Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 155

Thread: Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

  1. #1
    Tweeb Overlord Chaotic Void's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,251
    Amen (Given)
    982
    Amen (Received)
    430

    Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

    So, who'd all be interested in a One-Shot using Pathfinder?

    1) 5th Level
    2) Epic Fantasy Point-Buy (25 Points)
    3) No Third-Party Stuff, as it's a pain figuring out what's absurdly broken. When I link to the SRD, just look for the stuff under the, "Paizo," header. That's stuff you can use.

    If need be, the GM can help you build a character.

    Main Premise?

    It's going to be a classic, "Rescue the (Influential Figure) from an evil (Something-or-Other)," game. For all you, "But I want an Ironic Reversal," Types, I'll be up-front and say not everything is as it seems... but you'll have to play the game to find out how things go down.

    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

    Here's a link to the SRD.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

  2. #2
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    12,696
    Amen (Given)
    6034
    Amen (Received)
    4616
    Me! Me!

  3. #3
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Amen (Given)
    5
    Amen (Received)
    2
    Well, it seems The Lord may have lead me here for this, thinking it was going to be for posting a thread about how to turn V:tM / V:tR games more Christ-centric, since I haven't been on these boards for months so the timing is 'suspiciously' close...

    Of course the two are hardly mutually exclusive... will be posting that thread, but will probably be going for a walk to chew matters over a bit.

    I'm thinking Human Wizard, probably generalist, Neutral Good. Would weird, mildly-harmful-if-anything, mutations be acceptable? I have a very old (SECOND Edition!) character concept for a Generalist Wizard named of Gauss* of the Greensward who has dimly glowing green eyes, and paisley-shaped swirls of bright blue, red, and yellow in his medium-brown skin due to learning his craft from a researcher who always took safety precautions when possible, but never let the inability to find a safe way stop him from proceeding. They got along famously, and Griswold is even more mutated than Gauss, having both been more on the "front lines" in the laboratory and at it for longer.
    *First name could be altered if that is too meta... but I'd rather not.

    If the mutations/backstory are reasonable, we can discuss the possibility of the variant semi-familiar* that goes with the concept, but could easily be dropped if necessary.
    *Part of the thing deal with Serendipity the Cat is that Gauss and Griswold could never conclusively determine if Serendipity actually DID have an arcane bond with Gauss and/or Serendipity's intellectual level.

  4. #4
    tWebber Spartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,996
    Amen (Given)
    264
    Amen (Received)
    960
    I'm up for it if we're all on the same page about what sort of game we're planning to play.

  5. Amen Carrikature amen'd this post.
  6. #5
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Amen (Given)
    5
    Amen (Received)
    2
    Spartacus: How do you mean?

    FWIW, here is my sheet so far: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=930589
    Yes, the stats are min-maxed. that is actually how the character originally came to be. our GM gave us an ability score generation method ripe for abuse (they just had to add up to a specific number)... I "abused" it then showed it to him immediately. He said "You better give me a really good backstory to go with this..." so I had some motivation that ended up combining with a sleep-deprivation twisted background writing (the cause of some of my best work really...) and, well, I may have to type it up from scratch, but I think I can at least provide the more interesting parts if requested. It is good enough that it is one of my free-form "hang out and IC and talk about real or imaginary lives as the mood strikes us" IRC etc chat characters.

  7. #6
    Tweeb Overlord Chaotic Void's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,251
    Amen (Given)
    982
    Amen (Received)
    430
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco Dei View Post
    Well, it seems The Lord may have lead me here for this, thinking it was going to be for posting a thread about how to turn V:tM / V:tR games more Christ-centric, since I haven't been on these boards for months so the timing is 'suspiciously' close...

    Of course the two are hardly mutually exclusive... will be posting that thread, but will probably be going for a walk to chew matters over a bit.

    I'm thinking Human Wizard, probably generalist, Neutral Good. Would weird, mildly-harmful-if-anything, mutations be acceptable? I have a very old (SECOND Edition!) character concept for a Generalist Wizard named of Gauss* of the Greensward who has dimly glowing green eyes, and paisley-shaped swirls of bright blue, red, and yellow in his medium-brown skin due to learning his craft from a researcher who always took safety precautions when possible, but never let the inability to find a safe way stop him from proceeding. They got along famously, and Griswold is even more mutated than Gauss, having both been more on the "front lines" in the laboratory and at it for longer.
    *First name could be altered if that is too meta... but I'd rather not.

