Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder One-Shot: Any Takers?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I wanna be an investigator!!!!!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrikature View Post
    I realize that firearms can really change the world, so feel free to shoot this down.
    The big thing is that, if you're a Gunslinger, you can basically attack vs Touch AC all the time. I'll allow it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco Dei View Post
    That was the idea with the mutations*. As for Serendipity... I am going to cut to the chase and simply omit him**. He isn't core to the concept, and originally came into existence because I noticed that the PHB (or one of the other books we were using?) had a market price listing for "cat", and I thought "Why not?".

*Well, PART of the reason for the low charisma score, the other part being: Nerd who rarely does anything but study and research.
    **Let me put it this way... mechanic was that one rolled approximately every hour for his fur color/general appearance. The options ranged from "Tabby" at the mundane end and on up into "Mandelbrot Set", "Night Sky with Possible Moon, (and Shooting Stars?)", and "Entire Cat Now Invisible Except for Skeleton". I'd have to recreate the chart from scratch, and even then there was a chance to end up on a secondary chart that could have him able to cover himself in miniature lightning-bolts al la Blanka from Street Fighter (mostly used to get rid of those pesky fleas), conjure up tiny chunks of raw meat (mouse sized...), a Slay Living effect that only worked on things with only 1 hitpoint (and maybe below a certain size? Definitely would include a "Diminutive or smaller" limit on that one if I ever re-create it), or turn incorporeal. Even without the secondary chart, I don't think you would go for that regardless of his place on the scale of "animal who follows me around because I feed and pet him, but is hardly likely to come to my aid in meaningful way" to "minion I command because I off-site-placement-ed a piece of my soul into him.", which is how I fluff familiars and the associated potential for XP loss in 3.X (I also houserule you go out and GET an animal, and the spell just happens to normalize its ability scores, rather than summoning it, but that is even more tangential to THIS campaign.).

tl;dr: I'll play the dude, never mind about the weirdo cat.
    Groovy!

Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I wanna be an investigator!!!!!
    Those can be fun... We've got one in the Noir Pathfinder game I'm a part of.
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can start with crafting done, right? It is just when you start SELLING stuff you crafted that you would call "Cheese!" ? I took Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item because they went with the character concept, plus, of course, I have Scribe Scroll for being a Wizard.

Also, a strict reading of the rules would place the price for a mithril dagger at 252 GP. I'm getting one regardless, but if you want me to pay 502 GP for it instead (IE base the price on the weight BEFORE the weight reduction, despite Mithral not having Darkwood's clause about it being such) I would be willing since I am getting a masterwork weapon that bypasses DR/Silver without taking Alchemical Silver's -1 to damage out of it (and has a higher hardness I think...). Not the biggest deal on a Str 10 poor BAB character, but I thought I would mention it...
    Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-03-2016 at 03:50 AM.

tWebber
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    The caster levels listed with EVERY item don't seem to be a requirement, but only if something is listed separately in the "Creation" section, right? I ask because Handy Haversack has a caster level of 9. I am hiring the actual casting of the spell(Secret Chest). It seems I only need one casting of it since it would be coming from a "live" casting, and the multiple castings are only referred to for spells coming from items? The rules for creating magic items seem split between two different places in my book and they don't seem to be in perfect agreement. This is the difference between my saving myself 550 GP because I have the right feat and can make the Spellcraft check, and 100 GP.

Also, can I spend 50 GP for extensive notes I have made on a given broad subject to create a masterwork tool for that subject? Naturally looking through said notes would not be instantaneous, but I could always try from memory and then we could remember the result and spending the time (an hour or two?) to study in my notes at a later time would give me an outcome as if I had rolled 2 higher than that. Successful nerds in most fields tend to develop extensive collections of such notes rather than just keeping around pre-existing reference-books. I already have him with a set of Masterwork glassblowing tools (which, for the record include several metal tubes and rods at least 5 feet long and probably more like 10 feet... hardly something that will fit in my Haversack... guess I will be leaving it in the "Inn" or carrying it over my shoulder in a padded*, water-proof sleeve...)

*Otherwise something might get bent if I have to drop it to deal with an attack or other emergency?

Really working this "uber-nerdy" angle...

Note that that will not mean "Shy and Retiring", he may not get the attention of people who don't know him well when he speaks up, but he certainly is going to be outspoken in his attempts to strategically analyze everything... survival, for him is merely an exercise in proper initial data gather, pre-planning, and execution with on-the-fly or "now let's stop and think a bit..." adjustments as necessary. In other words, the polar opposite of "kick in the door". Expect snark if pre-emptive door-kicking by others occurs, or respect if someone manages to outplan him (by which I mean outplan me).

