Announcement

Collapse

Economics 301 Guidelines

This is the area where economic theories and trends are discussed.

Balance your checkbook before participating.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Being Nice Can Save You Money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being Nice Can Save You Money!

Spanish café begins charging more for coffee if customers are rude

Source: IndependentUK

A café in Spain has begun charging its customers more for their coffees and pastries if they are rude when ordering.

Restaurant Blau Grifeu in Llanca charges rude customers €5 for their morning pick-me-up while those who behave more graciously pay just €3.

Saying 'please' and wishing the barista a good morning will get you a coffee for as little as €1.30.

Marisel Valencia Madrid, the owner of Restaurant Blau Grifeu, said the scheme is working and that customers are beginning to be more polite to her staff.

“People seem to be in a rush these days and forgetting to say 'please' when they ask for something,” she told the Times.

© Copyright Original Source

I love it! A great restaurant model!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

customers attitude.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I used to do that when I did graphic and web design. some customers were real pains in the rear so I started charging them more to deal with them. I called it the Jerk Charge.

If someone was fun to work with, I would do extra for them for free and even not charge them for some of my time.

Comment

Hmm, what about when the employee/owner has the bad attitude?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post

90d.jpg

Comment

I think, since the owner is setting the tone here, and the emphasis is on being polite, that he/she is gonna be OK. Naturally, this would only work with somebody who was focused on polite, cordial service.

As for employees, I'm betting they wouldn't last long if they weren't playing along. And, with more polite customers, it's a lot easier to be a polite server.

We can see the difference all across America when we go into a Chick-Fil-A as opposed to a McDonald's. Just sayin'. It's obvious that the "business model" of Chick-Fil-A includes well trained polite young people who know how to smile and interact with customers. McDonald's, on the other hand, is more focused on "over XXX-BILLION Burgers Sold".
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]18320[/ATTACH]
              For some reason, I just thought of Col Jessup (A Few Good Men) - "but you have to ask me nicely".

Comment

Aint none of you heard of Stubbs?
                Aint no loud talk and no bad talk in this place.
                sigpic

Comment

I have stopped shopping in certain places because of the attitude of some of the staff. Local Safeway for example.

I have been on both sides of the counter, so I know that customer service is important, but a miserable customer can ruin your whole day, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I have stopped shopping in certain places because of the attitude of some of the staff. Local Safeway for example.

I have been on both sides of the counter, so I know that customer service is important, but a miserable customer can ruin your whole day, too.
                    I stopped in at a meeting of our local Chamber of Commerce (I'm a member, but rarely attend), and asked if I could ask a question. (two questions, actually, since the first one was about asking the second one)

They were spending big bucks on a "Shop Local" campaign, cause we're only 30 miles from a couple other towns where people can, and do tend to, shop.

I asked, "Why are we having to spend money on a campaign to get people to shop locally when the reason that so many of us do not shop locally is because the local businesses often don't seem to give a flyin' flip that we're shopping there?"

They looked stunned for a minute, and I said, "instead of spending money on trying to convince people to shop locally, maybe you should spend some time trying to find out why they don't".

It actually turned into a cordial conversation, with several of the chamber members giving their own examples of rudeness or aloofness or bad service by some of our local businesses.

(as so often happens I got drafted to head up that "why don't people shop locally" survey)

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      I stopped in at a meeting of our local Chamber of Commerce (I'm a member, but rarely attend), and asked if I could ask a question. (two questions, actually, since the first one was about asking the second one)

They were spending big bucks on a "Shop Local" campaign, cause we're only 30 miles from a couple other towns where people can, and do tend to, shop.

I asked, "Why are we having to spend money on a campaign to get people to shop locally when the reason that so many of us do not shop locally is because the local businesses often don't seem to give a flyin' flip that we're shopping there?"

They looked stunned for a minute, and I said, "instead of spending money on trying to convince people to shop locally, maybe you should spend some time trying to find out why they don't".

It actually turned into a cordial conversation, with several of the chamber members giving their own examples of rudeness or aloofness or bad service by some of our local businesses.

(as so often happens I got drafted to head up that "why don't people shop locally" survey)
                      That has happened in my town, as well. I haven't asked the Chamber about it, but over and over I end up going to The Big City or The Smaller City (both about the same distance away) because local shops don't carry what I want or need. And when I ask, they just shrug as if to say, "Oh, well.".

I worked in the early-mid 90's in a craft shop in town. The owner bent over backwards to get items in that people wanted, even if she didn't normally carry them. Can't say the same for a lot of other stores here.

Comment

That has happened in my town, as well. I haven't asked the Chamber about it, but over and over I end up going to The Big City or The Smaller City (both about the same distance away) because local shops don't carry what I want or need. And when I ask, they just shrug as if to say, "Oh, well.".

I worked in the early-mid 90's in a craft shop in town. The owner bent over backwards to get items in that people wanted, even if she didn't normally carry them. Can't say the same for a lot of other stores here.
                        Usually, when I find really good service locally, I'll ask, "are you part of the owner's family"? Often, that's it! They have skin in the game. We have a Mexican Restaurant where customer service is just absolutely wonderful - and it's almost all family and extended family. You don't have to visit there very often before they're calling you by name, and guessing what you're going to order.

Comment

Not being able to get the stuff you want/need is really bad. It's even worse when they stop manufacturing it entirely. They tend to do that with most everything I actually like.

Comment

Not being able to get the stuff you want/need is really bad. It's even worse when they stop manufacturing it entirely. They tend to do that with most everything I actually like.
                            It's almost as bad as when they totally rearrange Walmart after I learn exactly where the stuff is that I want.

Comment

I know!

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X