Announcement

Collapse

Study Room Guidelines

Ok it isn't so quiet in here but our resident librarian will ensure that there is good discussion on literature, prose, poetry, etc. You may also post sermons, notes, and the like as long as it is not copyrighted material and within reason of the post length regulation.

We encourage you to take a lose look at the threads and offer honest and useful input. This forum is a place where we discuss literature of any media, as well as personal creations by some of our own wordsmiths. Debate is encouraged, but we often find ourselves relaxing here.

Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

A novice on C.S Lewis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A novice on C.S Lewis.

Lewis is a weird case. I knew nothing about him for years except that he was a freind to one of my davorite authors, J.R.R Tolkein. It was when I was around 11 that I heard about Narnia. The movie just seemed hollow. As if it was trying to hard to follow Jackson's formula of fantasy films.
    Now however I find that his stylings fit quite nicely. Mere Christianity is as heartwarming as it is profound. The screwtape letters as horrifying as they are a perfect portrait of the mundane temptation we all go through.
    It is rather interesting as well that he is a legend in terms of science fiction and fantasy. I have not yet read those.
    What do you guys think?
    sigpic

I love CS Lewis' books. Mere Christianity is probably my favorite book on Christianity. If someone is wanting to learn about Christianity, that is the book to read first. Other than the Bible, that is

Comment

He is considered one of the Giants of modern Christianity. But don't mind me... I was raised on him. You should sit down and read the Chronicles of Narnia - in the order they were published. His space trilogy is easy to read also but not recommended for kids for reasons you will understand but you should read them too...very relevant to today.

I discovered his non fiction works at the college library....bliss.
      Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

I heard space trillogy gets well adult.
        If I can handle fist of the north star and Kamen Rider amazon it should be ok.
        The bible is a truly great book and to think it could reach so many people is truly amazing. Praise be to the lord.
        sigpic

Comment

It feels nice to have people to talk to about things like this.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
            I heard space trillogy gets well adult.
            If I can handle fist of the north star and Kamen Rider amazon it should be ok.
            For me, the space trilogy was very dull. I've really enjoyed his other material.
            (and I prefer reading the Chronicls of Narnia in chronological order, not publishing order)

The bible is a truly great book and to think it could reach so many people is truly amazing. Praise be to the lord.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Narnia does interest me. It is a legend in fantasy after all. I was not aware there were different reading orders.
              sigpic

Comment

Mere Christianity is a must and the Screwtape Letters is also good. Been decades since I read either (actually never read the latter but rather our Sunday school teacher read a chapter a week aloud). For me the Narnia books (didn't read them all), while good, just aren't as good as The Lord of the Rings.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Mere Christianity is incredible. To think it was talked on radio as the nazis bombed Europe. Man faith can change even the most timid of people into lions.
                  Faith is transformative.
                  sigpic

Comment

I remember reading Mere Christianity, Abolition of Man, the Great Divorce, and the Screwtape Letters in high school. Pretty sure I also discovered G.K. Chesterton around the same time.
                    Don't call it a comeback. It's a riposte.

Comment

Screwtape really made me cognizant of the enemy and how they are present and watching everything we do... Definitely a good read.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

C.S. Lewis was highly insightful. One of my favorite nonfiction authors. I've read and reread some of his stuff over and over. I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned the Problem of Pain, because I liked it as well.
                        "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Abolition of man interest me alongside a book by Groutius ( His name is hard to spell) called the soul in cyverspace.
                          sigpic

Comment

I really liked the Space Trilogy. Along with the breathtaking visuals and alien world building done throughout, I liked how he deconstructed so many modern assumptions and ideologies. Sometimes rather hilariously.

Comment

Lewis is pretty good at debunking.
                              sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X