On a "completely unrelated" note, would anyone care to venture a guess which small, brightly colored equine I most see myself in? If not, go outside... watch the sun sink below the horizon, I'm sure a small glowing "zap" of realization will come to your brain...
    Last edited by Draco Dei; 09-03-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Faith
    Broman Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Someone poke me wednesday if I haven't posted anything character creation-related by then, k?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I can start with crafting done, right? It is just when you start SELLING stuff you crafted that you would call "Cheese!" ? I took Brew Potion and Craft Wondrous Item because they went with the character concept, plus, of course, I have Scribe Scroll for being a Wizard.

Also, a strict reading of the rules would place the price for a mithril dagger at 252 GP. I'm getting one regardless, but if you want me to pay 502 GP for it instead (IE base the price on the weight BEFORE the weight reduction, despite Mithral not having Darkwood's clause about it being such) I would be willing since I am getting a masterwork weapon that bypasses DR/Silver without taking Alchemical Silver's -1 to damage out of it (and has a higher hardness I think...). Not the biggest deal on a Str 10 poor BAB character, but I thought I would mention it...
    I only have one rule when it comes to cheese... you bring it to the table, you bring enough for your teammates.

(Basically, I'll allow it, but other players can request that you make items for them as long as they cover the costs)

On a related note, to keep things simple, I'm going to say that the group has been adventuring with each other for a while now. Also, because I derped and forgot to post starting gold, we're doing 10'500 (which is standard for Level 5 starting Wealth)

The caster levels listed with EVERY item don't seem to be a requirement, but only if something is listed separately in the "Creation" section, right? I ask because Handy Haversack has a caster level of 9. I am hiring the actual casting of the spell(Secret Chest). It seems I only need one casting of it since it would be coming from a "live" casting, and the multiple castings are only referred to for spells coming from items? The rules for creating magic items seem split between two different places in my book and they don't seem to be in perfect agreement. This is the difference between my saving myself 550 GP because I have the right feat and can make the Spellcraft check, and 100 GP.

Also, can I spend 50 GP for extensive notes I have made on a given broad subject to create a masterwork tool for that subject? Naturally looking through said notes would not be instantaneous, but I could always try from memory and then we could remember the result and spending the time (an hour or two?) to study in my notes at a later time would give me an outcome as if I had rolled 2 higher than that. Successful nerds in most fields tend to develop extensive collections of such notes rather than just keeping around pre-existing reference-books. I already have him with a set of Masterwork glassblowing tools (which, for the record include several metal tubes and rods at least 5 feet long and probably more like 10 feet... hardly something that will fit in my Haversack... guess I will be leaving it in the "Inn" or carrying it over my shoulder in a padded*, water-proof sleeve...)

*Otherwise something might get bent if I have to drop it to deal with an attack or other emergency?

Really working this "uber-nerdy" angle...

Note that that will not mean "Shy and Retiring", he may not get the attention of people who don't know him well when he speaks up, but he certainly is going to be outspoken in his attempts to strategically analyze everything... survival, for him is merely an exercise in proper initial data gather, pre-planning, and execution with on-the-fly or "now let's stop and think a bit..." adjustments as necessary. In other words, the polar opposite of "kick in the door". Expect snark if pre-emptive door-kicking by others occurs, or respect if someone manages to outplan him (by which I mean outplan me).

On a "completely unrelated" note, would anyone care to venture a guess which small, brightly colored equine I most see myself in? If not, go outside... watch the sun sink below the horizon, I'm sure a small glowing "zap" of realization will come to your brain...
    Re: Item Crafting... From what I've seen, unless it says in the Requirements you have to be a certain level, you just have to be able to cast the spell somehow (ie, via a scroll or hiring someone to cast it).
    Re: 50GP Masterwork... I'll allow it once.

[GM]
    So... anyone need help building a character? Looks like we've got a Gunslinger, a Wizard, and an Investigator.
    [/GM]
    Mercenary Maxim 37: There is No 'Overkill.' There is merely 'Open Fire,' and 'I need to Reload.'

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm interested. Especially if I can be a cyborg-cleric of some kind. I'd need help with character creation, I think, but, other than that, as long as the GM does their job, I should be able to play easily and properly.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rational Gaze View Post
    I'm interested. Especially if I can be a cyborg-cleric of some kind. I'd need help with character creation, I think, but, other than that, as long as the GM does their job, I should be able to play easily and properly.
    Well, there is an Android race so if you want that can be arranged.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-.../android-16-rp