    If the mutations/backstory are reasonable, we can discuss the possibility of the variant semi-familiar* that goes with the concept, but could easily be dropped if necessary.
    *Part of the thing deal with Serendipity the Cat is that Gauss and Griswold could never conclusively determine if Serendipity actually DID have an arcane bond with Gauss and/or Serendipity's intellectual level.
    I'm a fan of keeping it simple (especially with a complex system that I'm still getting a grasp on, and for a playing a one-shot like this). If you're fine saying that the mutations are why he has such a low Charisma score (the colored swirls tend to weird people out and make them uneasy around him) and treat Serendipity like a normal familiar (with ambiguity of the bond as something with more narrative focus), then the concept can totally work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
    I'm up for it if we're all on the same page about what sort of game we're planning to play.
    Yeah, you're gonna have to elaborate/clarify Sparty.

    On my end? Story-wise, this is a Trope game with some crazy twist(s) thrown in. Game-wise, you'll be going around town, wandering a small fortress, and probably smacking some people around (not necessarily in that order).

    PS... Before I forget, we're doing Max HP rules so you don't have to roll HP. (otherwise, this will regress into a Meat Grinder VERY quickly).
    Last edited by Chaotic Void; 09-02-2016 at 08:39 AM.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

  8. #7
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,578
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1074
    Count me in.
    I'm not here anymore.

  9. #8
    tWebber
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Near Atlanta, GA
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    187
    Amen (Given)
    5
    Amen (Received)
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Void View Post
    I'm a fan of keeping it simple (especially with a complex system that I'm still getting a grasp on, and for a playing a one-shot like this). If you're fine saying that the mutations are why he has such a low Charisma score (the colored swirls tend to weird people out and make them uneasy around him) and treat Serendipity like a normal familiar (with ambiguity of the bond as something with more narrative focus), then the concept can totally work.
    That was the idea with the mutations*. As for Serendipity... I am going to cut to the chase and simply omit him**. He isn't core to the concept, and originally came into existence because I noticed that the PHB (or one of the other books we were using?) had a market price listing for "cat", and I thought "Why not?".

    *Well, PART of the reason for the low charisma score, the other part being: Nerd who rarely does anything but study and research.
    **Let me put it this way... mechanic was that one rolled approximately every hour for his fur color/general appearance. The options ranged from "Tabby" at the mundane end and on up into "Mandelbrot Set", "Night Sky with Possible Moon, (and Shooting Stars?)", and "Entire Cat Now Invisible Except for Skeleton". I'd have to recreate the chart from scratch, and even then there was a chance to end up on a secondary chart that could have him able to cover himself in miniature lightning-bolts al la Blanka from Street Fighter (mostly used to get rid of those pesky fleas), conjure up tiny chunks of raw meat (mouse sized...), a Slay Living effect that only worked on things with only 1 hitpoint (and maybe below a certain size? Definitely would include a "Diminutive or smaller" limit on that one if I ever re-create it), or turn incorporeal. Even without the secondary chart, I don't think you would go for that regardless of his place on the scale of "animal who follows me around because I feed and pet him, but is hardly likely to come to my aid in meaningful way" to "minion I command because I off-site-placement-ed a piece of my soul into him.", which is how I fluff familiars and the associated potential for XP loss in 3.X (I also houserule you go out and GET an animal, and the spell just happens to normalize its ability scores, rather than summoning it, but that is even more tangential to THIS campaign.).

    tl;dr: I'll play the dude, never mind about the weirdo cat.

  10. #9
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,578
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1074
    I'm looking at a gunslinger type. Thank you, Stephen King.
    I'm not here anymore.

  11. #10
    tWebber Carrikature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Oregon
    Faith
    Non-Theist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,578
    Amen (Given)
    2084
    Amen (Received)
    1074
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    I'm looking at a gunslinger type. Thank you, Stephen King.
    I realize that firearms can really change the world, so feel free to shoot this down.
    I'm not here anymore.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •