrifice to Zeus because he also had the title Pontifex Maximus.”
    Down to the day of his death in 337 C.E., Constantine bore the pagan title of Pontifex Maximus, the supreme head of religious matters. Regarding his baptism, it is reasonable to ask, Was it preceded by genuine repentance and a turning around, as required in the Scriptures? (Acts 2:38, 40, 41) Was it a complete water immersion as a symbol of Constantine’s dedication to Jehovah God?—Compare Acts 8:36-39.

Just a few comments.
    BU

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simplicio View Post
    Not sure what sort of things that were said that you are referring to. The council at Nicea was an ecumenical council which dealt with the Arian controversy, Church structure, and Easter dates. Constantine is said to be instrumental in instituting paganism within Christianity. Constantine, the emperor called the council to settle some problems.

One result of the Council is the Nicean Creed, which is a summary of basic Christian beliefs. The Creedal statement is hardly pagan.
    That was the council where Saint Nicolaus got up and punched Arius in the face! No Christmas presents for him!

5. Amen ke7ejx amen'd this post.
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bibleuser View Post
    Professor Richard E.*Rubenstein wrote respecting the Council of Nicaea: “Constantine had favored and enriched [the bishops] beyond their wildest dreams. In less than a year, the new emperor had returned or rebuilt virtually all their churches, given them back the jobs and honors taken from them .*.*. He had accorded Christian clergymen privileges formerly granted to pagan priests.” As a result, “Constantine was in a position strongly to influence—perhaps even to dictate—the course of events at Nicaea.” Charles Freeman confirmed: “The precedent had now been set that the emperor might intervene not only to strengthen the Church but to influence doctrine.”

Constantine sensed that the “Christian” religion—albeit apostate and deeply corrupted by then—could be effectively utilized as a revitalizing and uniting force to serve his grand scheme for imperial domination. Adopting the foundations of apostate Christianity to gain support in furthering his own political ends, he decided to unify the people under one “catholic,” or universal, religion. Pagan customs and celebrations were given “Christian” names. And “Christian” clergymen were given the status, salary, and influential clout of pagan priests.

“Constantine never abandoned sun-worship and kept the sun on his coins.” The Catholic Encyclopedia observes: “Constantine showed equal favour to both religions. As pontifex maximus he watched over the heathen worship and protected its rights.” “Constantine never became a Christian,” states the encyclopedia Hidria, adding: “Eusebius of Caesarea, who wrote his biography, says that he became a Christian in the last moments of his life. This doesn’t hold water, as the day before, [Constantine] had made a sacrifice to Zeus because he also had the title Pontifex Maximus.”
    Down to the day of his death in 337 C.E., Constantine bore the pagan title of Pontifex Maximus, the supreme head of religious matters. Regarding his baptism, it is reasonable to ask, Was it preceded by genuine repentance and a turning around, as required in the Scriptures? (Acts 2:38, 40, 41) Was it a complete water immersion as a symbol of Constantine’s dedication to Jehovah God?—Compare Acts 8:36-39.

Just a few comments.
    BU
    You mean, just a few comments uncritically copied from JW materials. The materials start off with quoting a Jewish Lawyer with an anti-Trinitarian axe to grind, followed up with an agnostic, drifts into entirely unattributed material, and references the encyclopedia Hidria (which I can't find online, but appears to be more fantasy than fact). Y'all need to up your scholarship.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

7. Amen Jedidiah amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Cowpoke is pretty insightful.

Lemme give you another insight. Bibleuser should probably change his name to Bibleconfuser. You'd be best off filing his advice in file 13.

Just my opinion.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

9. Amen Sparko, Jedidiah, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Lemme give you another insight. Bibleuser should probably change his name to Bibleconfuser. You'd be best off filing his advice in file 13.

Just my opinion.
    I was thinking Bibleabuser since he abuses the meaning of passages, but maybe that sounds too wrong.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I was thinking Bibleabuser since he abuses the meaning of passages, but maybe that sounds too wrong.
    Well, we might also consider exactly what it is he uses the Bible for - my grandmother used it to bash the "Bible bumps" on the back of her hand.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post

Just my opinion.
    The ol' round file

I'm always still in trouble again

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The ol' round file
    Which eventually makes it to the MASTER File 13....

file13logo-196x300.jpg

High Priestess of the Pot Stirrers ke7ejx's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    That was the council where Saint Nicolaus got up and punched Arius in the face! No Christmas presents for him!
    FB_IMG_1511986165791.jpg

images.jpeg

4b4cfb084f23ad984c46371d4ad4712e.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

FB_IMG_1495033013280.jpg
    I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

15. Amen Cow Poke, Faber, Zymologist, LostSheep amen'd this post.