Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Ethics 301 Guidelines

This forum is for Christians to discuss ethical issues within Christianity. Non-theists, non-christians, and unorthodox Christians should not post here without first getting permission from the area's moderators.

If you have a question about what's OK and what's not OK, please contact the moderators.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Comedy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comedy

Before I came to believe I made some crude jokes about Christianity. I found that my sense of humour has changed quite a bit. Still I am curious how should humor be viewed?
    sigpic

Ephesians 5:4 forbids "coarse jesting". This website goes into detail about what specifically the Greek word there means: http://lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVa...09/06-02d.html
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Wow. Insightful article.
      A lot of my humore has changed from stuff like dead babyjokes to stuff like slapstick and the like.
      The bible also does use puns sometimes.
      sigpic

Comment

I think God has a sense of humor.

I remember once when an 85 year old man got saved in our Church. When I introduced him to the congregation, I explained how rare it was for a person to get saved after living 85 years without Jesus - statistically really rare. While I'm explaining that, one of my other older men was sitting about the third row, and he was weeping. I asked him if he was OK, and he said, "I think I need to get saved".

OK, so much for it being THAT rare, but then an older lady in a wheelchair motioned to me to come talk to her. I knelt down by her wheelchair, and she said "I've been going to Church all my life, and I know everybody probably thinks I'm saved, but I never asked Jesus to save me and forgive me....."

So, yeah, I think God has a sense of humor!

And, as they say, if you disagree, just tell God your plans!

ETA - I baptized FOUR senior adults the next Sunday, three of which were over 80 years old.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Awesome that's adorable CP.
          Also as mentioned before the bible has some funny moments.
          Like Elijah using clever wordplay at Mt Peor. The puns in Hebrew about Jez Ebel and Nebuchanezzer. Is Sachs very name came from laughter.
          sigpic

Comment

Autocorrect the source of many a joke.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
              Autocorrect the source of many a joke.
              Autocorrect has become my worst enema.

Comment

I think one problem I might have is that I'm around a lot of non-Christians at work, some who do make crude jokes and even notwithstanding it being difficult to join in, its also difficult to not at the very least crack a smile. I think what I'm going to do is try to be neutral. It is hard because sometimes I'll say something very neutral or innocent sounding and it will get twisted. I don't want to be a stick in the mud but I do want to have standards. It can be difficult to determine when its okay to laugh and when I should be reserved.

I tend to like wit and situational humor. Slapstick, not so much, and I literally cringe and stick my fingers in my ears at (not sure what name for it is) embarrassing humor--humor that is essentially taking delight in someone else's embarrassment.
                Last edited by Paula; 09-03-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X