Announcement

Collapse

Psychology 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Tweb's couch. Please join us in discussing the joys of the human psyche. Watch in wonderment as the Tweb crowd has violent mood swings. help us understand what makes us tick.

Like everywhere else at Tweb our decorum rules apply.
See more
See less

Autism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Yeah, about the only time I don't mind it is when it's "community service" as part of a sentencing arrangement. The highway trash (for example) gets picked up at little or no cost to the taxpayer, and the "volunteer" may or may not enjoy the outing - it's strictly left up to the "volunteer".
    I'm thinking of how some employers tell the people working for them that they're required to do some volunteer work (for a charity that they approve) often so that they get some sort of tax credit or at least can advertise how the company "gives back" to the community, or a school tells students that they must volunteer at an approved charity as a requirement for passing. Such coercion is one step down from a type of slavery (forcing people to work for free). Of course they are always "free" to quit.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I have a sister who has grandchildren who are, supposedly*, autistic. It is INSANE how she lets them get away with stuff "because they're special". It's like these kids have no hope of ever having a normal life, because they're being "protected".

On the other hand, we have a couple of autistic kids in our Church. One is pretty withdrawn, and hard to interact with. I wish I understood autism better. The other seems to really love me, and we have a bond. His mom told me "Erik loves you because he says you 'treat him normal'". What a novel idea! Treat people 'normal'!

*I say "supposedly", because, apparently, whatever testing (I didn't get deep into that with her) has been done reveals "slight autism"? So, it's like they've studied extreme autism, and don't realize they're pushing the grandkids to be "like that". They (my sister and her husband) seem to be amplifying any 'odd' characteristics the kids exhibit.
      It's really difficult! One autistic boy at church would hug my husband when he put his coat on. Later his dad told my husband it was because his son likes leather coats.

My granddaugher does very well academically, but she's very, very quiet. My grandson is five and still seems like a toddler (I haven't seen him in years ---he lives far away).

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
        Having grown up near Richmond, we had our local baseball team do several charity fundraisers. It's required by the league. Not that it's a bad thing, but I find the college kids that do these sort of things to be a bit more impressive because it isn't required. Plus, all that he would have had to do was go and sit in the lunch room. He didn't have to single out Bo and ask to sit with him. Good on anyone who does charity, but this was especially cool to me.
        My dad required me and my brother to give ten per cent of our allowance to charity. I appreciated that lesson SO MUCH. My mother (divorced from Dad) said that was SO WRONG. So my brother feels like we were being mistreated.

Comment

My eldest grand son is an autistic. He has a job and lives on his own. Yeah he is different, but so are a lot of us.
          Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment