Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Oldest evidence for life found in Greenland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest evidence for life found in Greenland

A team of Australian researchers appear to have found fossilized evidence of life existing in some of the world's oldest sedimentary rocks, in the Isua supracrustal belt (ISB) in southwestern Greenland along the edge of that island's icecap -- an area so remote that the team had to travel there by helicopter. The ISB is an Archean greenstone (igneous rock containing feldspar and hornblende noted for its color) belt, which consists of metamorphosed mafic volcanic and sedimentary rocks, is somewhere between 3.7 and 3.8 Billion years old (byo).

The team, led by Professor Allen Nutman, a geologist at University of Wollongong's School of Earth & Environmental Sciences, were examining a newly exposed, formerly snow-covered outcropping of iron- and magnesium-rich dolomite sedimentary rocks, and noticed some wavy and conical structures ranging from 1 to 4 cm (0.39-1,57") tall that appear to be the fossilized remnants of stromatolite microbial colonies.

Stromtolites are microbial mats of microorganisms, especially cyanobacteria, which are still being formed today by bacterial communities living in shallow water. The ISB sedimentary layers containing these stromatolites overlay volcanic rocks that have been dated at being 3.709 billion years old, and are directly under dolomite sediments and banded iron formations with thorium-uranium zircons dated at 3.695 ± 0.4 byo, so these stromatolites formed approximately 3.7 billion years ago.

If confirmed this Greenland discovery predate the oldest previously known stromatolite remains, found in the Dresser Formation of the Pilbara Craton in western Australia, by 220 million years and provide further evidence that life on earth emerged rapidly after the earth formed.

Further Reading:

Rapid emergence of life shown by discovery of 3,700-million-year-old microbial structures Full article behind a pay wall

Life thrived on young Earth: scientists discover 3.7-billion-year-old fossils

Scientists find 3.7 billion-year-old fossil, oldest yet

3.7-billion-year-old fossils may be the oldest signs of life on Earth

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Great post and thread!
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

They found Mossy's first garbage dump?

Comment